New statue has something to offend everyone!

Depicting Abraham Lincoln as a humanitarian is laughable.

You're right. He should have a category all his own. Reserved for one of the greatest men to ever live.

If you call trampling on the constitution and forcing big government upon the citizens, then yeah, he was great.
If you believe in states rights and freedom, not so much.

Give a few examples and I'd be glad to refute/debate them. Until then I'll accept the apparently "near" universal truth that Abraham Lincoln is one of the greatest presidents/men to ever live.

You're right. He should have a category all his own. Reserved for one of the greatest men to ever live.

If you call trampling on the constitution and forcing big government upon the citizens, then yeah, he was great.

Give a few examples and I'd be glad to refute/debate them. Until then I'll accept the apparently "near" universal truth that Abraham Lincoln is one of the greatest presidents/men to ever live.

One example isn't enough?
Who set forth the force of the federal government against states rights?

- Lincoln's desire to deport all African-Americans out of the country.
- Lincoln's support of the Corwin Amendment to make slavery permanent and irrevocable.
- Lincoln's support for an Illinois state law forbidding free blacks from emigrating to the state.
- Lincoln's support for high protective tariffs that hurt the south and benefitted the north.
- Lincoln's deportation of an Ohio Congressman for speaking out against him.
- Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus in the north.
- Lincoln's shutting down of opposition newspapers in the north.
- Lincoln's issuing an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- Lincoln's waging a war to suppress the right to self-government.

- Lincoln's support of the Corwin Amendment to make slavery permanent and irrevocable.
- Lincoln's support for an Illinois state law forbidding free blacks from emigrating to the state.
- Lincoln's support for high protective tariffs that hurt the south and benefitted the north.
- Lincoln's issuing an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
Damn, Kevin, I was gonna feed them one at a time, I think you may have just overwhelmed (non)Liberty4all.
Carry on though.
I'll sit back and watch.

Generalities are fun...but they don't keep a debate going. To what SPECIFIC instance are you referring to?

Source?
You must mean James Buchanan's? It passed days into Lincoln's presidency and he neither opposed nor favored it.
Source; name of law; years; anything? Do you want debate or do you want me to individually have to decode your statements?
Laws; Links; Anything?
This is becoming a broken record. Name of congressman perhaps?
So out of context it gives me stomach pains.
Oh comon.

All of these facts are so subjective and out of context I would be a fool to post open-ended remarks. I could randomly post general facts as well if you'd like.

1. Abraham Lincoln made the decision to fight to prevent the nation from splitting apart.

2. Abraham Lincoln was an unfaltering commander in chief during the Civil War which preserved the United States as one nation.

3. Abraham Lincoln's foreign policy was successful in preventing other countries from intervening in America's Civil War.

4. Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which began the process of freedom for America's slaves. The document also allowed black soldiers to fight for the Union.

5. Abraham Lincoln was a strong supporter of the Thirteenth Amendment that formally ended slavery in the United States.

6. Legislation Abraham Lincoln signed into law included the Homestead Act, the Morrill Act, the National Banking Act, and a bill that chartered the first transcontinental railroad.

7. Abraham Lincoln set an example of strong character, leadership, and honesty which succeeding presidents tried to emulate. Barack Obama is the latest to look to Lincoln as a model.

All I had to do was copy and paste. I must be a genius.

Damn, Kevin, I was gonna feed them one at a time, I think you may have just overwhelmed (non)Liberty4all.
Carry on though.
I'll sit back and watch.

This was the point after all, was it not?

Generalities are fun...but they don't keep a debate going. To what SPECIFIC instance are you referring to?

Generally, it's known by the false term of "The US Civil War". Although, technically, a civil war is two or more factions fighting for control of a central government. Secession is entirely different. Mr Lincoln set forth the control of an overly oppressive federal government that restricted states rights to the point that secession was not allowed. It was done to control and violate states rights that were outlined in the constitution. What a fucking hero.

The money might be better spent on ___________________ (your choice of whatever floats your boat here)

As long as it's not federal money (ie. mine) I don't give a rat's ass what the tweekos in Oakland want to spend their money on.

I have to say, though: Rigoberta Menchu? Seriously? The bitch was a total fraud.

Forum List

Back