New York Times Corrects Allegation Made by Extremist, Four Months Later

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
There is nothing but the language of love for Israel.

October 31, 2014 12:27 pm 1 comment
Ben Cohen

The New York Times has corrected a story which approvingly relayed a false claim by Palestinian extremist Ali Abunimah. Photo: Twitter

The New York Times has corrected an article which approvingly relayed a claim by the U.S.-based anti-Zionist extremist, Ali Abunimah, four months after the piece first appeared.

Soon after the June kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers, Naftali Frankel, Eyal Yifrach and Gilad Shaar, who were hiking in the West Bank, Times blogger Robert Mackey, who regularly pens articles hostile to Israel, repeated Abunimah’s allegation that a popular Israeli Facebook page called for the arbitrary murder of Palestinians. The Facebook page’s tagline in fact states, in Hebrew rhyme, “Until the boys return — every hour we shoot a terrorist.”

The Times correction reads as follows:

An earlier version of this post referred imprecisely to an Israeli Facebook page demanding retribution for the abduction of the Israeli teenagers that was cited by Ali Abunimah, a Palestinian-American activist, in a Twitter post. The Facebook page urged Israelis to kill a Palestinian prisoner held on terrorism charges every hour; in his tweet, Mr. Abunimah referred to the proposed victims as simply “Palestinian.”

The Times correction appeared following a sustained effort led by CAMERA, the US-based Middle East reporting watchdog, which welcomed its publication. “It’s never too late to right a wrong,” CAMERA Senior Analyst Gilead Ini told The Algemeiner. “It should have been corrected right away, but when we pushed the paper for a correction, they finally agreed, so they deserve some credit.”

Ini remains concerned about Mackey’s journalism. “Just yesterday, he linked to another complete misquote – a tweet from [Jewish anti-Israel activist] MJ Rosenberg saying that [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu had described the 9/11 atrocities as ‘very good,’” Ini said. “In fact, Netanyahu said that the consequence of the atrocities would be to boost American-Israeli relations. In this case, Mackey did provide some additional clarification, but it’s certainly not something he should link to in the first place, especially as he fancies himself to be a fact checker.”

Ini expressed the hope that the correction would persuade Times editors to subject Mackey’s writings to greater scrutiny. “If Mackey can’t practice ethical journalism when reporting the Middle East, he shouldn’t do it at all,” Ini said.

Abunimah, the source of Mackey’s misquote, is the founder and editor of The Electronic Intifada, a website widely viewed as antisemitic, which advocates for Israel’s elimination as a sovereign state and promotes the theory that American policy in the Middle East is controlled by a shadowy pro-Israel lobby. Abunimah has energetically promoted what he describes as the “one-state solution,” a formula regarded by many Jews and Israelis as a polite euphemism for the replacement of Israel with single Palestinian state from the Mediterranean Sea to the River Jordan.

Netanyahu had described the 9/11 atrocities as ‘very good,’” Ini said. “In fact, Netanyahu said that the consequence of the atrocities would be to boost American-Israeli relations

Gee Daniyel and I were talking about that yesterday, and I still believe it. Daniyel are you a spy of some sort?

I find that strange, I still believe he said it, even more so now.

Netanyahu had described the 9/11 atrocities as ‘very good,’” Ini said. “In fact, Netanyahu said that the consequence of the atrocities would be to boost American-Israeli relations

Gee Daniyel and I were talking about that yesterday, and I still believe it. Daniyel are you a spy of some sort?

If you are asking Daniyel if he is a spy, I know you won't mind if you tell us what skinhead group you belong to. A normal American woman would not be spending night and day on forums dissing Israel and the Jews. It certainly appears that you have no friends in your real life and are a very, very lonely individual. Who in their right mind would want to hang out with you except another skinhead. Meanwhile, I think people with brains can figure out that the Israeli P.M. meant that America would finally see what Israel has been up against all these years when it comes to Muslim terrorists. Now that your new heroes are busy running around beheading people (even other innocent Muslims), the American public is getting a very good idea about them. Go out on the streets of America, Penelope, and ask the American public what they think about your new heroes, unless of course you are living in Dearborn, Michigan. You did say you lived in Michigan, didn't you?

If you are asking Daniyel if he is a spy, I know you won't mind if you tell us what skinhead group you belong to. A normal American woman would not be spending night and day on forums dissing Israel and the Jews. It certainly appears that you have no friends in your real life and are a very, very lonely individual. Who in their right mind would want to hang out with you except another skinhead. Meanwhile, I think people with brains can figure out that the Israeli P.M. meant that America would finally see what Israel has been up against all these years when it comes to Muslim terrorists. Now that your new heroes are busy running around beheading people (even other innocent Muslims), the American public is getting a very good idea about them. Go out on the streets of America, Penelope, and ask the American public what they think about your new heroes, unless of course you are living in Dearborn, Michigan. You did say you lived in Michigan, didn't you?

A poor translation of his words when the only "benefit" out of the horror is that Israel and the US can empathize and help each other deal with the threat of terrorism and violent attacks on their sovereign territories from a shared enemy that would like to see them both exterminated.

There was no joy, pleasure or "very good" about the hate that feeds such attacks, but americans that had no personal experience with hate and bombings might have more understanding of what Israel and jews have lived with for millennia. Why safety against attacks by outsiders is so important in this age.

9/11 change everyone's life in the US and even around the world. We don't walk into a building or get on a plane without looking at the people around them. We now have to deal with searches that border on a violation of our person. We don't take safety for granted anymore.

You are aware the Netanyahu was speaking at an Israeli university more than 7 yrs after the 9/11 attack?
Language does not always translate word for word and certain phrases and terms don't always make sense in a different language. I used to think americans very strange with their idioms and slang. Why would anyone want to get your goat with you did not own a goat? Why did people say hot when they cool or good? Why did they say cool when they meant the same thing? I still find aspects of the language amusing when I've been here now for decades. Americans and Brits seem at times to speak totally different language. My childhood I was raised with the english language and not the american even though my mother was american.

Who many bloopers and blunders have presidents and politicians made? For some it is a running joke even decades later.

Even american's have trouble finding the right words when speaking about their own products.
Chevy Rep Goes Viral After Stumbling Through MVP Award Speech Video

Forum List

Back