New York...."No bagels for You"

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Sheesh already...

So... if it's a choice between withholding food donations for the homeless or big brother monitoring salt, fat and fiber content of the food, New York City would rather the homeless didn't eat.

-------------------------------------:cuckoo:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Michael Bloomberg Strikes Again: New York City Bans Food Donations To The Homeless « CBS New York

This is liberalism at its very finest.

We make humor out of it...but in reality - this IS liberalism and progressive policies in practice. This is the outcome of big brother government that liberals call for.
How many people here have had the pleasure [not] in dealing with FASFA for instance.
My 21 year old daughter attends college, does not live at home anymore, is employed etc. etc. According to the federal government I cannot claim her as a dependent. According to federal government she is a dependent. (say what?) That's right by FASFA rules she is a dependent and therefore does not qualify for any grants/subsidized loans etc. etc. because of our income. But we don't receive tax benefits by IRS rules. So we are screwed on both ends.
Also - she lives in a campus apartment...so she cannot claim that as an educational expense. If she lived off campus - she could.
Just more stupidity by bureaucracies.

This is liberalism at its very finest.

We make humor out of it...but in reality - this IS liberalism and progressive policies in practice. This is the outcome of big brother government that liberals call for.
How many people here have had the pleasure [not] in dealing with FASFA for instance.
My 21 year old daughter attends college, does not live at home anymore, is employed etc. etc. According to the federal government I cannot claim her as a dependent. According to federal government she is a dependent. (say what?) That's right by FASFA rules she is a dependent and therefore does not qualify for any grants/subsidized loans etc. etc. because of our income. But we don't receive tax benefits by IRS rules. So we are screwed on both ends.
Also - she lives in a campus apartment...so she cannot claim that as an educational expense. If she lived off campus - she could.
Just more stupidity by bureaucracies.

Sheesh.. imagine if Congress worked full time.?

Sheesh already...

So... if it's a choice between withholding food donations for the homeless or big brother monitoring salt, fat and fiber content of the food, New York City would rather the homeless didn't eat.

-------------------------------------:cuckoo:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Michael Bloomberg Strikes Again: New York City Bans Food Donations To The Homeless « CBS New York

The fact NYC has the luxury of monitoring the salt, fat, and fiber eaten by the homeless should tell you something about how well the homeless do in NYC vs other places.

Forum List

Back