New York Dems: Bush exploits 9/11

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/17/dems.rnc/index.html
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Less than two weeks before the Republican National Convention convenes in Manhattan, a group of congressional Democrats from New York on Tuesday charged that the Bush administration exploits the 9/11 attacks for political gain.

"The Republicans chose to hold their convention here, I think most of us believe, to continue the political exploitation of 9/11, which this administration started almost immediately after 9/11," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, whose congressional district in Manhattan includes the site where the World Trade Center once stood.

"They want to wrap themselves in 9/11 and wrap themselves in the flag. But the fact of the matter is they don't have the right to do that."

A Bush campaign spokesman dismissed the charge as "pure nonsense."

Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, said he believes the Republican Party chose New York for its convention site "to make this campaign about national security and the fight against terrorism. If that is the case, we have three words for them -- bring it on."

UsaPride said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/17/dems.rnc/index.html

Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-New York, said he believes the Republican Party chose New York for its convention site "to make this campaign about national security and the fight against terrorism. If that is the case, we have three words for them -- bring it on."

Interesting that the convention site was chosen over 2 years ago. How dare NY politicians do anything inflammatory regarding the convention! Talk about putting your citizenry at increased risk! There are literally thousands of protestors planning on descending upon NYC, many of them riled by the likes of moveon and other groups working with the democrats. Some of these are anarchists that have boldly planned and advertised their plans on fighting with police, damaging property, and basically terrorizing the convention.

What about how many liberals act like we should forget about 9/11? What about how Kerry is exploiting Vietnam when he keeps mentioning his service without ever mentioning how he thought it was one big atrocity and that the veterans were murderers? Then there are people like Moore who exploit 9/11 and the Iraq war and many Democrats who agree with him. I guess that's okay though.

There is a very good reason for this disgusting example of hypocrisy: The Democrats are friggin' shaking in their Birkenstocks. Beyond President Bush's many other strengths, they KNOW that his leadership in the war on terror will not only remind people about his greatest strength, it will ALSO expose their most crucial shortcoming: Kerry & the Democrats' inability to keep us safe from the barbarians of the world, for we, in their eyes, are the bad guys. 9/11 is symbolic not only of Bush's call to arms, it symbolizes the abject failure of both their golden boy, Bill Clinton, AND the destruction of their entire policy of diplomacy over action.

Considering how the LMM & Dems applauded the exploitation of 9/11 by gutter trash like Michael Moore, Charlie Rangle, Wes Clark, Howard Dean, & Ted Kennedy, it is BEYOND insanity-based hypocrisy to try to keep it off limits from President Bush & the Republicans, the only people to both truly honor the victims and actually take action to prevent another such tragedy from ever touching our shores, our streets, our lives.

To me, we OWN 9/11. They had eight years, many attacks on their watch, and did NOTHING, even going so far as to deny Sudan's offer of bin Laden on a silver plate. President Bush, the Republicans, & our beloved military have crushed the Taliban & Al Qaeda into small shreds, liberated two nations, forced Libya into surrender, and freed over 50 million people from tyranny, all the while making us more secure than we have been since the age of terrorism began to rear its satanic, vile head in the world.

Unless President Bush is reelected, we will once again be under the gun by islamic terrorists and many more thousands & thousands of innocent Americans will pay with their lives for the forgotten lessons of that dark day in September.

USA, nice post.

The Republicans chose to hold their convention here, I think most of us believe, to continue the political exploitation of 9/11, which this administration started almost immediately after 9/11," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, whose congressional district in Manhattan includes the site where the World Trade Center once stood.

That exploitation would be WHAT EXACTLY???

Invading Afganistan to enforce the oil pipeline (never actually built)?

That was the VERY FIRST accusation leveled against Bush I remember, some four days since 9/11.

When we accuse, we sometimes tell more about ourselves than we meant to. Exploiting tragedy for political gain seems a perfectly permissible strategy for Democrats, so, naturally they assume that this is what Republicans are doing. It's just like the 2000 election; Democrats automatically assumed that Republicans were using media influence to skew results, because that is what Democrats do instinctively (remember that the mainstream media declared Florida for Gore before the polls were even closed in the Fla. panhandle. This kind of low-life underhandedness is second nature to the left; naturally, they assume that anyone else would do the same thing).

Okay, I'm not saying whether or not I'm buying this 9/11 exploitation thing. But the GOP has never had their convention in NYC before, and NYC is one of the most Democratic cities in the U.S. But what's the motivation for having the convention in NYC (even if it was chosen 2 years ago, but still after 9/11)?

nakedemperor said:
Okay, I'm not saying whether or not I'm buying this 9/11 exploitation thing. But the GOP has never had their convention in NYC before, and NYC is one of the most Democratic cities in the U.S. But what's the motivation for having the convention in NYC (even if it was chosen 2 years ago, but still after 9/11)?

Pretty much any major city is going to be largely liberal, and while 9/11 may have had something to do with it, I wouldn't say that's the only reason. Most of the rest of the state is fairly conservative. They also may be trying to win the votes of New Yorkers (imagine the shock if the Republicans capture Hillary's [surrogate] home state).

nakedemperor said:

Politics!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/07/nyregion/07REPU.html 7

"Republican officials said they chose New York over two competing cities, Tampa and New Orleans, in part because of what they described as the enormous political and emotional symbolism that has become attached to the city since the terror attack on Sept. 11, 2001. They also said New York had offered the best package of financial incentives, including a pledge to raise $53 million in private contributions to defray the estimated cost of $80 million for the gathering.

New York officials, led by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Gov. George E. Pataki, both Republicans, had lobbied urgently for the convention to be held at Madison Square Garden, arguing that it would be a psychological and financial lift to the city during difficult times."

"While few Republicans believe that holding the convention in New York would improve Mr. Bush's chances of winning a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans by nearly 2 million, several argued today that they achieved the admittedly mischievous result of forcing Democrats to pay attention to a state that they would prefer to take for granted.

Finally, New York now has a Republican governor and New York City a Republican mayor, which is helpful both logistically and symbolically. "

nakedemperor said:

Last time they had their convention in Philly. Don't get too much more liberal than that. It was said above but cities are naturally Democrat because of all the Welfare addicts that live in them. Keep feeding them the welfare, they'll keep voting democrat.

Another reason is that the GOP tries to go into enemy territory in order to show that they are Universal. I think its admirable. Knowing what they'll be facing from those crazy New Yorkers is enough for most of the delegates to receive a purple heart (well at least by Kerry standards). The dems have traditionally stayed in Liberal hot beds of late. Trying to rouse up the fanatical base live while appealing to the moderates on TV.

I think they should have the convention here,in Ohio!!!! I know that wouldn't happen really,but it would be nice. The 2 candidates are fighting over this state like 2 kids over candy. Apparently,no Republican has won without Ohio. Bush was here Monday,Kerry was here today. Ohio has only gone for a Dem onceso.I think Bush will have it! Back to the subject. I don't see how President Bush being there for New Yorkers after 9-11 is making it political. No more than Kerry exploiting Vietnam and all who were there. Bush provided good strong leadership after 9-11,and that was his job. How dare the Dems say he is doing anything wrong by merely picking a large city to have the convention. This has gotten ridiculous to the point of nausea. A lot of these Dems are grasping at straws. Anything he does,it's political. I don't believe I have ever seen someone as hypocrytical as Kerry and Dems slamming him for this New York location and 9-11. He has made Vietnam a game in this political race.

nakedemperor said:

At the time, both sides heraled the idea saying how great it would be for the NYC economy. The reason they chose NYC was symbolic. You can bomb it, but we will continue to go there because it is a great city (minus their democratic leanings).

Forum List

Back