New York Times Bankruptcy?

The reason they are thriving is because Fox News and everything else Rupert Murdoc owns are great for propoganda. Even if ratings are low, the oil companies and other corporations still advertise because these media's support the corporate agenda.

Rush Limbaugh's ratings are fudged. Just like the GOP uses fuzzy math to suggest the economy is strong or unemployment is low, so does Clearchannel and other right wing media's.

So even if Fox News or Rush Limbaugh lose money, it is worth it to keep them on the air so they can continue to spew their propoganda.

Time for the Fairness Doctrine to come back.

No Rupert Murdoc should not be able to buy up all the newspapers, tv news and radio news stations. It is doing our society an injustice.

but the ratings are not low.. but oh well.

but the ratings are not low.. but oh well.

Fox has seen its once formidable advantage over CNN erode in this presidential election year, as both CNN and MSNBC have added viewers at far more dramatic rates.”

For example: “In the first five-and-a-half months of 2004, the last presidential election year, Fox’s prime-time audience among viewers aged 25 to 54 was more than double that of CNN’s — 530,000 to 248,000, according to estimates from Nielsen Media Research. This year, through mid-June, CNN erased the gap and drew nearly as many viewers in that demographic category as Fox — about 420,000 for CNN to 440,000 for Fox.” Read

Fox News Ratings Show Erosion - TV Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

Fox has seen its once formidable advantage over CNN erode in this presidential election year, as both CNN and MSNBC have added viewers at far more dramatic rates.”

For example: “In the first five-and-a-half months of 2004, the last presidential election year, Fox’s prime-time audience among viewers aged 25 to 54 was more than double that of CNN’s — 530,000 to 248,000, according to estimates from Nielsen Media Research. This year, through mid-June, CNN erased the gap and drew nearly as many viewers in that demographic category as Fox — about 420,000 for CNN to 440,000 for Fox.” Read

you happen to be wrong, but it's understandable look at yer source!

I'm sorry but you know my first response would be if Rupert Murdoch bought the NYT, it would be to laugh. The reason is actually very simple, just the look on the editorial boards face knowing they are owned by the man they constanty rip apart has to be a classic. That aside, the NYT has done this to themselves. when you have a scandal ridden newspaper that has lost readership year after year to the point where the NYT is no better than a printed version of the Daily KOS and has no real news value anymore. Look at the number of reporters that have been fired at the NYT for making up stories and plagerizing others.

Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception
staff reporter for The New York Times committed frequent acts of journalistic fraud while covering significant news events in recent months, an investigation by Times journalists has found. The widespread fabrication and plagiarism represent a profound betrayal of trust and a low point in the 152-year history of the newspaper.

The Times has fired Susan Sachs, its former Baghdad bureau chief. According to Times sources who insisted on anonymity because personnel matters are involved, the paper's management accused Sachs of writing to the wives of two other Times foreign correspondents, to say that their husbands were having affairs.
Washington Post

These are but a few examples of what a once great paper has been reduced too. A paper that tells a Presidential candidate that they will not print his editorial unless it is more like the one other candidate they endorse. So is it any wonder then that this paper finds itself where the Tribune is today and many other of these papers that have become nothing but sounding boards for liberal or conservative causes. It would be a sad day for this nation for a paper like the NYT to go by the wayside, but perhaps finally this will provide all these newspapers a chance to become worthy of word NEWS once again rather than outlets for political agenda's.

I'm sorry but you know my first response would be if Rupert Murdoch bought the NYT, it would be to laugh. The reason is actually very simple, just the look on the editorial boards face knowing they are owned by the man they constanty rip apart has to be a classic. That aside, the NYT has done this to themselves. when you have a scandal ridden newspaper that has lost readership year after year to the point where the NYT is no better than a printed version of the Daily KOS and has no real news value anymore. Look at the number of reporters that have been fired at the NYT for making up stories and plagerizing others.

staff reporter for The New York Times committed frequent acts of journalistic fraud while covering significant news events in recent months, an investigation by Times journalists has found. The widespread fabrication and plagiarism represent a profound betrayal of trust and a low point in the 152-year history of the newspaper.

The Times has fired Susan Sachs, its former Baghdad bureau chief. According to Times sources who insisted on anonymity because personnel matters are involved, the paper's management accused Sachs of writing to the wives of two other Times foreign correspondents, to say that their husbands were having affairs.
Washington Post

These are but a few examples of what a once great paper has been reduced too. A paper that tells a Presidential candidate that they will not print his editorial unless it is more like the one other candidate they endorse. So is it any wonder then that this paper finds itself where the Tribune is today and many other of these papers that have become nothing but sounding boards for liberal or conservative causes. It would be a sad day for this nation for a paper like the NYT to go by the wayside, but perhaps finally this will provide all these newspapers a chance to become worthy of word NEWS once again rather than outlets for political agenda's.

Spring 2003
“Court Ruled That Media Can Legally Lie”

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Akre and Wilson sued the Fox station and on August 18, 2000, a Florida jury unanimously decided that Akre was wrongfully fired by Fox Television when she refused to broadcast (in the jury's words) “a false, distorted or slanted story” about the widespread use of BGH in dairy cows. They further maintained that she deserved protection under Florida's whistle blower law. Akre was awarded a $425,000 settlement.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation." In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a "law, rule, or regulation," it was simply a "policy." Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly.

The Media Can Legally Lie

you happen to be wrong, but it's understandable look at yer source!

The ratings for CNN and MSNBC in the month of August have risen since last summer, while Fox News Channel's prime time ratings plummeted.

According to the Nielsen ratings, as compiled by TV Newser, Fox News Channel's total viewership dropped 7 percent from last August, and it's prime time audience is down 28 percent.

Meanwhile, CNN's ratings increased 35% in total and 21% in prime time as MSNBC moved up 26% and 6%.

A few weeks ago, after Turner Broadcasting System CEO Phil Kent told the Hollywood Reporter that CNN was "closing the gap" on its "primary competitor," a Fox News spokesman accused them of "employing fuzzy math."

"It almost harkens us back to the days of the AOL-Time Warner accounting scandal," the Fox spokesman told TV Newser.

Ratings for The O'Reilly Factor fell 15 percent, while MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann increased 55% and CNN's Paula Zahn Now rose 32 percent.

The Raw Story | CNN, MSNBC August ratings on rise as Fox News Channel's prime time ratings plummet

Why did Fox News spokesman accuse CNN of using fuzzy math? Because Fox News knows a thing or two about using fuzzy math. :lol:

Spring 2003
“Court Ruled That Media Can Legally Lie”

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Akre and Wilson sued the Fox station and on August 18, 2000, a Florida jury unanimously decided that Akre was wrongfully fired by Fox Television when she refused to broadcast (in the jury's words) “a false, distorted or slanted story” about the widespread use of BGH in dairy cows. They further maintained that she deserved protection under Florida's whistle blower law. Akre was awarded a $425,000 settlement.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation." In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a "law, rule, or regulation," it was simply a "policy." Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly.

The Media Can Legally Lie

sealy, I don't think my previous post had anything to do with FOX News and that ruling is a shame if its allowed to stand as is. If you assume that I am in favor of one media outlet over another based on politcal views then you would be assuming incorrectly. I see no difference in what MSNBC,FOX,CNN, and the rest of them do as it applies to being outlets for various different political agenda's. There is a time and a place for an editorial in the news and honestly I would not have a problem with it so much if it were presented that way. The only problem is that news media these days assumes that editorials are NEWs. Take for example MSNBC, it would be very difficult for anyone to deny that MSNBC has a bias when it came to who they wanted to win this last election. Remember " I get a tingle down my leg" Chris Matthews, well to me someone like Chris Matthews, Sean Hannity, and the rest of the need to have a big warning each time their respective programs are put on the air that says "EDITORIAL NOT NEWS OR THE OPINION OF THE NETWORK" .

CNN's and MSNBC's propaganda wars! big losers.. :lol:

Whatever. All that matters is people who think like you are not making decisions anymore. That's all I really care about.

Except for the fact that for 8 years you defended the people that caused this meltdown.

Aren't you the person last week trying to distance yourself from Bush or say that Bush isn't a conservative?

See why I didn't buy that? To me, you are all the same. You never argue with each other and you all share the exact same opinions on everything. So whether you call yourself Bushies or Conservatives, Republicans, Neo Cons. Makes no difference. You're all wrong.

Whatever. All that matters is people who think like you are not making decisions anymore. That's all I really care about. I'm Happy for You Bobo
Except for the fact that for 8 years you defended the people that caused this meltdown. I never defended Bawney nope,,Aren't you the person last week trying to distance yourself from Bush or say that Bush isn't a conservative? Nope

See why I didn't buy that? To me, you are all the same. You never argue with each other and you all share the exact same opinions on everything. So whether you call yourself Bushies or Conservatives, Republicans, Neo Cons. Makes no difference. You're all wrong.
Are You At Work?

:lol:

sealy, I don't think my previous post had anything to do with FOX News and that ruling is a shame if its allowed to stand as is. If you assume that I am in favor of one media outlet over another based on politcal views then you would be assuming incorrectly. I see no difference in what MSNBC,FOX,CNN, and the rest of them do as it applies to being outlets for various different political agenda's. There is a time and a place for an editorial in the news and honestly I would not have a problem with it so much if it were presented that way. The only problem is that news media these days assumes that editorials are NEWs. Take for example MSNBC, it would be very difficult for anyone to deny that MSNBC has a bias when it came to who they wanted to win this last election. Remember " I get a tingle down my leg" Chris Matthews, well to me someone like Chris Matthews, Sean Hannity, and the rest of the need to have a big warning each time their respective programs are put on the air that says "EDITORIAL NOT NEWS OR THE OPINION OF THE NETWORK" .

Fox News is COMPLETELY a Republican tv station.

Rachel Maddow & Keith Olbermann happen to be anti GOP shows. I'm sorry, but I think every show should be like theirs. And now that Obama and the Dems are in charge, they should spend the next 4 years being the watch dogs against Democratic corruption. But for some reason the media did not do their job after Bush got into office. That's what is sad to me.

I don't care if a tv station is anti White House. They're supposed to be the watch dog. If the government becomes totally corrupt, and they did from 2000-2006, it's the media that should expose them. But they said NOTHING as Bush lied us into war. The media let us down most of all. '

Where was MSNBC and CNN in 2003 when Bush was lying us into war? Pussies. Now that it's too late, they're liberal? BFD.

Are MSNBC or CNN completely Democratic stations? I don't think so. At least not when Glen Beck was on CNN.

Now Glenn is going where he belongs, Fox.

How about Joe Scarborough. Was he on MSNBC? He wasn't a liberal.

Anyways, let's see if MSNBC and CNN become Obama's lap dogs like they did for Bush for at least 5-6 years.

Next we need more representation on the Sunday talking head shows. Meet the Press, Face the Nation and that show with Stephanopolous. For the past 8 years they have always put 2 Conservatives on against 1 Liberal, or 3 conservatives on with ZERO liberals.

I extend the same courtesy of respect to Obama that Democrats extended to Bush. (If Barack told me the sky is blue, I'd go outside to check...)

If Obama fucks up the economy like Bush, starts one real war and abandons it for an uneeded war, uses the fear card to rule, abandons New Orleans, bails out the money lenders but not the automakers: and can't think of anything he did wrong, I will attack his stupidity like I did Bush's.

You have to earn respect. Bush had it and then lost it with his stupidity and incompetence.

This guy who bought the Tribune for 8.2 billion only put $315 million down and used ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) as collateral for the rest.

So 20,000 workers are going to lose their pension!!!!

Deal Journal - WSJ.com : The Tribune Buyout: Was It Ever a Good Idea?

Wow, I just found out that the Tribune is/was the largest employee owned media company in the United States.

NEW YORK, Dec 8 (Reuters) - The publisher of the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times declared bankruptcy on Monday as the U.S. newspaper industry's unrelenting loss of readers and advertisers claimed its biggest victim yet.

Good news to Corporate America!!!

Tribune Co, which owns eight major daily newspapers and several television stations, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after collapsing under a heavy debt load just a year after real estate mogul Sam Zell took it private.

Zell loaded up the privately held publisher with about $8 billion in additional debt when he took the company private in a transaction largely financed by company contributions to an employee stock option plan.

So much for taking a chance and starting my own business.

"It has been, to say the least, the perfect storm," Zell said in a memo to employees. "A precipitous decline in revenue and a tough economy have coupled with a credit crisis, making it extremely difficult to support our debt. All of our major advertising categories have been dramatically impacted."

"There's been so much bad news constantly lately, everyone's just shrugging their shoulders," a Tribune newsroom staffer in Chicago said. "It's just one more day of more disappointing news."

Most of the $8.2 billion Zell buyout price was paid for by borrowing against future contributions to the pension plans for Tribune's 20,000 workers, through their employee stock ownership plan, or ESOP. Continued...

And now the big boys like Rupert Murdoc will come in and buy this paper cheap, and further consolodate power. Soon the NeO CONS will own all the media. Can you say monopoly?

And I know none of you care about this story because no one has told you to care about it yet. So much for these people's pensions. I guess they made the mistake of going into the media industry. They made their choice, right? :cuckoo: Freakin idiots.

It's ok until it happens to you.

John Ziegler proved that Obama voters were completely clueless about anything in the election except "hope", "change" and Sarah Palin's children and wardrobe. They voted for slick packaging and were kept in the dark by the sycophantic mainstream media about how sleezy Obama is. I guess this explains how so many could know so little...

If Obama fucks up the economy like Bush, starts one real war and abandons it for an uneeded war, uses the fear card to rule, abandons New Orleans, bails out the money lenders but not the automakers: and can't think of anything he did wrong, I will attack his stupidity like I did Bush's.

You have to earn respect. Bush had it and then lost it with his stupidity and incompetence.
Please... liberals like you were screaming from day one that Bush was an "illegitimate president" and "selected" by the Supreme Court. Take your historical rewrite elsewhere...

Fox News is COMPLETELY a Republican tv station.

Rachel Maddow & Keith Olbermann happen to be anti GOP shows. I'm sorry, but I think every show should be like theirs. And now that Obama and the Dems are in charge, they should spend the next 4 years being the watch dogs against Democratic corruption. But for some reason the media did not do their job after Bush got into office. That's what is sad to me.

I don't care if a tv station is anti White House. They're supposed to be the watch dog. If the government becomes totally corrupt, and they did from 2000-2006, it's the media that should expose them. But they said NOTHING as Bush lied us into war. The media let us down most of all. '

Where was MSNBC and CNN in 2003 when Bush was lying us into war? Pussies. Now that it's too late, they're liberal? BFD.

Are MSNBC or CNN completely Democratic stations? I don't think so. At least not when Glen Beck was on CNN.

Now Glenn is going where he belongs, Fox.

How about Joe Scarborough. Was he on MSNBC? He wasn't a liberal.

Anyways, let's see if MSNBC and CNN become Obama's lap dogs like they did for Bush for at least 5-6 years.

Next we need more representation on the Sunday talking head shows. Meet the Press, Face the Nation and that show with Stephanopolous. For the past 8 years they have always put 2 Conservatives on against 1 Liberal, or 3 conservatives on with ZERO liberals.

You do realize that when you have 6 liberals and 1 conservative discussing the issues, that isn't fair and balanced right?

That is the formula that ALL of the other networks use.

Fox rebelled and their formula is a (relatively) conservative host and Equal numbers of Liberals and Conservatives doing the discussing.

Because the other networks are so far out of balance, this has confused you people into thinking that Fox is "Republican" :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back