New Thread Limit

I think this should close, pending Jim having a chance to answer.

USViking said:
I did not say the offender had broken any rules,
I was suggesting new rules be made to curb his abuses.

I believe I see what you're talking about. Although there are a lot of new posts, they weren't spam, against the rules, offensive... I think you get the point.

Sometimes someone may have a day off from work and end up posting higher than their normal rate. I know I used to post more when I was pissed off.

With issues such as this I would tend to have a 'wait and see' attitude. If it became offensive and annoying to the members I would politely mention it to the 'offender'. So far, I just see someone who made a lot of new posts on a particular day. Tomorrow is a new day and things change.

USViking said:
One of our members is posting a ridiculous number of new threads.

If everyone were to post at such a rate, we would have to
scroll through 5-10 pages just to keep up with the new ones,
not to mention locating older ones of interest.

If this member cannot get a grip on his ego, I suggest
limiting the number of new threads per day per member
to 10-20.

Here's a simple solution - if you find the number of posts by a member offensive, simply put that member on your ignore list. That way you have solved your problem.

There are probably lots of members, such as myself, who have no problem whatever with the number of entries any member posts. Matter of fact, I appreciate a member who takes the time to post several articles for review / discussion.

You may want to recall that simply because someone posted something does not mean that you are required to read it.

Merlin1047 said:
Here's a simple solution - if you find the number of posts by a member offensive, simply put that member on your ignore list. That way you have solved your problem.

There are probably lots of members, such as myself, who have no problem whatever with the number of entries any member posts. Matter of fact, I appreciate a member who takes the time to post several articles for review / discussion.

You may want to recall that simply because someone posted something does not mean that you are required to read it.

Ok, seems that some still want to get their voice heard, so I'll reopen this.

Said1 said:
You can't put a mod on ignore. :D

It's a bummer! :laugh: Then again, a mod shouldn't put any poster on ignore for the same reason-one must know what they are saying. :thup:

Merlin1047 said:

I can understand the reasoning behind not being able to put mods on ignore. Does that work both ways? Are mods prohibited from putting anyone on their ignore list?

Let me repeat a point I made:

If everyone posted as much as the member I am speaking of,
then we would literally have to scroll through dozens of pages
to see all new posts, and to find old ones.

A high percentage of the offender's posts have stimulated
NO replies. Maybe he will take that as a hint that he is not
as fascinating as he thinks he is.

I have never used the ignore list, on this or three other
boards. I might have to try it.

MissileMan said:
I can understand the reasoning behind not being able to put mods on ignore. Does that work both ways? Are mods prohibited from putting anyone on their ignore list?

I really don't know. I had one on my ignore list when 'regular' removed it when I started to be a mod. Only seems right. But that's me.

Merlin1047 said:

I don't think it is wise to always suggest that members put other members on ignore if they ahve a problem. You are looking at this from a very narrow perspective. I agree with jimmy, "wait and see". However, I also understand Adam's point as I belong to a board where one member would create at least 50 new threads per day and it became very difficult to follow what was going on. Furthermore, when perspective members would arrive, they would see 20 posts with one or two replies and think, "this board doesn't have much going on" and leave.

Wait and see.... the best advice yet.

freeandfun1 said:
I don't think it is wise to always suggest that members put other members on ignore if they ahve a problem. You are looking at this from a very narrow perspective. I agree with jimmy, "wait and see". However, I also understand Adam's point as I belong to a board where one member would create at least 50 new threads per day and it became very difficult to follow what was going on. Furthermore, when perspective members would arrive, they would see 20 posts with one or two replies and think, "this board doesn't have much going on" and leave.

Wait and see.... the best advice yet.
ditto on the hijacked threads----you can go to WOT or something and see two people flirt for 50 or so posts. Seems wrong to me but---whatever.

dilloduck said:
ditto on the hijacked threads----you can go to WOT or something and see two people flirt for 50 or so posts. Seems wrong to me but---whatever.
Flirting and whatever doesn't necessarily break the rules. It may be distracting, I personally find it so, but that's the rules.

What I do, which may or may not appeal to anyone else, if in a few posts, it's not brought back on topic, I write it off. Even if I started it.

I must admit that for some posters, I glance, if not a problem, I just go to new posts. I have no desire to read their tripe, unless I'm in a mood.

Kathianne said:
Flirting and whatever doesn't necessarily break the rules. It may be distracting, I personally find it so, but that's the rules.

What I do, which may or may not appeal to anyone else, if in a few posts, it's not brought back on topic, I write it off. Even if I started it.

I must admit that for some posters, I glance, if not a problem, I just go to new posts. I have no desire to read their tripe, unless I'm in a mood.

I'm not talking about rules----just suggesting that to encourage posting and discussion, we may want to try to stick to the subject of the thread.

dilloduck said:
I'm not talking about rules----just suggesting that to encourage posting and discussion, we may want to try to stick to the subject of the thread.
That IS the subject, no rules were broken.

Kathianne said:
That IS the subject, no rules were broken.
ditto on the hijacked threads----you can go to WOT or something and see two people flirt for 50 or so posts. Seems wrong to me but---whatever
sorry I didnt make it clear k----I was referring to this post of mine. I realize that it is not against the rules but hijacking treads--this is a bad thing no?

dilloduck said:
sorry I didnt make it clear k----I was referring to this post of mine. I realize that it is not against the rules but hijacking treads--this is a bad thing no?

Not according to the rules. Make your modifications.

USViking said:
Let me repeat a point I made:

If everyone posted as much as the member I am speaking of,
then we would literally have to scroll through dozens of pages
to see all new posts, and to find old ones.

That's just it - is anyone else posting as much? If not, what's the big deal? :D

With issues such as this I would tend to have a 'wait and see' attitude. If it became offensive and annoying to the members I would politely mention it to the 'offender'. So far, I just see someone who made a lot of new posts on a particular day. Tomorrow is a new day and things change

Here's you answer, Joker.

Forum List

Back