New rep system?

I disagree. If Geoff Davis had said about Obama, "That ******'s finger does not need to be on the button," instead of "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," there would have been none of the dancing around about if it was racist or not.

Wrong. Using the term "******" is racist. In the context of the statement, the term "boy" was not racist. It could have been if used in a racist context.

Either way, it's racist or not. No middle ground.

The only middle ground you see is the assumption of racism you place on a term that there is no other evidence to support it was stated in a racist manner.

I disagree. If Geoff Davis had said about Obama, "That ******'s finger does not need to be on the button," instead of "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," there would have been none of the dancing around about if it was racist or not.

I'm not racist. At least I hope I'm not. But just shortly before that Geoff Davis thing I nearly emailed some comment to my brother about his boy Obama doing something I didn't care for. But in reading before sending I saw how it could be read as racist. I think I was using it more as a shortened version of homeboy which just sounds affected, so I sdited my email.

Who can say for sure if Geoff Davis was being racist when he said, "that boy..' I think there's big difference in the connotation depending on what part of the country you are in. In any case, it was clever of him to use it.

Wrong. Using the term "******" is racist. In the context of the statement, the term "boy" was not racist. It could have been if used in a racist context.

Either way, it's racist or not. No middle ground.

The only middle ground you see is the assumption of racism you place on a term that there is no other evidence to support it was stated in a racist manner.

Wrong, it was racist as determined right here at USMB.

Using the term "******" is racist. - GunnyL

Exactly my point. It's a racist word. Boy sometimes is and sometimes is not, depending on the context. Some terms are more racist than others.

I'm not racist. At least I hope I'm not. But just shortly before that Geoff Davis thing I nearly emailed some comment to my brother about his boy Obama doing something I didn't care for. But in reading before sending I saw how it could be read as racist. I think I was using it more as a shortened version of homeboy which just sounds affected, so I sdited my email.

Who can say for sure if Geoff Davis was being racist when he said, "that boy..' I think there's big difference in the connotation depending on what part of the country you are in. In any case, it was clever of him to use it.

In your context it wouldn't have been racist.

Why did you think it was clever of him to use it? Keep in mind that he apologized which implies that he agreed himself it was racist.

Wrong, it was racist as determined right here at USMB.

Using the term "******" is racist. - GunnyL

Exactly my point. It's a racist word. Boy sometimes is and sometimes is not, depending on the context. Some terms are more racist than others.

Incorrect. The fact that you and a few other lib-bots determined it was racist because it suits your agenda does not make it so.

And no, I am not making your point either. The fact that words may or may not have more than one meaning does not in any validate your "kinda racist" argument.

It's racist or it isn't. In the context the word "boy" was used, you have to fabricate intent in order to assume racism; therefore, you and anyone tht agrees with you is making shit up. Plain and simple.

Exactly what I was thinking about you. I was just trying to be polite enough to not post it.

Every direction this argument has gone with you boils down to the same thing ... you make up the facts to suit yourself and you've been shot down on each and every one.

That doesn't make ME cuckoo. To the contrary .....;)

Exactly what I was thinking about you. I was just trying to be polite enough to not post it.

Every direction this argument has gone with you boils down to the same thing ... you make up the facts to suit yourself and you've been shot down on each and every one.

That doesn't make ME cuckoo. To the contrary .....;)

No, what it makes you is rather regressively convinced of your own opinions.

No, what it makes you is rather regressively convinced of your own opinions.

Still trying to run this circular game, are you? The facts support my opinions. Yours are supported by assumptions and your redefining words to suit your argument.

They stand for themselves, respectively.

Still trying to run this circular game, are you? The facts support my opinions. Yours are supported by assumptions and your redefining words to suit your argument.

They stand for themselves, respectively.

Once again, you have given me no facts. You have only given your opinion.

Once again, you have given me no facts. You have only given your opinion.

I see even being called on it doesn't daunt your circular arguments. You are incorrect. I have provided facts for each and every argument I have made, and each of my stances is based on those actual facts.

YOU have provided nothing but your opinions, attempting to pass them off as fact as a counter.

You have been proven incorrect on several counts, by the facts, not my opinions, and you continue to pretend you don't see them. A toddler's game you play ... really.

I see even being called on it doesn't daunt your circular arguments. You are incorrect. I have provided facts for each and every argument I have made, and each of my stances is based on those actual facts.

YOU have provided nothing but your opinions, attempting to pass them off as fact as a counter.

You have been proven incorrect on several counts, by the facts, not my opinions, and you continue to pretend you don't see them. A toddler's game you play ... really.

The only thing you posted that you claim is "fact" is that some guys call you white boy in spanish. Given your inability to garner the meaning of someone's statement, they could easily know your well known stance that calling someone boy is an affectionate term and are actually flirting with you.

Nothing I have posted on this thread have I claimed to be fact. It is all my opinion, based on my observations.

The only thing you posted that you claim is "fact" is that some guys call you white boy in spanish. Given your inability to garner the meaning of someone's statement, they could easily know your well known stance that calling someone boy is an affectionate term and are actually flirting with you.

Nothing I have posted on this thread have I claimed to be fact. It is all my opinion, based on my observations.

You mean my refusal to read meanings into words that aren't there and words into statements that aren't there? Guilty as charged. I have no intention of doing so.

The fact is, you try to hide your inability to debate and/or support your opinions behind a smokescreen of running in verbal circles, refusing to even admit you see facts that are presented to you. Not to mention attempting to dismiss facts as opinions because you have no other argument but to run from them.

You mean my refusal to read meanings into words that aren't there and words into statements that aren't there? Guilty as charged. I have no intention of doing so.

The fact is, you try to hide your inability to debate and/or support your opinions behind a smokescreen of running in verbal circles, refusing to even admit you see facts that are presented to you. Not to mention attempting to dismiss facts as opinions because you have no other argument but to run from them.

Gunny, WHAT FACT HAVE YOU PRESENTED TO ME????

That's fine. I have not seen one fact on this thread that you posted in a response to anything I've said.

Forum List

Back