New Twist On The Schiavo Case - Did Michael Wait To Call 911?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Probe Sought in Terri Schiavo 911 Call

By JACKIE HALLIFAX
The Associated Press
Friday, June 17, 2005; 1:09 PM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Friday that a prosecutor has agreed to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, citing an alleged gap in time from when her husband found her and called 911.

In a letter faxed to Pinellas-Pasco County State Attorney Bernie McCabe, Bush said Michael Schiavo testified in a 1992 medical malpractice trial that he found his wife collapsed at 5 a.m. on Feb. 25, 1990, and he said in a 2003 television interview that he found her about 4:30 a.m. He called 911 at 5:40 a.m.

"Between 40 and 70 minutes elapsed before the call was made, and I am aware of no explanation for the delay," Bush wrote. "In light of this new information, I urge you to take a fresh look at this case without any preconceptions as to the outcome."

McCabe was out of state Friday and couldn't immediately be reached for comment, but Bush said McCabe has agreed to his request.

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment from The Associated Press. But on Wednesday he said his client didn't wait to call for help. He said his client has conceded that he confuses dates and times.

Felos has said that if Michael Schiavo had not called 911 immediately, as Bush and others allege, Terri Schiavo would have died that day.

"There is no hour gap or other gap to the point Michael heard Terri fall and called 911," Felos said. "We've seen the baseless allegations in this case fall by the wayside one by one ... That's what I would call it, a baseless claim to perpetuate a controversy that in fact doesn't exist."

Terri Schiavo died March 31 from dehydration after her feeding tube was disconnected at her husband's request, despite unsuccessful efforts by her parents, Bush and others to keep her alive.

An autopsy released Wednesday concluded that she had been in a persistent vegetative state and revealed no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused before she collapsed.

It left unanswered the question of why Terri Schiavo's heart stopped, cutting oxygen off from her brain. The autopsy showed she suffered irreversible brain damage and her brain had shrunk to half the normal size for her age.

Bush's request was immediately criticized by some lawmakers.

"Enough is enough," said Democratic Sen. Ron Klein. "I don't want to see it on TV any more, I don't want to hear politicians talk about it. Let her be at peace."

Bush acknowledged in his letter that an investigation may be difficult.

"I understand that these events took place many years ago, and that you may not be able to collect all the relevant records and physical evidence. However, Mrs. Schiavo's family deserves to know anything that can be done to determine the cause and circumstances of her collapse 15 years ago," Bush wrote. "The unanswered questions may be unanswerable, but the attempt should be made."

So why wasn't this request made years ago? Can we all say, "Shameful political pandering
to a select voting block" (that being the right to lifers)?
Maybe he does plan to run for Pres..in 08.

Mr. P said:
So why wasn't this request made years ago? Can we all say, "Shameful political pandering
to a select voting block" (that being the right to lifers)?
Maybe he does plan to run for Pres..in 08.

As far as I understand he is going to take the Senate Seat being vacated by the Dem Senator from FL.

Wouldn't this be a "he said, she said" thing? She isn't saying much, this is going to go nowhere and is worthless government spending.

no1tovote4 said:
Wouldn't this be a "he said, she said" thing? She isn't saying much, this is going to go nowhere and is worthless government spending.

Two thumbs up to both your posts. And Mr. P. You are both absolutely correct.

How can someone remember exactly what happened that many years ago - especially in a traumatic situation?

Ole Jeb was pushing to side with the parents - now he can't let it go.

Definitely positioning for 2008.

Just another shameful attempt at politicizing this case. All this has already been examined many times and each time Mr. Schiavo has been exonerated. Jeb knows he'll never be president so he's looking for his 15 minutes.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
you go on and on dissing the case to justify your own opinion on euthanazation...the point of opening the case is to complete the investigation that was incomplete...ie:the alleged corruption of the county system as it was tied to the attorney of record for Mr.Michael Schaivo...who was... if you remember... a board member of the hospice she so conveniently was euthanized in...maybe they want to find out exactly where all the money set aside for her rehab actually went...and while they are at it find the missing admittance record for her original injury....not to hard to grasp the concept unless you are so set in your ways that you refuse to let go of antiquated thought process(I'm right and don't care what you say!) :rolleyes:

archangel said:
you go on and on dissing the case to justify your own opinion on euthanazation...the point of opening the case is to complete the investigation that was incomplete...ie:the alleged corruption of the county system as it was tied to the attorney of record for Mr.Michael Schaivo...who was... if you remember... a board member of the hospice she so conveniently was euthanized in...maybe they want to find out exactly where all the money set aside for her rehab actually went...and while they are at it find the missing admittance record for her original injury....not to hard to grasp the concept unless you are so set in your ways that you refuse to let go of antiquated thought process(I'm right and don't care what you say!) :rolleyes:

And you are doing the same to those who think this should just be left alone.

GotZoom said:
And you are doing the same to those who think this should just be left alone.

You opened this post...why did you not leave it alone and let law enforcement do their job! :shocked:

archangel said:

This case makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Like you, I don't care if it does either. There are just too many unanswered questions about this case. I think I remember the brother saying that Michael called him first about Terri, didn't call 911 right away - why on earth didn't he? Just observing the behavior of Michael Schaivo through the various reports is enough to make one suspicious of him. Not saying it is true, but it is conceivable that the man got away with murder.

GotZoom said:
I get amusement of absurdity.

You get amusement of (from) absurdity...whatever that means...I suppose you get amused when law enforcement admitts mistakes then reopens a case to get to the bottom of it...very funny indeed :cof: :slap:

ScreamingEagle said:
This case makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Like you, I don't care if it does either. There are just too many unanswered questions about this case. I think I remember the brother saying that Michael called him first about Terri, didn't call 911 right away - why on earth didn't he? Just observing the behavior of Michael Schaivo through the various reports is enough to make one suspicious of him. Not saying it is true, but it is conceivable that the man got away with murder.

Much is conceivable. If it is true that corruption closed the case it would be fascinating to see evidence of such a thing. I remember nothing of assertions that he had waited to call 911, maybe he did...

I still think it comes down to what he says and the evidence we have and it will lead nowhere and cost too much money and all for a specific political cause.

archangel said:
You get amusement of (from) absurdity...whatever that means...I suppose you get amused when law enforcement admitts mistakes then reopens a case to get to the bottom of it...very funny indeed :cof: :slap:

Typo: from.

If it was the law enforcement community that initiated the "re-investigation," then I might feel differently.

---

ov. Jeb Bush said Friday that a prosecutor has agreed to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, citing an alleged gap in time from when her husband found her and called 911.

In a letter faxed to Pinellas-Pasco County State Attorney Bernie McCabe, Bush said Michael Schiavo testified in a 1992 medical malpractice trial that he found his wife collapsed at 5 a.m. on Feb. 25, 1990, and he said in a 2003 television interview that he found her about 4:30 a.m. He called 911 at 5:40 a.m.

-----

Bush requested the investigation. Not the police.

GotZoom said:
Typo: from.

If it was the law enforcement community that initiated the "re-investigation," then I might feel differently.

---

ov. Jeb Bush said Friday that a prosecutor has agreed to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, citing an alleged gap in time from when her husband found her and called 911.

-----

Bush requested the investigation. Not the police.

Well if you are not aware... I will bring you up to speed...the Governor is the head law enforcement officer for the state...as is the President for the country! And for the initial 1990 admittance records...well Mr.Schiavo refused to release them...and now where are they?

Mr. P said:
Any idea why they waited so many years to get started?

never got started...why it took the state so long...your guess is as good as mine...but at least they are now on it! :huh:

archangel said:
Well if you are not aware... I will bring you up to speed...the Governor is the head law enforcement officer for the state...as is the President for the country! And for the initial 1990 admittance records...well Mr.Schiavo refused to relese them...and now where are they?

Yes, this I know.

Head Law Enforcement Officer.

Intersting that out of all the things going on in Florida, he chose to use his "Law Enforcement Powers" to do this.

Oh wait, what was his stand on the whole Schiavo thing anyway?

Right....

Must be a coincidence.

Right....

"...You Spin Me Right Round Baby, Right Round...."

Forum List

Back