New York City seeks to ban big sodas from restaurants, food carts

If you read Mark Sisson then you know that it is possible to avoid corn syrup.

We shouldnt have to learn to avoid it. Food that has been deemed fit for human consumption shouldnt KILL you. It should nourish you.

As Mark said himself:

the intake of HCFS has helped unleash a plague of obesity, insulin resistance and even heart disease. I’m no fan of sugar in general, but HFCS has an especially menacing profile

HFCS has generally added to Americans’ intake of sugars rather than replaced them. In other words, we now eat almost as much regular sugar as we used to, but now we inhale a whole other stream of sweetener in our daily diet, most of which is “hidden” in common processed foods.

Finally, the kicker? “USDA Organic” foods can contain them as well. HCFS made from organic corn is, well, organic! It’s considered a natural ingredient. Never mind that it’s one of the least healthy things you can put in your body.

The bottom line: the pervasiveness of HCFS is yet another reason to avoid processed foods entirely.

Read more: Dear Mark: Food with HFCS? | Mark's Daily Apple

We have warning labels for cigarettes. If we arent going to ban HFCS, then I want warning labels on every single product that contains it.

Well that's not going to happen since corn is one of the government's favored industries, so you have no choice but to avoid it.

Ooooooor......

While avoiding it, I could lobby for the removal of those subsidies and the banning of HFCS.

Just saying, this IS a democracy and we are supposed to have a voice. maybe rolling over and accepting it isnt the only course of action.

We shouldnt have to learn to avoid it. Food that has been deemed fit for human consumption shouldnt KILL you. It should nourish you.

As Mark said himself:

We have warning labels for cigarettes. If we arent going to ban HFCS, then I want warning labels on every single product that contains it.

Well that's not going to happen since corn is one of the government's favored industries, so you have no choice but to avoid it.

Ooooooor......

While avoiding it, I could lobby for the removal of those subsidies and the banning of HFCS.

Just saying, this IS a democracy and we are supposed to have a voice. maybe rolling over and accepting it isnt the only course of action.

What's libertarian about banning corn syrup though? Let people choose for themselves.

Anybody catch Bloomberg's Donut Day Proclamation today...

Amazingly, I didn't even have to make this up.

Yes what a job by Blooperberg the poster boy for r.i.n.o. group. Lol gender abortion is OK though but don't drink soda smh we are under a Marxist attack. Only lazy bums or idiots want or let people make choices for them.

I agree and if someone was making a choice for you that would be really bad....but thats not happening...calm down

Ooooooor......

What's libertarian about banning corn syrup though? Let people choose for themselves.

The governments role is to keep the playing field level. If every brand of cough syrup has the same toxic chemical in it, then that ingredient should be banned.

The government should NOT however be deciding what SIZE cough syrup we are allowed to buy. As John Stewart said, thats draconian.

New York City seeks to ban big sodas from restaurants, food carts

(CNN) -- New York City officials are proposing banning the sale of large-size sodas and other sugary beverages at restaurants and food carts.

"More than half of NYC adults (58%) are overweight or obese," Mayor Michael Bloomberg tweeted Thursday. "We're doing something about it."

Ah yes, another victory for the "pro-choice" crowd...

Well done guys!

Note, LARGE SIZE. And this cannot compare to the concern over the definition of "marriage" in CONGRESS while the US was stalled in two wars, one of which we lost because the reasons therefore did not exist.

Ooooooor......

The governments role is to keep the playing field level. If every brand of cough syrup has the same toxic chemical in it, then that ingredient should be banned.

The government should NOT however be deciding what SIZE cough syrup we are allowed to buy. As John Stewart said, thats draconian.

The government can't keep the playing field level. Any intervention is inherently going to favor some group to the detriment of another. As to your example, why would every cough syrup have a toxic chemical in it? Contrary to popular belief, it's not the in the best interest of companies to poison their customers.

If people don't want to ingest corn syrup they don't have to. I've gone months without eating or drinking anything contaminated with it, and if the government were to quit its policies aiding the corn industry then it would be even easier than it already is. It's not necessary to ban it.

Forum List

Back