New to the Board and have a Burning Question

V4V

Rookie
Feb 26, 2011
I'm a conservative who recently got more involved in politics as a direct result of coming to the reality of the election of a complete ideologue that I could no longer stand on the side line. That said, over the course of the past 3 years I started listening to talk radio as one of my primary sources of information and conservative philosophy. Along the way, and as I have become pretty familiar with main stream conservative voices on radio, I have my list of the ones that I respect the most and whom I like personally.

To my point, when I talk to other Republicans and/or Conservatives either at church, work, or wherever I always get into a conversation about talk radio hosts and I'm really surprised by 2 things and wanted your general feedback:

1) How many people like Glenn Beck
2) How many people haven't heard of Mark Levin

Anyone who has been active in conservative politics over the past year and who doesn't know who Mark Levin is makes me wonder how much they really have been involved. The guy has written the most successful conservative book of the past 3 years and has a radio audience of over 8 million listeners. Agree - thoughts?

On Glenn Beck - I would probably say that to his political/conservative views I would agree with probably over 95%, but there is just something about this guy this is somewhat phony to me and I can't put my finger on it. I am an active Christian, so I admire his faith, but he seems to blend to 2 in a way that comes across like some TV evangelist. He also seems to talk about so many off topics unrelated to politics and current events and I lose interest.

Here are the best in the business in order, but not much seperates them:
1) Levin 2)Limbaugh 3) Hannity

Other great ones I have heard as fillins and such: Mark Steyn, Michael Berry, Roger Hedgecock, Tom Marr, Herman Cain, Thomas Sowell, Brian Sussman, Neil Bortz...

I'm a conservative who recently got more involved in politics as a direct result of coming to the reality of the election of a complete ideologue that I could no longer stand on the side line. That said, over the course of the past 3 years I started listening to talk radio as one of my primary sources of information and conservative philosophy. Along the way, and as I have become pretty familiar with main stream conservative voices on radio, I have my list of the ones that I respect the most and whom I like personally.

To my point, when I talk to other Republicans and/or Conservatives either at church, work, or wherever I always get into a conversation about talk radio hosts and I'm really surprised by 2 things and wanted your general feedback:

Anyone who has been active in conservative politics over the past year and who doesn't know who Mark Levin is makes me wonder how much they really have been involved. The guy has written the most successful conservative book of the past 3 years and has a radio audience of over 8 million listeners. Agree - thoughts?

On Glenn Beck - I would probably say that to his political/conservative views I would agree with probably over 95%, but there is just something about this guy this is somewhat phony to me and I can't put my finger on it. I am an active Christian, so I admire his faith, but he seems to blend to 2 in a way that comes across like some TV evangelist. He also seems to talk about so many off topics unrelated to politics and current events and I lose interest.

Other great ones I have heard as fillins and such: Mark Steyn, Michael Berry, Roger Hedgecock, Tom Marr, Herman Cain, Thomas Sowell, Brian Sussman, Neil Bortz...

Everyone crosses the line of reason at some point, on Talk Radio, on these boards, in real life. Sometimes it is easy to see, sometimes, not so easy. Variety helps with the lighting, the contrast. I listen to Radio allot, I know most of the names on your list, I probably know the rest by voice.

I support the Real Glenn, not his alter ego's. I have a very high regard for Mark Levin, how many host's do you know that have argued before the Supreme Court? He is great on background and perspective, sometimes short on temper, though he has aged well. Rush has earned his place at the top, he has paid his dues. He has survived more hits than all the rest combined. I'm into Structured Liberty, Levin style, I do not support Tyranny in Government or Business, I just see it as a bigger threat with the force of law and arms behind it. ;)

Nothing phoney about Glenn at all. He's exactly the same in person without the radio and cameras as he is on them. He is who he is is.

V4V has offered us an interesting discussion here and I for one appreciate it.

All those on his 'list' have paid their dues to become household names who merit their own primetime radio and/or TV programs. I note that Michael Savage isn't included in the group. Was that intentional or just because he isn't prime time?

Beck isn't eveybody's cup of tea. Most I have running in the background while I do other stuff so, unless it is a topic of particular interest, I usually only get bits and pieces of the program on any given day. You can't do that with Beck as he is so methodical and technical in his presentations, he requires a lot of focus and attention. He also deals in a lot of subtle satire that will be missed or misunderstood if someone is not paying close attenton. Limbaugh, by contrast, uses up front in your face satire similar to Ann Coulter and it is unmistakable to those who are listening for content--generally misunderstood by those who want to misunderstand what he is saying and believe he is saying something else.

To Cali Girl's comment I agree that none of these guys should be made our gurus or teachers. But all have resources and knowledge that gives them ability to put the stuff out there that we would not otherwise have access to. Listen, hear, understand, and then do your own homework to decide if you can believe.

Levin is pretty much one of a kind though. I'm still trying to get through his book on the Supreme Court that is full of information but so technical it is difficult reading. But he is amazing in the stuff he knows and has researched.

But his best line ever was when subbing for Hannity one time and Sean still uses the clip now and then: "Get off the phone you big dope!"

I went primal a number of years ago and all I had was battery operated radio. I got shows from all over the continent. I've never stopped listening.

I'd put Levin at the top of the list. But don't discount Beck. A couple of years back in the formation of the Obama administration when many in radio were still trying to play nicey nicey Van Jones came up on the radar screen.

Beck had the balls to take the information and use it. He put Van Jones out there when no one else would.

I flipped as did many others. We were feeding many sources but in the key loop was New Zeal.

New Zeal fed Beck. And thank the Lord Beck had the balls to the walls to run with everything about Van Jones.

Cripes I was data mining day and night on this son of a B. I thought my fingers were going to bleed lol.

So don't discount Beck.

Mark Steyn is the love of my life. Man oh man he is cutting edge and hysterically funny. I love when he subs for Rush.

I'm with you on the people you are listening to in order to research politics and form an opinion. It is hard to form an opinion without information and you seem to be heading in the "right" direction. I do think Beck is awesome and 100% sincere, but agree that he does seem to want to evangelize too much for my taste. I love the way he presents evidence, through complete videos when he exposes someone. He is always encouraging viewers to do their own research. I watch every chance I get, and then the "talking heads" of other shows pick-up something he has already brought forth weeks before..lol. He is an amazing and positive influence in my opinion. I do not speak for others. I love his books as well as Mark Levin's awesome best-seller, I read, "Liberty and Tyranny." Thomas Sowell is my MAN, too.

I very much enjoyed your thoughtful introduction and hope you will find a sustained interest here.

***WELCOME***

Last edited:

Forum List

Back