New Year's Eve Dinner Theater

The Show didn't ruin our evening - but I hope to never see them again.

:)

^^^Moron.

Excellent diversion, but a fair question.

i noticed the whole racial thing too..

because it was a truly significant part of the story.

i particularly enjoyed the comments about how they used their benefits money to eat there, cause you know... there are no black gentry or anything.

I've eaten in some of the finest restaurants from Los Angeles to New Orleans to New York City and have had to endure my share of rude and rowdy customers, and I can't think of a single incident where it was a group of black people who got out of hand. That was the reason for my comment. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously, but to write a tome about an unfortunate incident with emphasis on their race as if only black people would act that way was typical of right wingers who claim it's "not them" who are racists but lefties who do race baiting. So now there's a whole thread full of names of people who sympathized with poor Boedicca, and I'll bet at some point in some thread they've all denied being racists.

i particularly enjoyed the comments about how they used their benefits money to eat there, cause you know... there are no black gentry or anything.

I've eaten in some of the finest restaurants from Los Angeles to New Orleans to New York City and have had to endure my share of rude and rowdy customers, and I can't think of a single incident where it was a group of black people who got out of hand. That was the reason for my comment. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously, but to write a tome about an unfortunate incident with emphasis on their race as if only black people would act that way was typical of right wingers who claim it's "not them" who are racists but lefties who do race baiting. So now there's a whole thread full of names of people who sympathized with poor Boedicca, and I'll bet at some point in some thread they've all denied being racists.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you can laugh.. but the reality is ... occasionally people of all types get out of hand. it isn't a common occurrance.

and race certainly shouldn't have been the focal point of the story, imo.

but then again, i'm used to being around all types of people.

He, at this point, seemed to have had enough of her behavior, and started berating her for "Acting Like A White Woman".​

Whatever you do, don't criticize the rude diners! :eek:

you can laugh.. but the reality is ... occasionally people of all types get out of hand. it isn't a common occurrance.

Race is the focal point, BY YOUR PERCEPTION. And there was NO inference that ONLY blacks act up such as described. None whatsoever.

YOU and Magpie are WRITING racism into the story where it doesn't exist.

HOWEVER: My Journalism training tells me that -- as an editor polishing up this piece -- the couple's race isn't at all relevant to the story and could easily have been left out, left for the reader to imagine. I would have deleted those references and asked instead for better descriptions of the couple's attire, mannerisms, etc.

I think it would have strengthened the article from a feature standpoint, and the replies from the readers would have been far more entertaining and interesting.

Just because a person who you perceive as white (IS Boedicca white? You do NOT know), mentions blacks in a negative light DOES NOT make it racist!

Crimony.

He, at this point, seemed to have had enough of her behavior, and started berating her for "Acting Like A White Woman".​

Whatever you do, don't criticize the rude diners! :eek:

I never implied she was wrong to criticize their rude behavior. But the crux of even telling the story implied that said rudeness could ONLY be perpetrated by black people.

Does anyone remember Bill O'Reilly relating his experience eating at some restaurant in Harlem and saying he was surprised they actually used silverware? This is the same kind of subtle bigotry on display.

I never implied she was wrong to criticize their rude behavior. But the crux of even telling the story implied that said rudeness could ONLY be perpetrated by black people.
It did NOT.

And again, like I asked Jillian: Do you KNOW Bodeicca is white? NO YOU DO NOT.

Feel like possibly a fool yet? I bet not. Because YOU are the racist.

Race is the focal point, BY YOUR PERCEPTION. And there was NO inference that ONLY blacks act up such as described. None whatsoever.

you can pretend that's true.

not even close. no matter how much you keep saying it.

HOWEVER: My Journalism training tells me that -- as an editor polishing up this piece -- the couple's race isn't at all relevant to the story and could easily have been left out, left for the reader to imagine. I would have deleted those references and asked instead for better descriptions of the couple's attire, mannerisms, etc.

and my training tells me that race was intentionally included and was absolutely the point.

should it have been left out? yes. unless of course the emphasis was intended, which it clearly was. though feel free to continue to do the alfred e. newman "what, me worry?" thing. and the proof of the intent is that when the response focused on race, particularly the one about how they must be using their benefit money to go out on, no one corrected any misconception on the part of the high fivers.

perhaps your complaint would be better placed with the person who wrote it than the people who

I think it would have strengthened the article from a feature standpoint, and the replies from the readers would have been far more entertaining and interesting.

Just because a person who you perceive as white (IS Boedicca white? You do NOT know), mentions blacks in a negative light DOES NOT make it racist!

Crimony.

yeah, like archie bunker never meant to be racist. ignorance is no excuse.

i do agree with you that the story would have garnered more interesting responses has the racial element not been emphasized.

Last edited:

Crimony.

That much is true. A few months back I posted a horrible personal incident that had to do with a neighbor who turned out to be a hoarder--one of those truly awful pigstys that are featured on a couple of reality programs now. It was stunning to actually be looking at (and smelling) the dump this woman had been living in. I think at some point I described her as a professional who always dressed well, was courteous, etc., but it never once occurred to me to put "white" in front of that description, nor would it occur to me to add that she was black, even if she had been.

I guess I'm just bothered by the fact that skin color still counts when some people might just casually be discussing something totally unrelated to what someone's race happens to be. Or like an ambulance EMT calling ahead to prepare ER staff of an incoming patient who is a black man with a head wound from a falling tree limb. Does the ER care that he's black? (Heard that one on the local news the other day.)

and started berating her for "Acting Like A White Woman".
:doubt:
That's quoted out of context. But you know that.

She's quoting "the show's" dinner partner there.

By the way, is Boedicca white? Do you know?

No, you do not.
I'm not quoting it out of context. I am highlighting my doubt that this was said.

I don't care if Dicca is purple...I still doubt the story. I see two people, her and the other woman, relying on stereotypes...if this is even true.

you can pretend that's true.

not even close. no matter how much you keep saying it.

and my training tells me that race was intentionally included and was absolutely the point.

should it have been left out? yes. unless of course it was intended to point, which it clearly was. though feel free to continue to do the alfred e. newman "what, me worry?" thing. and the proof of the intent is that when the response focused on race, particularly the one about how they must be using their benefit money to go out on, no one corrected any misconception on the part of the high fivers.

perhaps your complaint would be better placed with the person who wrote it than the people who

Crimony.
yeah, like archie bunker never meant to be racist. ignorance is no excuse.
Your conclusion is based on your assumption that Boedicca is white. Is she?

You do not KNOW. Therefore your entire premise is FAULTY.

The REAL assumption you have is, since you believe Bodeicca is "from the right" she's automatically a racist, no matter her skin color!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back