Newbie From the Show Me State!

Gotta love Percy and the Gauntlet.:)

Welcome lilbug. Warning though. There be assholes here. Just hiss at them and give them the evil eye.

K- Rule #2 - Assholes = hiss and evil eye. Got it! :razz:

Uummmmm, single female from the Show me State.........
typical male on the show me messageboard........ :eusa_whistle:
:D
Welcome!

Last edited:
rut-roh!! :eek: Not the Gauntlet!

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow?

Well, funny you should ask, I was just having a discussion about this the other day...razz:

Air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour.

WTH??!!!:lol: Thank God for Google!

What if it is carrying a coconut?

This is the 'Gauntlet', after all :)

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow?

Well, funny you should ask, I was just having a discussion about this the other day...razz:

Air speed velocity of an unladen European swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour.

They cannot carry coconuts, they have no thumbs, or a severe allergy to coconuts, or it's against their religion.....pick one! :razz:

Hi ya folks! Single lady lookin for a place to share thoughts and generally spout off and landed here! Debating with my dog hasn't quite panned out...she's a great listener, but not much on feedback!

Hi Lilbug. I'm a noob too, and not an American one so... what's a Show Me State?

They cannot carry coconuts, they have no thumbs, or a severe allergy to coconuts, or it's against their religion.....pick one! :razz:

They just have it on a line under the dorsal guiding feathers. No contact with coconut, and no thumbs required. Just find an agnostic swallow.

Hi ya folks! Single lady lookin for a place to share thoughts and generally spout off and landed here! Debating with my dog hasn't quite panned out...she's a great listener, but not much on feedback!

Hi Lilbug. I'm a noob too, and not an American one so... what's a Show Me State?

Hi ya! Welcome! Show Me State...that would be Missouri!

The state I'm in when a young lady is standing in front of me wearing just a robe....... :eusa_whistle:

I like you!!

The state I'm in when a young lady is standing in front of me wearing just a robe....... :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

I picked that up from the ref to St. Louis and KC, but what is a Show Me State? What does it mean? Show Me what? Where did the name come from and to what does it refer?

I picked that up from the ref to St. Louis and KC, but what is a Show Me State? What does it mean? Show Me what? Where did the name come from and to what does it refer?

Essentially it means, "prove it."

There are a multitude of potential origins of the term usage for Missouri but most everyone claims it was popularized by Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1897 to 1903. In a speech once, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Newbie From the Show Me State!

Welcome.

president.jpg

Just mention the single part a few times in the Coffee Shop thread found under the General section. I can almost guarantee you some interesting posts from a few "gentlemen".

There are a multitude of potential origins of the term usage for Missouri but most everyone claims it was popularized by Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1897 to 1903. In a speech once, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for. It's a kind of unusual thing to adopt as your state's nickname, but I understand now. Thanks so much for taking the time to educate a foreigner. Now then, what's a Hoosier? :razz:

Excellent! That's exactly what I was looking for. It's a kind of unusual thing to adopt as your state's nickname, but I understand now. Thanks so much for taking the time to educate a foreigner. Now then, what's a Hoosier? :razz:

People from Indiana have a problem pronouncing the Canadian hoser........ :D
The origin has more speculation attached to it than the show me origin but it is generally believed to have been a derogatory name for backwoodsman and, or hillbilly. The claimed folkloric origins are extremely varied from frontier greetings to boatman fighters to canal construction workers named after their boss.
It's the only state in the union that uses something other than it's state's name as it's official demonym.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back