New York Times piece on white Supremacist: JIM GERAGHTY 's take on it

a loss for words

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2017
upper left corner of the republic
I’d argue that the Times profile does offer a clue or two about Hovater’s radicalization, but the correspondent and editors missed them.

My guess is, Hovater sees himself as smart and hard-working and feels like he should be doing better. He feels like he ought to be closer to the top than being a welder in New Carlisle, Ohio, registering for his wedding at Target. I suspect he feels like he has followed “the rules” and been inadequately rewarded, and that others have broken “the rules” and gotten ahead. He has probably concluded this means “the rules” are not legitimate, and they are there to keep him down and help others get ahead.

People seek scapegoats, and a lot of hate is seeking someone to blame. I’d argue the greatest antidote to hate in society is individual responsibility. If your life stinks, at least half of your problems are a result of decisions you’ve made. People loathe hearing this.

You’re just one person. You did the best you could. Your decision to drop out of school, not study, slack off at work, have a bad attitude, lose your temper, drink too much, try drugs, have unprotected sex, do something stupid and reckless — none of that really mattered, so long as the Bilderbergers and the Trilateral Commission are working together to ensure you never get ahead. People hate other groups because that mindset is reassuring. Because the alternative, to examine your mistakes, bad judgment, and worst impulses, would mean redirecting all of that frustration and anger in the direction of the person most responsible: yourself. How many people in hate groups are trying to suppress or escape the fact that they hate themselves?

Read more at: What to Do about Conyers .

I really have nothing to add. This is, at bottom, the source of ALL hate groups from ANTIFA to the Nazis.

It is true that there are horrible thieves at the head of our government. The amount the Clintons stole is staggering. But they don't stop you from getting ahead. They worked hard long hours when they weren't stealing everything not red hot or nailed down.

You work as hard as the Clintons did, you can do well. You do stupid things, you will not do well.

Forum List

Back