New York City Sewer Worker Makes $772,000 -- In One Year

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH

Many Americans long for that day when their ships finally comes in. For several New York City employees that day arrived last year when they raked in more than $700,000.

One of the group, Gerald Mistretta, a city sewer worker, made more than the police commissioner, the schools chancellor and the mayor -- combined, reports the New York Daily News.

The Brooklyn father of three took home $771,841 for the fiscal year that ended in June. The amount included a yearly base salary of $109,850 and $173,000 in overtime -- plus nearly half a million dollars in back pay, according to the tabloid.

Mistretta said the huge lump sum makes up for all the years he went without a raise -- 16.

New York City Sewer Worker Makes $772,000 -- In One Year - Careers Articles

Okay, while I think the pay is a bit high, I don't have a problem with the back pay. What does bother me though is the fact the guy made $173,000 in overtime pay in one year. Generally speaking, overtime pay is not a good thing if you are an employer, unless it is a small amount and helps you avoid the need to hire another full-time person to whom you will also need to pay benefits. But this guy's overtime pay is almost enough to hire two more full-time people. This is the kind of thing that infuriates taxpayers.

Many Americans long for that day when their ships finally comes in. For several New York City employees that day arrived last year when they raked in more than $700,000.

One of the group, Gerald Mistretta, a city sewer worker, made more than the police commissioner, the schools chancellor and the mayor -- combined, reports the New York Daily News.

The Brooklyn father of three took home $771,841 for the fiscal year that ended in June. The amount included a yearly base salary of $109,850 and $173,000 in overtime -- plus nearly half a million dollars in back pay, according to the tabloid.

Mistretta said the huge lump sum makes up for all the years he went without a raise -- 16.

Okay, while I think the pay is a bit high, I don't have a problem with the back pay. What does bother me though is the fact the guy made $173,000 in overtime pay in one year. Generally speaking, overtime pay is not a good thing if you are an employer, unless it is a small amount and helps you avoid the need to hire another full-time person to whom you will also need to pay benefits. But this guy's overtime pay is almost enough to hire two more full-time people. This is the kind of thing that infuriates taxpayers.

Rightwinger made all that????

And that's the problem with firing people. The people left do more work. And it's generally more expensive on down the road.

Rightwinger made all that????

Time for a new husband? :lol:

Forum List

Back