New Willy Wonka Re-make...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I saw the trailer for this movie online. Johnny Depp is Willy Wonka, so this should be good. I like the original Charlie & the Chocolate Factory movie. I can't wait to see the oompa loompas.

The trailer makes the movie look like an acid trip, though trailers can be decieving. But since Johnny Depp nearly always hits high marks in most of his movies, I am certain the movie will be good.

view the trailer here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/trailers

The trailer makes the movie look like an acid trip, though trailers can be decieving. But since Johnny Depp nearly always hits high marks in most of his movies, I am certain the movie will be good.

Tim Burton has said that his version will stick much closer to the book than the original did, so this one will probably be pretty dark and weird. In the original book, didn't Veruca Salt and a couple of the other kids die in the factory? I'm sure they won't be able to do that, but knowing Tim Burton, it will definitely be weird.

we spoke of this awhile back didnt we? Yes anytime Depp and Burton join forces, weirdness is an understatement of what insues. Cross "fear and loathing" with "Nightmare before Christmas" and i think you have the jist of what we're in store for. Should be a good stoner movie for years to come.

Yeah, we had discussed this earlier, but I'm always up for some Willy Wonka talk.

And, speaking of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, who here's a fan? I've found some people that really love it and others that absolutely hate it.

Personally, I thought it was fairly good, but nowhere near as good as the book (to be expected). I didn't think the movie really captured the drug paranoia that worked so well in the book. Basically, the movie seemed like more of a comedy whereas the book was more a drama. Take the scene where Benicio Del Toro eats all the acid then has that big breakdown in the tub (where he wants Thompson to throw the radio in the tub with him). In the book, that was a honestly scary, tense scene, but in the movie it was basically played entire for laughs. I guess it's pretty hard to realistically portray drug paranoia on film.

What'd everyone else think?

Dan said:
Tim Burton has said that his version will stick much closer to the book than the original did, so this one will probably be pretty dark and weird. In the original book, didn't Veruca Salt and a couple of the other kids die in the factory? I'm sure they won't be able to do that, but knowing Tim Burton, it will definitely be weird.

i have the original movie on dvd, and the extra features has interviews with some of the cast and crew. the original was actually supposed to be a giant ad for quaker oat's new candy bar, but the candy bar itself had problems with the chocolate melting at room temps, so it was pulled.

Is that the original movie or the book? I always sort of assumed it was a giant ad for Willy Wonka candy.

I saw fear and loathing in the theater many moons ago. At first i thought it odd and hard to decipher. Of course i went with a good looking girl and chose that movie cause i figured itd be empty (right i was). :thup: After seeing it again 3 or 4 or 10 times, i like the strange ride it takes you on. I never read the book but most book to movie transfers are terrible anyway. So i feel that basing my opinion solely on the movie, i like the performance.

Well, if you've never read the book, then the movie's fine. They're both really good, the book's just a little better.

And, yeah, the first time I saw the movie (this was before I read the book), I didn't like it too much. It is hard to figure out what's going on, but after watching it once or twice (or after reading the book and realizing you're not exactly supposed to know exactly what's going on all the time), you start to appreciate it more. I'm guessing it's probably better if you've done the drugs they're on in this movie.

Johnny Depp: I hate the man's ideas and his opinions, but his a damn good actor. One of my favorite actors actually. Anything hes in, he usually brings the level up a notch.

Wonder what you win if you get a golden ticket, if anything.

I saw a little behind the scenes on the remake yesterday, I didn't realize that the original only cost $3 million to make. They really pulled off a lot for that kind of money. Compare that to the remake which is currently budgeted at $150 million. Just think about how much money that really is. Insane.

Dan said:
Wonder what you win if you get a golden ticket, if anything.

I saw a little behind the scenes on the remake yesterday, I didn't realize that the original only cost $3 million to make. They really pulled off a lot for that kind of money. Compare that to the remake which is currently budgeted at $150 million. Just think about how much money that really is. Insane.

I just dont get how movie producers could get movies done only 20 to 30 years ago for 1/100th the price it is now. ITs freaking ridiculous. Depp alone probably wanted $20 mil for the movie. Sickening.

Yeah, I'm sure a majority of it goes to salaries for the actors (as well as Tim Burton). While, yes, it is sickening that actors get paid that much, I think if any actor's worth it, it's Johnny Depp.

Also, I think there is a higher bar on visuals these days. Back in the day, a movie like Psycho, with basically one setting and no real special effects, was considered the pinnacle of horror. Now, people expect to see effects-laden visuals like in The Ring. I guess what I'm trying to say is that what was commonplace visuals back when the original was made would be considered boring and uninventive these days.

And, also, if you've seen the trailer, they really have put a LOT of work into the sets, costumes, props, etc. for the remake.

Forum List

Back