New York Hopitals not allowed to ask status

nukeman

Aug 25, 2005
This is the type of thing that really irratates me.. How can the New York government tell a hospital employee that they cant tell INS that someone is an illegal alien. I mean after all that is a crime and if they dont tell aren't they an accessory to that crime.

Hospitals are mandated by the federal government to keep patient confidentiality on all medical procedures (HIPPA), but what New York is asking these employees to do is break the law by aiding and abetting..

Most of these people of illegal status aren't even going to attempt to pay anyway. Maybe when their health system starts to go broke these morons will wake-up and realize how wrong they are.

Heres the Link
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_151091319.html

:poop: :poop: :poop: :dev1:

nukeman said:
This is the type of thing that really irratates me.. How can the New York government tell a hospital employee that they cant tell INS that someone is an illegal alien. I mean after all that is a crime and if they dont tell aren't they an accessory to that crime.

Hospitals are mandated by the federal government to keep patient confidentiality on all medical procedures (HIPPA), but what New York is asking these employees to do is break the law by aiding and abetting..

Most of these people of illegal status aren't even going to attempt to pay anyway. Maybe when their health system starts to go broke these morons will wake-up and realize how wrong they are.

Heres the Link

It's not a "crime" to treat an illegal immigrant, only to hire one as far as I know. If people think they're going to be deported if they seek medical treatment, they won't seek treatment. A hospital's first obligation is to heal. They aren't the INS or their agents.

jillian said:
It's not a "crime" to treat an illegal immigrant, only to hire one as far as I know. If people think they're going to be deported if they seek medical treatment, they won't seek treatment. A hospital's first obligation is to heal. They aren't the INS or their agents.

Yet Hospitals must repot gun-shot victims...child victims...and other instances where they suspect a crime. Why not illegals?

dmp said:
Yet Hospitals must repot gun-shot victims...child victims...and other instances where they suspect a crime. Why not illegals?

Because it's not the gun shot victim or child victim who will avoid treatment because of someone else's crime being reported. There is no obligation on the part of the hospital to the person committing the illegal act in those cases.

jillian said:

I didnt say it was a crime to treat them, it is however a crime to withold information about a crime, and the last time I checked entering the US illegaly is a crime thus the term "illegal".

If people know that they will be denied jobs, school, benefits and if they get sick and go to the hospital they will be reported and deported maybe they'll stop coming here ILLEGALLY.

IF a person fears deportation because they seek treatment maybe they should have thought about that before sneaking in, in the first place.

If someone comes into the hosp. and you find out they just killed someone is that something to keep to yourself?? Of course not, we shouldn't differintiate one crime form another. Why does the government of New York want someone to do that???

I have worked in Hospitals all my adult life so I think I'm pretty sure what a Hospitals first responsibility is and your right it is to treat the patient however we are also to report anyone involved in a crime to the proper authorities. This includes child abuse, murder, rape, assault, neglect, extortion, and the list goes on so why the exception for this one crime???????

jillian said:
Because it's not the gun shot victim or child victim who will avoid treatment because of someone else's crime being reported. There is no obligation on the part of the hospital to the person committing the illegal act in those cases.
What about the obligation to pay for services(hospitals dont run for free). I can personaly attest to the fact that most illegals do not pay. For everyone that doesn't pay you and I have to pay that much more for our care. Where do you want to draw the line... When you cant afford to go yourself!!!!

jillian said:
There is no obligation on the part of the hospital to the person committing the illegal act in those cases.

I believe that is UNTrue. I believe Hospitals have to report ANY patient who either seems the victim of a crime, or one who committed a crime in conjunction with their injury.

Just as a for instance:

Should I walk into a hospital with DYE, from an exploded bank Dye-pack, all over my hands - seeking treatment or help - I'm VERY sure the hospital would have to call the police.

nukeman said:
What about the obligation to pay for services(hospitals dont run for free). I can personaly attest to the fact that most illegals do not pay. For everyone that doesn't pay you and I have to pay that much more for our care. Where do you want to draw the line... When you cant afford to go yourself!!!!

I would never allow someone to die on my doorstep because of a lack of money. Never. And we spend money on all kinds of things that turn my stomach. Giving someone sick medical care isn't one of them.

Anyway, time to go home and hang with my son.

Laterz.

jillian said:
I would never allow someone to die on my doorstep because of a lack of money. Never. And we spend money on all kinds of things that turn my stomach. Giving someone sick medical care isn't one of them.

Laterz.
You really do have a problem with reading comprehension dont you! A hospital will never turn a patient away based on their ability to pay or not. However after treatment if someone is involved with a crime it must be reported and you still havent commented on where to draw the line on which crimes should and which shouldn't be reported.

If the situation was life-threatening, I doubt the risk of getting reported would deter them from seeking treatment. After all, would one rather be deported or dead?

For lesser injuries/ilnesses, it might cause them to avoid treatment. But, then that is just one of the "cons" of purposely breaking the law.

jillian said:

Laterz.

He's not talking about lack of money. People with no insurance come to the emergency room all the time. However, if they are here legally, the hospital has a way of tracking them down after they leave the hospital. Not-for-profit hospitals write off millions of dollers every year.

Will an illegal alian think twice before going to the hospital knowing he'll be reported, probably. But so do the child abusers and wife beaters. In fact there is a thread going on right now about a marine who sent 5 people to the local hospital. I'm sure those people knew full well that by going to the emergency room they'd be reported and they went anyway because they needed the care.

nukeman said:

Heres the Link

You should read that again, Nukeman. Nothing in there says they wont ask status. It says the wont question status. In other words, you’ll be treated, and you’ll be treated without fear of INS notification. Which wouldn’t happen anyway.

My take is this...Some of those with authority and responsibility to the public health, realize that some very sick people might go without treatment due to fear of deportation, and then possibly infect thousands.

This letter, in 11 languages, makes perfect sense to me.

nukeman said:

Heres the Link

Got news for ya...The health system is already going broke. Projections indicate that Medicare will crash sometime between 2010 and 2020. Then the US healthcare system will be for those who are fortunate enough to have jobs providing healthcare benefits, or wealthy enough not to worry about it. As it is now, there's a dwindling pool of doctors willing to accept Medicare/Medicaide patients because the reimbursements don't even cover the cost of an office visit.

Bullypulpit said:
Got news for ya...The health system is already going broke. Projections indicate that Medicare will crash sometime between 2010 and 2020. Then the US healthcare system will be for those who are fortunate enough to have jobs providing healthcare benefits, or wealthy enough not to worry about it. As it is now, there's a dwindling pool of doctors willing to accept Medicare/Medicaide patients because the reimbursements don't even cover the cost of an office visit.
Guess the baby boomers are screwed!:poop:

jillian said:

Illegals are attacking our country and should be treated as enemy combatants. That means we treat them and imprison them simultaneously, for rapid deportation or other punishment.

jillian said:

It IS a crime when that illegal has no insurance and the cost gets passed onto those that do.

The hospital is required to report the police anytime they suspect a US citizen of seeking treatment for being involved in a criminal act/act of violence.

They should be required to do no less for people who have entered this country illegally. It is AGAINST THE LAW.

GunnyL said:
It IS a crime when that illegal has no insurance and the cost gets passed onto those that do.

The hospital is required to report the police anytime they suspect a US citizen of seeking treatment for being involved in a criminal act/act of violence.

They should be required to do no less for people who have entered this country illegally. It is AGAINST THE LAW.
The hospital in all liklihood would treat and should report.

Kathianne said:
The hospital in all liklihood would treat and should report.

The humanitarian in me says they should treat them.

The taxpayer in me says they should treat them only for life-threatening injuries/ailments and have the police waiting at the door for them.

GunnyL said:
The humanitarian in me says they should treat them.

The taxpayer in me says they should treat them only for life-threatening injuries/ailments and have the police waiting at the door for them.
Should treat well enough for them to face consequences, without any ill effects for delay. On that much care, we agree?

Please note that more often than not, illegals are not seeking actual "emergency" treatment, but plain old free medical treatment. They know that they can't be turned away, by law, so they go in to emergency rooms and present their problem as an "emergency." In the process, they are bankrupting public hospitals.

Forum List

Back