New Study says 'Abstinence-Only' works

From the article:

So, if you're teaching AOSED, I don't think you're teaching the correct use of condoms, or birth control pills, are they? If not, then my assumption would seem correct. And I did read the article. Went back after your post and re-read it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't see anywhere where it said the 1/3 that received AOSED and who were now having sex had been taught anything that would at least mitigate the undesirable outcomes from having unprotected sex.

then we must have different interpretations of what this means:

"But in this study, the teachers didn't take it that far. They purposely stayed away from religion, morality and marriage. For example, they did not preach waiting for sex until marriage or disparage using condoms."

i read the study a couple of weeks ago and i'm pretty sure that this version of what's being called abstinence only included information on contraception. my experience has been that advocating for delaying sexual activity AND providing information on contraception is the best policy.

i thought the article in the OP included more definitive language regarding this, but it is pretty ambiguous. my mistake. i apologize.

Don't get me wrong. If I were God, I'd program babies to not want to engage in sex until they were 21. I don't believe that teens and pre-teens are prepared for the consequences of sex. Heck, some adults are prepared for the consequences of sex. That said, if they were teaching about contraception, then they were not teaching abstinence only. They were teaching the same thing as any liberal sponsored sex ed class.

Thank goodness you're NOT God beowulf, because you would be violating one of His prime directives..........free will.

If you programmed the children so that they wouldn't engage in sex until 21 is a violation of free will, because you are forcing them into a specific action against their will.

Besides.......without free will, there is no sin. Without sin, there can be no forgiveness.

Without forgiveness, there can be no redemption.

You know something else? Parents are trying to be above God when they force abstinence only education, because it denies them the ability to understand the other side, which violates free will.

Hmmm...........come to think of it, there are a lot of Christian conservatives that seem to do that........the GOP and Christian Coalition come readily to mind on that.

then we must have different interpretations of what this means:

"But in this study, the teachers didn't take it that far. They purposely stayed away from religion, morality and marriage. For example, they did not preach waiting for sex until marriage or disparage using condoms."

i read the study a couple of weeks ago and i'm pretty sure that this version of what's being called abstinence only included information on contraception. my experience has been that advocating for delaying sexual activity AND providing information on contraception is the best policy.

i thought the article in the OP included more definitive language regarding this, but it is pretty ambiguous. my mistake. i apologize.

Don't get me wrong. If I were God, I'd program babies to not want to engage in sex until they were 21. I don't believe that teens and pre-teens are prepared for the consequences of sex. Heck, some adults are prepared for the consequences of sex. That said, if they were teaching about contraception, then they were not teaching abstinence only. They were teaching the same thing as any liberal sponsored sex ed class.

Thank goodness you're NOT God beowulf, because you would be violating one of His prime directives..........free will.

If you programmed the children so that they wouldn't engage in sex until 21 is a violation of free will, because you are forcing them into a specific action against their will.

Besides.......without free will, there is no sin. Without sin, there can be no forgiveness.

You know something else? Parents are trying to be above God when they force abstinence only education, because it denies them the ability to understand the other side, which violates free will.

Hmmm...........come to think of it, there are a lot of Christian conservatives that seem to do that........the GOP and Christian Coalition come readily to mind on that.

But if I were God, sex before 21 wouldn't be considered a part of free will. Just like breathing isn't a part of free will. The body does it with no prompting. And also remember, I'd be God! Freewill would be what I said it is.....:razz:

Last edited:

But if I were God, sex before 21 wouldn't be considered a part of free will. Just like breathing isn't a part of free will. The body does it with no prompting. And also remember, I'd be God! Freewill would be what I said it is.....:razz:

There is a difference between breathing (reflexive action) and choosing something (free will).

No, you wouldn't be God if free will was what you said it was, you'd be a devil because you would be dictating that others follow you, rather than allowing them to choose your way or not.

Try again. You're losing quite badly.

Didn't study much philosophy, did you?

There is a difference between breathing (reflexive action) and choosing something (free will).

No, you wouldn't be God if free will was what you said it was, you'd be a devil because you would be dictating that others follow you, rather than allowing them to choose your way or not.

So, you're saying that if God had designed man differently whereby the desire to have sex was programed to only kick in after age 21, he'd be some sort of devil??? (PS...I have a minor in philosophy). You should also be SURE you know where the other person is coming from before you declare winners and losers. It makes you look really dumb once you do understand where the other person is comining from.

Last edited:
A reflexive action is one that your body does normally to stay alive.

Having sex, as well as who you have it with, and how you do it is all choice, and there normally isn't anything concerned with individual survival if you get it or not.

You can choose who to marry, or choose to not marry, but if someone taps your kneecap with a patella hammer, your leg is gonna jump.

You can't stop your heartbeat either, because it's a reflexive action, meaning if it stops, you die.

Although........after a long dry spell, sometimes it may feel like you're gonna die if you don't get laid.

I have a hard time believing it is bad to teach kids that the only 100% effective way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and STDs is abstinence.

Having sex, as well as who you have it with, and how you do it is all choice, and there normally isn't anything concerned with individual survival if you get it or not.

You can choose who to marry, or choose to not marry, but if someone taps your kneecap with a patella hammer, your leg is gonna jump.

You can't stop your heartbeat either, because it's a reflexive action, meaning if it stops, you die.

Although........after a long dry spell, sometimes it may feel like you're gonna die if you don't get laid.

So, you're saying that God couldn't have created humanity to have the sex drive kick in at age 21 and anytime prior to that it would simply 'not be there' w/o that being curtailing man's free will. Think deeply about that if that is your position.

So, you're saying that God couldn't have created humanity to have the sex drive kick in at age 21 and anytime prior to that it would simply 'not be there' w/o that being curtailing man's free will. Think deeply about that if that is your position.

No. He didn't. Need proof? Look at the ages that your hormones kick in as well as when you physically become able to have children.

Then, look at the Torah (God's Word), as well as the Tanach, and look at all the things that happen when a child turns 13 (bar mitzvah).

Besides......what makes you think that you know better than God? One of the reasons that we mature when we do by the way, is because of the Flood. According to the Torah, our lives were shortened down to what they are now because our constitution had been so severely decimated.

Nope......try again.

No. He didn't. Need proof? Look at the ages that your hormones kick in as well as when you physically become able to have children.

Then, look at the Torah (God's Word), as well as the Tanach, and look at all the things that happen when a child turns 13 (bar mitzvah).

Besides......what makes you think that you know better than God? One of the reasons that we mature when we do by the way, is because of the Flood. According to the Torah, our lives were shortened down to what they are now because our constitution had been so severely decimated.

Nope......try again.

you're assuming that the Tora is actually God's word and not something that some guys a long time ago got together and thought it made good sense for governing their community. Don't get God and religion confused. They are NOT one and the same. Jsut like God (the creator, not god as depicted in religious books) designed man in such a way that the sex drive doesn't kick in until pre-teen years and we don't consider that as having tampered with man's free will; he could have easily have desiged it to kick in at age 21 and we wouldn't be the wiser. Just like we think it's normal for the sex drive to kick in during pre-teen years, we'd think it normal for the sex drive not to kick in at 21 and wouldn't give a second thought as to whether or not it violated our free will. Your arguument says that the sex drive kicking in during the pre-teen years is somehow violating our free will.

No. I stated that if you CHANGED the sex drive to 21, because of the problems it is causing in the form of teenage pregnancy, you would then be violating free will.

If it was designed that way, with no awareness of having had it earlier, then it's not a violation.

Changing it after the fact is, especially if you're changing it because it causes you discomfort.

Free will allows it all to exist, regardless of discomfort or not.

No. I stated that if you CHANGED the sex drive to 21, because of the problems it is causing in the form of teenage pregnancy, you would then be violating free will.

If it was designed that way, with no awareness of having had it earlier, then it's not a violation.

Changing it after the fact is, especially if you're changing it because it causes you discomfort.

Free will allows it all to exist, regardless of discomfort or not.

And are you arguing that if God changed the design it would violate man's free will?

So, you're saying that if God had designed man differently whereby the desire to have sex was programed to only kick in after age 21, he'd be some sort of devil??? (PS...I have a minor in philosophy). You should also be SURE you know where the other person is coming from before you declare winners and losers. It makes you look really dumb once you do understand where the other person is comining from.

When does it kick in now?

Birth?

Someone inform the pedos that ABS is cool with the baby's free will to ahve sex

I have a hard time believing it is bad to teach kids that the only 100% effective way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and STDs is abstinence.

Whats bad is when that is all you "teach" them.

Your opinion.

Kids don't need too much education when it comes to sex.

When you were a teen, did you not know that having sex without protection results in pregnancy?

Your opinion.

When you were a teen, did you not know that having sex without protection results in pregnancy?

Heh.....

When I was a teen, I couldn't have cared less one way or the other.

Your opinion.

Heh.....

When I was a teen, I couldn't have cared less one way or the other.

And would learning to put a condom on a banana have stopped you from having unprotected sex?

Watching a condom fitted onto an Elephant wouldn't have made any difference, so I doubt the bannana would have had any impact.

Last edited:

Your opinion.

Teens getting bored and horny is naturally going to lead to kids having sex whether or not someone tells them that you should wait for marriage. Teaching kids about the proper use and the availablilty of contraceptives (be it condoms, the pill, Plan B, etc) and how to minimize ones risk of getting an STD needs to be taught. Stress abstinence but teach them what is available.

And I think pretty much every teen knows that sex can lead to pregnancy. I was a teen 3 years ago and very much understood that fact.

Forum List

Back