New York City Slave Uprising

The Evul Xians were also the only demographic to start abolitionist movements. I know this isn't a 'Fun Fact' for those fanatical Xian Haters and doesn't fit the propaganda popular with evangelical atheists, but it's the truth nonetheless. And, those interested can google scholar themselves up which countries most objected to the League Of Nations proposals to ban slavery worldwide if they're into irony.

The North only banned it because it was uneconomical for them, and for no other reason; different weather made for different crops and growing seasons, and manufacturing industries didn't need workers all year round; it was easier to just let the current labor pool starve and die in slums for the moment and then just send for more laborers overseas when the need arose and business picked up. Nothing to brag about. In fact many Northern states also passed laws making it virtually impossible for blacks to make a legal living, particularly Lincoln's own state, and they strengthened those Black Codes in the 1850's in the Midwest.

Most of the 'anti-slavery' sentiment was directed at keeping blacks out of the North and out of the new territories, i.e. the 'white nationalism' dream, not any big giant moral objections. Lincoln's plan was to keep blacks in the South and keep them on the plantations, but tossing a fig leaf on it by paying them a wage of $3 a month, and of course making it illegal for them to leave without written permission from the plantation owners; but but they were 'free' n stuff ...

Last edited:
Northern Exclusion of Blacks

So the Negro [in the North] is free, but he cannot share the rights, pleasures, labors, griefs, or even the tomb of him whose equal he has been declared; there is nowhere where he can meet him, neither in life nor in death.
In the South, where slavery still exists, less trouble is taken to keep the Negro apart: they sometimes share the labors and the pleasures of the white men; people are prepared to mix with them to some extent; legislation is more harsh against them, but customs are more tolerant and gentle.[3]

Not as good and detailed as books like North of Slavery and Ordeal by Fire, but touches on some of it.

"Christians were doing their God-given duty to convert the heathens" was certainly one of the affirmative defenses by Southerners for African American chattel slavery.

Some were, many others were fighting slavery in Africa and everywhere else, right up to the present. Blanket statements are garbage, as usual.

Today in history reminds us slavery in America was not just an issue in the South.

New York City Slave Uprising

Between twenty-five and fifty blacks congregated at midnight in New York City, New York on April 6, 1712. With guns, swords and knives in hand the slaves first set fire to an outhouse then fired shots at several white slave owners, who had raced to scene to fight the fire. By the end of the night, nine whites were killed and six whites were injured. The next day the governor of New York ordered the New York and Westchester militias to “drive the island.” With the exception of six rebels who committed suicide before they were apprehended, all of the rebels were captured and punished with ferocity ranging from being burned alive, to being broken by a wheel.

But the swift punishment of the guilty was not enough to quell the concerns of slave owners and their political body. Within months, the New York Assembly passed “an act for preventing, suppressing and punishing the conspiracy and insurrection of Negroes and other slaves.” Masters were permitted to punish their slaves at their full discretion, “not extending to life or member.” Even the manumission of New York slaves was deterred by this bill; masters were required to pay two hundred pounds security to the government and a twenty-pound annuity to the freed slave. Despite these stringent laws, New York would escape slave rebellion for only twenty-nine years.

See more at:
New York City Slave Uprising (1712) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Absolutely true.

Slavery is a stain on the history of our entire country.

The difference between the North and the South is that the North ended slavery voluntarily, while the South attempted to secede to preserve and promote the institution of slavery.

There is zero evidence you personally would have done anything about it, so why would anybody care about your hypocritical posturing and fake moralizing? In fact, you aren't doing anything about it now. If you truly want to be some sort of Big Giant Social Warrior in real life instead of just blathering gibberish on the innernetz like Jake, I would be happy to introduce you to any of several groups actively going up against the modern slave trade first hand.

Somehow I'm certain you wouldn't be caught dead inconveniencing yourself or risking your life for anything or anybody, much less fighting slavery, though.

Picara, I am glad you are posting so I can educate you with the balance of the story. Yes, Christian evangelicals were working in the first half of the 19th century to end slavery. Yes, Christian evangelicals in our American south were using the affirmative defense from the Bible to defend slavery as a moral, humane institution.

Yes, Lincoln was not abolitionist. He was anti-slavery because he was Free Soil first, committed to economic opportunity for the white laboring and agricultural classes. He came to realize, as so many of his contemporaries, just how evil was the institution and devoted himself to killing it. He succeeded.

Picara, I am glad you are posting so I can educate you with the balance of the story. Yes, Christian evangelicals were working in the first half of the 19th century to end slavery. Yes, Christian evangelicals in our American south were using the affirmative defense from the Bible to defend slavery as a moral, humane institution.

Yes, Lincoln was not abolitionist. He was anti-slavery because he was Free Soil first, committed to economic opportunity for the white laboring and agricultural classes. He came to realize, as so many of his contemporaries, just how evil was the institution and devoted himself to killing it. He succeeded.

I'm happy you did some Two Minute Google Scholaring and learned something before you embarrassed yourself this time, Jake. You're never too old to learn things you never knew before. You'll also note the anti-slavery Xians were also active in Africa and everywhere else during the 19th century as well, and are currently, too, something else you never knew, like the history of southern Christian abolitionists, for instance. Be careful about spreading that around at your usual Hive centers like Democratic Underground and Daily Kos, though; they hand out permabans to heretics and deviants from the Party Line.

Picara, I did no googling. I just merely added some nuance to your comments. Unlike you I never embarrass myself on these subjects. I am glad you googled to check my comments. Do stay away from wiki, though. Oh, do you know how many abolitionists in the South, Christian or otherwise, were murdered in the cause before 1861.

Forum List

Back