New Rules At Football Games, Nothing To Do With OK Game 'Suicide', Move Along

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/008525.php

New Stadium Security Policies Announced

The Big 12 football conference is tightening security measures around its stadiums. Now I can't help but notice that these new security measures closely follow the suicide of Joel Hinrichs by explosion outside the football stadium in Oklahoma.

I have been following that case in all its strange permutations: he apparently had jihad material, bomb-making material, and a Muslim roommate. He had a beard like one a convert to Islam would have. But his father says he was not a Muslim and the local MSA says they don't know him, and no conclusive proof has been found indicating that he was indeed a Muslim. His death has been universally portrayed by officials and the mainstream media as an individual suicide, albeit in a rather bizarre fashion. I can't recall ever before hearing of anyone committing suicide by blowing himself up except for Muslims who intended to take as many others with them as possible.

But if he was just a lone nut with a random target, and the local Muslims saw nothing and know nothing, why tighten security at the stadiums? Or do authorities suspect that a plot may be afoot akin to efforts last year to launch jihad at a British soccer stadium?

"New Stadium Security Policies Announced: Texas Tech Athletics has announced new security measures for Jones SBC Stadium that will go into effect immediately," from the Texas Tech Athletics page, with thanks to Bob:

Texas Tech and the Big 12 Conference are increasing stadium security around the league due to concerns over recent events and the conference policy of making each stadium as safe and secure as possible. The following changes will be made beginning with the Kansas State game this weekend.

Effectively immediately, the screening of individuals and their possessions when entering Jones SBC Stadium will be more stringent than in past games.

BAGS, BACKPACKS and/or similar items will not be allowed inside the Stadium.

But never fear, the ACLU is here:

http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2005/10/13/aclu-vs-the-bucs/

Tampa, Florida — If you’ve been to a Bucs game this season, you’ve seen and felt a difference — you get patted down before entering the stadium.

But on Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union and a Bucs season ticket holder are taking the owners of Raymond James Stadium to court.Source

Why the ACLU has decided to sue the Bucs when this is across the board mandated by the NFL is beyond me. The NFL said in August it was requiring all teams to conduct the pat-downs of fans, in an attempt to prevent a terrorist attack by someone with explosives. Of course this isn’t suprising since they are also against random searches on NY subways. This proves a very good point. The ACLU is against any kind of search no matter how it will protect us. They are against profiled searches, random searches, and now they show they are even against a search of everyone across the board. This lawsuit is ridiculous in my opinon. Another example of the word frivilous!

Michelle Malkin keenly points to this and this as further proof of how ridiculous the lawsuit is. Kit at Euphoric Reality has an interesting idea on all of this, creating signs for ACLU Offices. Third World County has started a meme to get the sign making started. Cathouse Chat says Heeeeer’s your sign.

SIGN PETITION TO STOP TAXPAYER FUNDING OF THE ACLU

Kathianne said:

How much privacy is to much to trade for security?

Escpecially considering the 9/11 terrorists could have likely gotten away with the same thing had their been searches. They would have had to be a little more creative about what they used in place of box cutters - but it could have been done just the same. The things that would have prevented them - locking the cockpit, havnig no-fly lists, stuff like that - are not searches.

I sure hope the SEC doesn't adopt stricter policies - wouldn't want to be unable to sneak in with my booze!

I'm a little rusty on the details of the OK bomber - but isn't the reason the bomb was exploded outside the stadium BECAUSE of the security there - because he didn't want to go through security? What's the point of increasing security if the current level of security was enough to do the job? What are they going to do - search everyone entering campus? May be feasible for some campuses - but not most.

SpidermanTuba said:
How much privacy is to much to trade for security?

For people going into a privately owned stadium (i.e. Raymond James Stadium), there should be no expectation of privacy. It's not public grounds, it's a private (albeit huge) building. Suck it up.

gop_jeff said:
For people going into a privately owned stadium (i.e. Raymond James Stadium), there should be no expectation of privacy. It's not public grounds, it's a private (albeit huge) building. Suck it up.

I agree with Jeff. I also think that we seem blinded by what is happening, reported on the side, we refuse to believe that there may be those that wish us harm in a big way.

Forum List

Back