New York Times carries ad demanding Japan’s apology

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
New York Times carries ad demanding Japan’s apology
Singer Kim Jang-hoon and Sungshin Women’s University professor Seo Kyoung-duk placed an advertisement in the New York Times on Wednesday, requesting compensation or a public apology from the Japanese government to former sex slaves for the Japanese military.

20120329000857_0.jpg

The ad calling on the Japanese government to apologize for World War II sex slavery, which was published in the New York Times
Headlined “Do You Hear?,” the ad shows a photo of Korean elderly women who were forced to serve as sex slaves for Japanese soldiers during World War II and explains that they have been holding weekly protests outside the Japanese Embassy in Seoul since 1992. It adds that the number of attendants at the gatherings has grown to about 1,000.

Kim, known as the “Dokdo guardian” for his role in promoting Korean sovereignty over the group of rocky islets in the East Sea, sponsored the ad while Seo took charge of the details. The two have printed several ads in foreign newspapers together. They placed the same “Do You Hear?” ad in the Wall Street Journal last December and the “Visit Korea” ad, about Dokdo and Ieodo, in the New York Times in February last year.

The New York Times’ publication of the latest ad is notable because there had been reports that the newspaper decided not to print Dokdo and comfort women-related ads anymore due to complaints from the Japanese Embassy.

“According to what I’ve found out through several sources, the New York Times never said that it would not print the Dokdo ad. Yomiuri’s report turned out to be false and the Japanese Embassy was only humiliated in public,” said Seo.

“A few days ago, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda said that there is a big gap between what is being expressed about the ‘comfort women’ and the truth, and I am appalled. Hindering ads and making such reckless remarks only prove that Japan is not so clean about Dokdo and the military sex slave issue,” said Kim.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20120329000911

Of course there have already been apologies and compensation, but it is an understandably emotional issue.

Last edited:
Really?? There are women being abused TODAY all around the world, but this is their focus??

Really?? There are women being abused TODAY all around the world, but this is their focus??

Many of these women are still alive. Their immediate families are still alive. What the hell do you expect to be their focus? The fact that apologies and compensation have already been given aside, it is more than understandable that this would still be a very sore point.

Many of these women are still alive. Their immediate families are still alive. What the hell do you expect to be their focus? The fact that apologies and compensation have already been given aside, it is more than understandable that this would still be a very sore point.

"Their" is a reference to the NYT...let's see them run ads about countries presently abusing women.

"Their" is a reference to the NYT...let's see them run ads about countries presently abusing women.

Do you have some evidence of their refusal to run such ads?

STFU and stop assuming what my point is, dumbass...they love to editorialize without prompts to do the right thing, so let's see them fucking step up and do it.

STFU and stop assuming what my point is, dumbass...they love to editorialize without prompts to do the right thing, so let's see them fucking step up and do it.

This is not about editorials, it is about a paid advertisement. Now, do you have some evidence of their refusal to run such ads?

This is not about editorials, it is about a paid advertisement. Now, do you have some evidence of their refusal to run such ads?

I don't need evidence to express my opinion of what else they could focus on...now stop being dense.:lol:

I wonder if the New York Times would investigate and report on this...

--------------nah, they wouldn't...too liberal

Does Islam condone slavery? Does Islamic teaching allow Muslim men to keep women as sex slaves?

Summary Answer:

Islam neither ignores nor condemns slavery. In fact, a large part of the Sharia is dedicated to the practice.

Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader. He captured slaves in battle. He had sex with his slaves. And he instructed his men to do the same. The Qur'an actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves than it does to telling them to pray five times a day.

For Qur'an quotes.. go to the link...

TheReligionofPeace - Islam: Does Islam Condone Slavery & Sex Slavery?

Last edited:

I don't need evidence to express my opinion of what else they could focus on...now stop being dense.:lol:

Your inappropriate response to the thread suggests an attempt to derail in order to further some agenda. Start a new thread for that, assface.

Does Islam condone slavery? Does Islamic teaching allow Muslim men to keep women as sex slaves?

Summary Answer:

Islam neither ignores nor condemns slavery. In fact, a large part of the Sharia is dedicated to the practice.

Muslims are encouraged to live in the way of Muhammad, who was a slave owner and trader. He captured slaves in battle. He had sex with his slaves. And he instructed his men to do the same. The Qur'an actually devotes more verses to making sure that Muslim men know they can keep women as sex slaves than it does to telling them to pray five times a day.

No, the Times would not have the sack to run such a piece. Would you accept one that allowed for opposing arguments from Islamic scholars?

Your inappropriate response to the thread suggests an attempt to derail in order to further some agenda. Start a new thread for that, assface.

Awww gee, fucktard, you don't approve of my response in the thread...too bad, control freak, that you don't get to determine the direction of the thread.:badgrin:

Awww gee, fucktard, you don't approve of my response in the thread...too bad, control freak, that you don't get to determine the direction of the thread.:badgrin:

Too bad you're stuck living with an asshole such as yourself.

Summary Answer:

No, the Times would not have the sack to run such a piece. Would you accept one that allowed for opposing arguments from Islamic scholars?

Speaking of sackless fucking wonders.:eusa_whistle:

Summary Answer:

Speaking of sackless fucking wonders.:eusa_whistle:

I guess that would not include you, 'Sherry'? Or is it 'Jerry'? Or is it both?

Well don't be a phoney and pretend to give a shit.:D BTW, I have zero interest in your existence.:tongue:

Well don't be a phoney and pretend to give a shit.:D BTW, I have zero interest in your existence.:tongue:

Congratulations. Now go away and start a new thread for everyone to ignore, you worthless bitch.

Summary Answer:

No problem at all... It would make for an interesting article, or a series of articles..

New Topics

Forum List

Back