New Study: Kids who eat candy every day grow up to be violent criminals

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Quick, hide the candy jar! Feeding your child candy every day could help turn Junior into a violent criminal, according to a large study in Britain, which found that 69 percent of the participants who had committed violence by 34 had eaten sweets or chocolate nearly every day during childhood.

For four decades, researchers from Cardiff University in Wales have studied nearly 17,500 participants born in 1970. They learned that 10-year-olds who munched on sweets daily were "significantly more likely" to have been convicted of violent crime by 34 than those who enjoyed candy as an occasional treat, according to the study published in the October British Journal of Psychiatry.

Among theories for the apparent disturbing link between high candy consumption and violence, lead researcher Simon Moore found one particularly compelling. "Giving children sweets and chocolate regularly may stop them from learning how to wait to obtain something they want," Moore said in a statement. "Not being able to defer gratification may push them towards more impulsive behavior, which is strongly associated with delinquency."

But other studies have also suggested a link between nutrition and violence. Pilot studies in Britain have shown that violence in prison can fall by 47 percent when inmates are given vitamins and other nutritional supplements every day, according to The Journal of Life Sciences. To that end, Oxford University researchers are undertaking a three-year nutrition study involving 1,000 young offenders at three institutions in England and Scotland.

The magazine also cites research by Oxford professor Bernard Gesch, who published findings in 2002 in the British Journal of Psychiatry that young offenders who received active capsules of nutrients committed on average 26 percent fewer disciplinary offenses than those taking placebos. For more serious offenders, the reduction was 37 percent. "The law tends to assume that criminal behavior is entirely a matter of free will. But how can you exercise free will without involving your brain, and how can your brain function properly without proper nutrients?" Gesch told the magazine. "The brain is a fatty organ, and our modern diet does not provide enough nutrients for it."

Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

Last edited:
There is some truth to that study. I see it first hand often in the school setting. Some children's bodies just can't "handle" sugar like others. They eat something sweet, and their activity level increases, almost to a hyper level. Even chocolate milk can do this in some kids. It depends on the chemistry in the body I suppose. I'm no expert, but what I have seen for the past 13 years of teaching is credible on this.

I'm talking about the "hyper" part, not the criminal part. I ate candy like it was going out of style as a kid, and look how cool and smooth I am..................... :cool:

I think it's a silly study. That's like saying kids who drink milk every day grow up to be drug users. Every criminal has eaten candy as a kid and everybody who has ever used drugs most likely drank milk at some point in their youth. I don't think the study will fly on it's merits.

Correlation does not infer causation.

Studies show that 98.9% of criminals drank tap water as children. This does not mean that children who drink tap water will become criminals...

I think it's a silly study. That's like saying kids who drink milk every day grow up to be drug users. Every criminal has eaten candy as a kid and everybody who has ever used drugs most likely drank milk at some point in their youth. I don't think the study will fly on it's merits.

"Giving children sweets and chocolate regularly may stop them from learning how to wait to obtain something they want," Moore said in a statement. "Not being able to defer gratification may push them towards more impulsive behavior, which is strongly associated with delinquency."
Perhaps kids who were eating candy all the time every day lacked adequate parenting; perhaps that's what is really at play here?

But other studies have also suggested a link between nutrition and violence. Pilot studies in Britain have shown that violence in prison can fall by 47 percent when inmates are given vitamins and other nutritional supplements every day, according to The Journal of Life Sciences.
Interesting.

in all seriousness though.....kids eat way to much Sugar.... people with diabetes and pre-diabetes is at way to high a level.....eating way to much Sugar over time....does fuck you up....like Speed...Sugar kills....

There has also been some evidence that kids who eat a lot of sugar are more likely to become dependent upon alcohol as they grow older. Alcohol is essentially sugar, so it makes sense.

Another idiotic study with no credibility or linkage to actual statement versus facts. Further proof that all someone in a white smock need do is claim a study showed x and people will believe it.

I'll bet those violent criminals ate some sort of high sugar breakfast cereal when they were kids too. We need Common Sense Breakfast Cereal Reform.

Let's face it, evil Breakfast Cereal companies are purposely getting our innocent children addicted to their product. They put too much delicious taste and fun into every box. Most even put a toy in there! What kid can resist that?

Cereal boxes should also come with standardized warnings: "WARNING! Consumption Of This Product May Cause You To Become A Violent Criminal!"

We should tax them as well. The cereal companies should also fund a program that teaches young people not to eat their product and funds sugar addiction and recovery programs.

Quick, hide the candy jar! Feeding your child candy every day could help turn Junior into a violent criminal, according to a large study in Britain, which found that 69 percent of the participants who had committed violence by 34 had eaten sweets or chocolate nearly every day during childhood.

For four decades, researchers from Cardiff University in Wales have studied nearly 17,500 participants born in 1970. They learned that 10-year-olds who munched on sweets daily were "significantly more likely" to have been convicted of violent crime by 34 than those who enjoyed candy as an occasional treat, according to the study published in the October British Journal of Psychiatry.

Among theories for the apparent disturbing link between high candy consumption and violence, lead researcher Simon Moore found one particularly compelling. "Giving children sweets and chocolate regularly may stop them from learning how to wait to obtain something they want," Moore said in a statement. "Not being able to defer gratification may push them towards more impulsive behavior, which is strongly associated with delinquency."

But other studies have also suggested a link between nutrition and violence. Pilot studies in Britain have shown that violence in prison can fall by 47 percent when inmates are given vitamins and other nutritional supplements every day, according to The Journal of Life Sciences. To that end, Oxford University researchers are undertaking a three-year nutrition study involving 1,000 young offenders at three institutions in England and Scotland.

The magazine also cites research by Oxford professor Bernard Gesch, who published findings in 2002 in the British Journal of Psychiatry that young offenders who received active capsules of nutrients committed on average 26 percent fewer disciplinary offenses than those taking placebos. For more serious offenders, the reduction was 37 percent. "The law tends to assume that criminal behavior is entirely a matter of free will. But how can you exercise free will without involving your brain, and how can your brain function properly without proper nutrients?" Gesch told the magazine. "The brain is a fatty organ, and our modern diet does not provide enough nutrients for it."

Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

:cuckoo: I love how they do these "studies" on 1,000 offenders, but not on 1,000 people who have never offended, as a control group.

I believe that vitamins and eating healthy will inevitably lead to better brain function- but most criminals' brains function just fine, I would say..

And the part about instant gratification with candy?? Well, shouldn't they apply that same logic to everyone who uses the internet daily, or even to everyone who makes spontaneous purchases regularly? And what about kids who are given toys on demand, when they go to a store, or are allowed to grab items they want and just put them in the cart? What about the whole free speech thing? Maybe kids who are allowed to say whatever is on their mind, whenever they want to, will also become criminals, if this study's logic follows.. That is pretty damn stupid.

Silly study, in my opinion.. Just wait till it is peer-reviewed.. The methodology alone will surely cause this theory to be debunked easily enough.

Hey I ate candy for breakfast lunch and dinner as a kid. So what? Ya wanna fuck with me? Bring it on!!!!!

toughchick.jpg

is this anything like the studies that "showed" that children who played hours of video games, particularly shoot-em-up ones, were more likely to become massacre killers?

LIES! Outright fucking lies! I grew up on a diet of rasinettes, candy corn, cotton candy and washed it down with KoolAid and Mountain Dew and Look how I turned out!

Forum List

Back