New Report Confirms Global Cool Down

Determining if any given year is statistically significantly above or below the mean really depends on how large a period of time you're looking at, doesn't it?

Thirty years is WAY TOO SMALL a time period to draw any conclusions about the world's climate, that's for damned sure.

Uh-huh....I guess that's why the EPA stuffed their latest report that the temps had been trending downward for the last decade down the Memory Hole. :rolleyes:

The last decade was the WARMEST in the history of direct instrument measurement!! :cuckoo:
Not according to the EPA report that was spiked.

But I guess the only "science" that matters is that which reaches the conclusions you want to acknowledge, huh??

Last edited:
Uh-huh....I guess that's why the EPA stuffed their latest report that the temps had been trending downward for the last decade down the Memory Hole. :rolleyes:

The last decade was the WARMEST in the history of direct instrument measurement!! :cuckoo:

But I guess the only "science" that matters is that which reaches the conclusions you want to acknowledge, huh??

Yes indeed.

Professor Akasofu said it well regarding the global cooling being seen in stark contrast to the doom n gloom global warming predictions made by Hansen and company at the start of 2000...

"The global average temperature stopped increasing after 2000 against the IPCCs prediction of continued rapid increase. It is a plain fact that does not require any pretext.

Keith Thompson has concluded that, "Certainly rising CO2 has some effect on global temperatures, but all we can say after 30-plus years of accurate CO2 and satellite measurements is that the effect of man-made CO2 addition must be negligible in light of all the other causes of temperature change that we are just beginning to understand."

Here we see the discrepency between falling temperatures and rising CO2 - the theory connected the two as absolute is proving at best exagerated...

image_preview

And here we see the laughable warming projections by the IPCC vs the actual data - and this is the institution so many global warmers turn to for guidance?

Monckton%204%2028%2009.JPGcomp.JPG

Ah, and even more media-agendized humor from 1975 - TIME Magazine warning of the "Cooling of America" where TV's would be used as fireplaces to combat the bitter cold caused by our terrible polluting that was causing the earth to spiral into a deathly ice age...

global-cooling.jpg

A few predictions from the first earth day:

• “...civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,” biologist George Wald, Harvard University, April 19, 1970.

• By 1995, “...somewhere between 75 and 85 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.” Sen. Gaylord Nelson, quoting Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, Look magazine, April 1970.

• Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor “...the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born,” Newsweek magazine, January 26, 1970.

• The world will be “...eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age,” Kenneth Watt, speaking at Swarthmore University, April 19, 1970.

• “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation,” biologist Barry Commoner, University of Washington, writing in the journal Environment, April 1970.

• “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from the intolerable deteriorations and possible extinction,” The New York Times editorial, April 20, 1970.

• “By 1985, air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half...” Life magazine, January 1970.

• “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich, interview in Mademoiselle magazine, April 1970.

• “...air pollution...is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone,” Paul Ehrlich, interview in Mademoiselle magazine, April 1970.

• Ehrlich also predicted that in 1973, 200,000 Americans would die from air pollution, and that by 1980 the life expectancy of Americans would be 42 years.

• “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” Earth Day organizer Denis Hayes, The Living Wilderness, Spring 1970.

• “By the year 2000...the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America and Australia, will be in famine,” Peter Gunter, North Texas State University, The Living Wilderness, Spring 1970.

I can tell you it has been unusually cool in the Northeast of the USA. Last month's average temperature was 63 degrees....typically in my town its 69 degrees.

I have heard that other parts of the country have been warmer than normal too so maybe it balances.

The average temp of the earth hasn't really changed over the last 20 years though which is an indisputable fact. It is also the reason people are not calling it global warming anymore but are now calling it climate change.

However, the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen steadily over the last 30 years.

I'm not a scientist but if CO2 levels are rising yet global temps are remaining constant does that mean CO2 does not contribute to warming the planet?

Maybe in fact CO2 is cooling the planet by blocking radiation/heat that would have otherwise been absorbed by the earth from the sun.

I'm not a scientist if you can't tell :lol:

A few predictions from the first earth day:

• “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich, interview in Mademoiselle magazine, April 1970.

• “...air pollution...is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone,” Paul Ehrlich, interview in Mademoiselle magazine, April 1970.

• Ehrlich also predicted that in 1973, 200,000 Americans would die from air pollution, and that by 1980 the life expectancy of Americans would be 42 years.
Paul Erlich is easily the biggest Malthusian declinist moonbat of the last century. Yet, he's still on staff at some left coast college.

A-friggin'-mazing!!

Your reply is a perfect example of the first quote in my sig.

To reach the conclusion that the last decade was cooling in spite of the fact that surface temps were the highest of any decade since direct instrument measurement began, you have to dishonestly use the cooked Troposphere data from Ditto-Dopers Christy and Spencer.
Here's the real data, and don't give me that heat island crap unless you are prepared to explain why the oceans are warming for the last 100 years, which both you and Lieability ran from when challenged in another thread:

glob-jan-dec-pg.gif

I can tell you it has been unusually cool in the Northeast of the USA. Last month's average temperature was 63 degrees....typically in my town its 69 degrees.

I have heard that other parts of the country have been warmer than normal too so maybe it balances.

The average temp of the earth hasn't really changed over the last 20 years though which is an indisputable fact. It is also the reason people are not calling it global warming anymore but are now calling it climate change.

However, the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen steadily over the last 30 years.

I'm not a scientist but if CO2 levels are rising yet global temps are remaining constant does that mean CO2 does not contribute to warming the planet?

Maybe in fact CO2 is cooling the planet by blocking radiation/heat that would have otherwise been absorbed by the earth from the sun.

Your "indisputable fact" is thoroughly disputed by the facts, so any conclusion you draw is equally flawed.

What is madness? To have erroneous perceptions and to reason correctly from them.
- Voltaire

glob-jan-dec-pg.gif

When we are discussing climates, we are also discussing things that swing wildly from year to year, see all the charts above, and also have long wild swinging trends. Who is not to say that the 19th century was the anomaly and the late 20th century was the norm? That one chart just assigned the norm to the middle value. It could be that the 19th century, like the 14th century was abnormally cold, and the trend was back to the norm, rather from the norm to a high value. We really don't have a good handle on the data.

And the last era has been really flaky anyway. I remember from a class I took 30 years ago that scientists believed that the normal earth temperature for much of the period before the ice ages was about 4*c above what is considered normal now. I don't know where they got that number, but they were making guesses from geologic records from caves in South Africa that showed lots of desesrtification was the norm for long periods of time.
I think what I find irritating is the global warming cranks are making a religion out of what strikes me as very dishonest data and calling it science. And then they make fun of creationists who base their science on the poetry of itinerant shepherds from the back end of the Mediterranean. Ok, so the creationist belief is goofy, but at least it is pretty.

Of course, I do my best to actually do something good for the environment. I drive little, my usual transport is either by foot or by bike. i recycle. I don't waste.
It does bug me that the true believers in the bad science don't follow my example It bugs me to see someone in solitary glory in their Escalade with a "I vote for the Environment" sticker while I breathe the fumes on my bike and fume at the stupidity and the waste.

To reach the conclusion that the last decade was cooling in spite of the fact that surface temps were the highest of any decade since direct instrument measurement began, you have to dishonestly use the cooked Troposphere data from Ditto-Dopers Christy and Spencer.
Here's the real data, and don't give me that heat island crap unless you are prepared to explain why the oceans are warming for the last 100 years, which both you and Lieability ran from when challenged in another thread:
IOW, you're completely good with cherry picking your data....Even when that means suppressing contradictory data that comes from one of your favored sources, like the EPA.

Just keep this crap a-coming!! :lol:

When we are discussing climates, we are also discussing things that swing wildly from year to year, see all the charts above, and also have long wild swinging trends. Who is not to say that the 19th century was the anomaly and the late 20th century was the norm? That one chart just assigned the norm to the middle value. It could be that the 19th century, like the 14th century was abnormally cold, and the trend was back to the norm, rather from the norm to a high value. We really don't have a good handle on the data.

And the last era has been really flaky anyway. I remember from a class I took 30 years ago that scientists believed that the normal earth temperature for much of the period before the ice ages was about 4*c above what is considered normal now. I don't know where they got that number, but they were making guesses from geologic records from caves in South Africa that showed lots of desesrtification was the norm for long periods of time.
I think what I find irritating is the global warming cranks are making a religion out of what strikes me as very dishonest data and calling it science. And then they make fun of creationists who base their science on the poetry of itinerant shepherds from the back end of the Mediterranean. Ok, so the creationist belief is goofy, but at least it is pretty.

Of course, I do my best to actually do something good for the environment. I drive little, my usual transport is either by foot or by bike. i recycle. I don't waste.
It does bug me that the true believers in the bad science don't follow my example It bugs me to see someone in solitary glory in their Escalade with a "I vote for the Environment" sticker while I breathe the fumes on my bike and fume at the stupidity and the waste.

Either you or they just made up the 4 degree number.

2.jpg

IOW, you're completely good with cherry picking your data....Even when that means suppressing contradictory data that comes from one of your favored sources, like the EPA.

Just keep this crap a-coming!! :lol:

Again, a perfect example of the first quote of my sig. It's your "suppressed" report that cherry-picks the data by comparing a short term high to a short term low rather than more honestly comparing highs to highs and lows to lows. Here's the uncooked long term Troposphere data that dishonest deniers like to cherry-pick over the short term.
Satellite_Temperatures.png

Your "indisputable fact" is thoroughly disputed by the facts, so any conclusion you draw is equally flawed.

What is madness? To have erroneous perceptions and to reason correctly from them.
- Voltaire

glob-jan-dec-pg.gif

The data we have since we had highly accurate temp readings from satellites says that the average temperature is the same today as it was over 30 years ago.

If you dont want to see that I cant help it man.

I have no pony in this show, i'm just relaying the information.

Have a nice being a jerk to people for no good reason :eusa_eh:

GISP_to_4Kbp.gif

Vostok_CO2_1.gif

Vostok_CO2_2.gif

recent_temp_CO2.gif

Last edited:
We are adding 8 BILLION TONS of CO2 to the atmosphere every year.

We have increased atmospheric CO2 by 40% in the last 200 years.

Soon we will have DOUBLED the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

The clamor from global-warming deniers has heated up as the nation gets closer to taking action, yet their comprehension of climate science hasn't improved. A particularly common obfuscation from right-wing pundits is the "revelation" that global temperatures have been declining since 1998, even as carbon emissions during the intervening 11 years have risen. This hardly debunks the climate change theory. The cyclical El Niño phenomenon and heavy greenhouse gas concentrations combined to make 1998 the hottest year in recorded history. Such statistical blips are properly ignored by most climatologists, who look at average temperatures over time rather than year-to-year data. And the last decade was on average the hottest ever recorded.

- Voltaire

glob-jan-dec-pg.gif

The data we have since we had highly accurate temp readings from satellites says that the average temperature is the same today as it was over 30 years ago.

Have a nice being a jerk to people for no good reason :eusa_eh:

GISP_to_4Kbp.gif

Vostok_CO2_1.gif

Vostok_CO2_2.gif

recent_temp_CO2.gif

Bingo.

- Voltaire

glob-jan-dec-pg.gif

Have a nice being a jerk to people for no good reason

Well, since surface temps didn't support your claim that the average temp is the same today as 20 years ago, in typical CON$ervative fashion rather than admit that GOP hate radio deliberately misinformed you, you call ME a jerk for being better informed.

Here's the 30 year satellite data, tell me you see no warming trend either. :cuckoo:

Satellite_Temperatures.png

Forum List

Back