New York Times attacks Governor Christie

Christie is your usual head in the sand republican, if life were run by conservatives we would still be in a cave howling at the moon - most republicans are still there. One Jersey teacher told me the usual ramification of education cutbacks: the teachers and important staff get the boot, the administrators and power players continue to milk the system. Nothing changes under republicans, the comedy, or is that tragedy, is they still work the media so well.

"There is no test of the good society so clear, so decisive, as its willingness to tax - to forgo private income, expenditures and the expensively cultivated superfluities of private consumption - in order to develop and sustain a strong educational system for all its citizens. The economic rewards of so doing are not in doubt. Nor the political gains. But the true reward is in the larger, deeper, better life for everyone that only education provides." John Kenneth Galbraith, The Good Society

Cristie nailed it: You may hate me now, but you'll thank me in 10 tears when you have pension that you will actually collect.

Well most of the world uses that as "The Paper of Record".

I don't see anyone quoting the New York Post..except maybe NY1. But they are just reading from the local papers.

but they don't like the Times... except when they use Judy Miller to pound the drums for unnecessary war.

Is the NY Post a newspaper? It used to be when Eric Breindel was the editor.

pity murdoch killed it.

I stopped subscribing to the NY Times in 1985. I haven't read more than a section of it at a time in well over 10 years.

There is nothing worth reading in the Times that isn't on Drudge.

(Full disclosure: I was quoted in a Times article a week after 9/11 and in 2004 they did an article that featured my Dad, so obviously I read both of those)

Drudge sludge? That explains so much.

One Jersey teacher told me the usual ramification of education cutbacks: the teachers and important staff get the boot, the administrators and power players continue to milk the system.

One of the chief negotiating tactics for any union is that you take layoffs before pay/benefit cuts, because it's harder to win back pay or benefit increases than it is to re-hire or add more people later. Also better to lose 5 percent of your members than to lose pay for 90 percent of your existing members.

This scenario has happened in a lot of states lately in education, so the low and mid-level teachers have been getting the boot, while long-time principals and superintendents hang around with limited pay/benefit cuts - what your friend is saying is similar to what I've heard.

Either way, there should be a ban on public sector unions. I don't see a problem if a hotel maid wants to sign up for SEIU, but I have a big issue with state education associations that come in and rape taxpayers.

One Jersey teacher told me the usual ramification of education cutbacks: the teachers and important staff get the boot, the administrators and power players continue to milk the system.

One of the chief negotiating tactics for any union is that you take layoffs before pay/benefit cuts, because it's harder to win back pay or benefit increases than it is to re-hire or add more people later. Also better to lose 5 percent of your members than to lose pay for 90 percent of your existing members.

This scenario has happened in a lot of states lately in education, so the low and mid-level teachers have been getting the boot, while long-time principals and superintendents hang around with limited pay/benefit cuts - what your friend is saying is similar to what I've heard.

Either way, there should be a ban on public sector unions. I don't see a problem if a hotel maid wants to sign up for SEIU, but I have a big issue with state education associations that come in and rape taxpayers.

a ban on public sector unions? i suppose philosophically you can take that position.

but i think it's atrocious. teachers and other government employees get raises that barely cover cost of living increases. they do that because they get benefits fought for by collective bargaining.

why do rightwingers hate collective bargaining? beause it levels the playing field?

it's not that unions are perfect. and certainly there are things done wrong. but they largely do more good than not.

a ban on public sector unions? i suppose philosophically you can take that position.

but i think it's atrocious. teachers and other government employees get raises that barely cover cost of living increases. they do that because they get benefits fought for by collective bargaining.

why do rightwingers hate collective bargaining? beause it levels the playing field?

it's not that unions are perfect. and certainly there are things done wrong. but they largely do more good than not.

Right wingers have no problem whatsoever when one guy makes 54 billion dollars from a defacto monopoly but get all hot under the collar when union members eek out a living through collective bargaining.

Gotta love it.

Right wingers have no problem whatsoever when one guy makes 54 billion dollars from a defacto monopoly but get all hot under the collar when union members eek out a living through collective bargaining.

Gotta love it.

if you read their posts, they see monopolies and corporations as being "free market" but see anything that protects the existence of a middle class as somehow offensive. but the reality is that the middle class doesn't exist without collective bargaining and government protection

how that benefits most of the rightwingers is beyond me... but i have the sneaking suspicion they live in a dream world that someday they'll be millionaires so need to protect their future earnings.

of course, the reality is different from their fantasy.

True...

But I was referencing "news" papers.

Not "fantasy bizzaro world" papers.

Then you shouldn't have mentioned the New York Times....:clap2:

I don't see anyone quoting the New York Post..except maybe NY1. But they are just reading from the local papers.

The "paper of record" is in serious financial peril......they have a $400 million line of credit that is tapped out and comes due in full 2011. They also have $150 Million in unfunded pensions.....they really are in very bad shape. Why buy the paper when you can get the "news" free?

The business model for all Newspapers is horrible - but coupled with their habitual violations of journalistic ethics - and it looks like the Grey Lady is going down.....

I will surprised if they are around in 5 years....A shame too.

Traveling around the world there are only two or three papers I see on sale from the USA. USA Today, The New York Times..and sometimes The Wallstreet Journal.

and I don't understand how USA Today can be so popular. It is the McDonald's Big Mac of newspapers, with cheap and rarely thorough reporting and bland writing. No personality, little color, and only occasionally interesting.

Traveling around the world there are only two or three papers I see on sale from the USA. USA Today, The New York Times..and sometimes The Wallstreet Journal.

and I don't understand how USA Today can be so popular. It is the McDonald's Big Mac of newspapers, with cheap and rarely thorough reporting and bland writing. No personality, little color, and only occasionally interesting.

You hit the nail right on the head.

McDonalds is all around the world too.

The "paper of record" is in serious financial peril......they have a $400 million line of credit that is tapped out and comes due in full 2011. They also have $150 Million in unfunded pensions.....they really are in very bad shape. Why buy the paper when you can get the "news" free?

The business model for all Newspapers is horrible - but coupled with their habitual violations of journalistic ethics - and it looks like the Grey Lady is going down.....

They aren't in great shape, financially..that's true. They will probably stop publishing hard copies and go online.

but they don't like the Times... except when they use Judy Miller to pound the drums for unnecessary war.

Is the NY Post a newspaper? It used to be when Eric Breindel was the editor.

pity murdoch killed it.

Um Murdoch bought the post in 75 and Briendel was the editor until his death in the late 90's no?

That is a problem with every paper. Everyone can get the news.for free.on the internet, except for a few very local articles from a few small dalies, and frankly most of those holdouts aren't worth the fees. So your source of revenue is limited to web advertising. Woe to those journalists who offend the advertisers...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/opinion/18thu3.html

"Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey is the darling of the Republican right for bleeding his state budget and rebuffing billions of dollars in federal funds. Back home, however, the picture is very different."

NJ gov: I'm sticking with decision to scrap tunnel - WSJ.com

RENTON, N.J. — Gov. Chris Christie cited New Jersey's lack of money Wednesday in standing by his decision to kill a train tunnel connecting his state to New York City, a move that will force the state to repay up to $350 million of the money it was given to start the nation's biggest public works project.

The state is on the hook for $2.7 billion plus overruns.

"In the end, my decision does not change," Christie said. "I cannot place upon the citizens of New Jersey an open-ended letter of credit, and that's what this project represents."
<SNIP>
Now, New Jersey is likely to have to repay the federal government $350 million of the $600 million already spent getting the project started.
<SNIP>
Christie said LaHood's final offer came Sunday: $378 million in additional federal money.

Another option would have allowed New Jersey to take out federal loans through the Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing program, but Christie would not borrow more money to cover the project.

Christie also squelched the idea of scaling back the project, saying that would make it less useful to commuters, and he shot down the use of public-private partnerships, which other cities have used for large infrastructure projects.
<SNIP>
Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, a Democrat, said he sees Christie's point - "Obviously the tunnel is critically important, but the governor puts forth a good point — how are you going to pay for it?
<SNIP>
Construction began last year on the tunnel, which has been in the works for 20 years. In September, Christie suspended work on the tunnel and ordered a cost review. He pulled the plug two weeks ago but gave himself time to reconsider at LaHood's behest.
<SNIP>
Some proponents of the tunnel believe Christie is motivated, in part, by wanting to divert the money to state projects. He has refused to raise the gas tax, among the lowest in the nation at 10.5 cents per gallon, to beef up the nearly broke state fund. At least $1.25 billion became available for state projects with the tunnel's demise, but Christie said he hadn't yet figured out how to shore up the state fund.

Last edited:
anyone that doesn't steal property or put americans at risk, or help the enemy, i guess that's just about all of them, it's a peice of shit

you mean like spreading judy miller's BS about WMD's?

I always find it interesting that the least articulate, most ignorant posters are the ones who whine the most about anything that disturbs their rightwingnut view of the world.

Can you name a more distinguished newspaper in the United States than the New York Times?

Both me and my dog appreciate the NY Times when she has the runs.....
I like the fact that each page really opens up and covers a lot of the floor.....:eek:

I understand that Conservatives have problems in reading any newspaper. Just like their godess Sarah Palin was unable to name a single newspaper she reads, nobody on this thread is able to name a single newspaper more respected than the New York Times

i read good... you expect us to "revere" the salzburg family for using their newspaper to hurt our nice country ? sarah may be your goddess too soon. as obama is my god now. face it the times is beneath contempt, they should want to help america. i think everyone on this board could name thirty

Last edited:
anyone that doesn't steal property or put americans at risk, or help the enemy, i guess that's just about all of them, it's a peice of shit

you mean like spreading judy miller's BS about WMD's?

I always find it interesting that the least articulate, most ignorant posters are the ones who whine the most about anything that disturbs their rightwingnut view of the world.

j. the w.m.d s were always irrelevant

also
When the Founding Fathers protected our right to free speech, I think that meant we were supposed to use it

but not against their own country (ellsburg, the patreas incident, john maccain, numerous leaks and acts of treason) it's a waste of nice trees.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back