New York cops defy orders to arrest in Albany

The police probably will get into trouble for defying orders. Although the alternative would have started a riot so the cops were probably right.

Better to let the cold and disease take them.

New York cops defy order to arrest hundreds of ‘Occupy Albany’ protesters | The Raw Story

With protesters acting peacefully, local and state police agreed that low level arrests could cause a riot, so they decided instead to defy Cuomo and Jennings.

:clap2: Smart move. Hope they don't get in trouble.

I always wondered why no Tea Partiers got arrested as many behaved pretty badly.

Including slugging some guy. But the slugger got his finger bit off. :lol:

Mass arrests seemed to be in the cards once Jennings directed officers to enforce the curfew on roughly 700 protesters occupying the city owned park.

With protesters acting peacefully, local and state police agreed that low level arrests could cause a riot, so they decided instead to defy Cuomo and Jennings.

“We don’t have those resources, and these people were not causing trouble,” a state official said. “The bottom line is the police know policing, not the governor and not the mayor.”

Occupy Albany, an offspring of Occupy Wall Street, has seen its protesters remain as committed as those located at its parent site. At least 30 tents have remained in the park over the weekend.

SO, the police know policing and don't want to cause a riot unnecessarily...BUT the City authorities STILL retain the right to enforce a curfew...As the 1st Amendment right to gather in protest is NOT the right to OCCUPY public space indefinitely...A LOT more than 700 people paid taxes for that public space to be available to them as well! Now they have been forewarned and when the time comes to enforce that curfew, they can't cry about their rights being violated, now can they...?

The police probably will get into trouble for defying orders. Although the alternative would have started a riot so the cops were probably right.

Better to let the cold and disease take them.

I got my fingers crossed for em. Maybe if some of them freeze to death or die of exposure there grievances would be taken more seriously.

New York cops defy order to arrest hundreds of ‘Occupy Albany’ protesters | The Raw Story

Gee, I seem to remember some people the Oathkeepers terrorists and radicals last time one of us rightwingers posted that obeying the Constitution is more important than obeying orders. I wonder what changed.

You gotta admire the left in a way. They manage to turn a lack of leadership in liberal state government into a vague dishonest allegation of solidarity between the state's finest, the NYSP and the rabble pissing in the Albany park. Here's a quote in the "Albany Times Union" which is the basis of the post. "NYSP and Albany Police did not adhere to a curfew crackdown of protestors who occupied city owned parks urged by Gov Andred Cuomo and Mayor Jennings". ....think about the wording. How does the Constitutionally governed Police Dept "adhere" to anything? They respond to lawful orders. How can the New York State Police react to something "urged" by the Governor? Let's lay our cards on the table lefties. Cuomo is a radical leftie and he left the NYSP hanging in the wind with a lack of policy and a lack of leadership. It's a damn shame but typical of left wing administrations.

Gee, I seem to remember some people the Oathkeepers terrorists and radicals last time one of us rightwingers posted that obeying the Constitution is more important than obeying orders. I wonder what changed.

The Constitution has nothing to do with it. Read the article again. The risk of turning a peaceful situtation into a violent confrontation wasn't worth it.

So yeah.. fear of a mob's reaction justifies not upholding the law :rolleyes:

I'm gonna disagree with you here, DD. The police know their job. It's better to leave it to them to judge what is or is not necessary to uphold the law... not politicians.
You should know that there's two kinds of cops:

1. Those that know the law and apply it to each situation as warranted.
2. Those that click their heels and obey orders.

The Constitution has nothing to do with it. Read the article again. The risk of turning a peaceful situtation into a violent confrontation wasn't worth it.

You read it again, the risk of turning it into a violent confrontation over enforcing an order that is not based on law was not worth it.

So yeah.. fear of a mob's reaction justifies not upholding the law :rolleyes:

I'm gonna disagree with you here, DD. The police know their job. It's better to leave it to them to judge what is or is not necessary to uphold the law... not politicians.
You should know that there's two kinds of cops:

1. Those that know the law and apply it to each situation as warranted.
2. Those that click their heels and obey orders.

I personally want there to be one type of cop, the first type.

In reality, Albany is in upstate New York. It is almost November 1. The police don't have long to wait before they are gone.

Forum List

Back