New pup

He was not the runt, he's the second smallest of the litter...so far no health issues at all.

St. Bernard s are not prone to health issues much are they ? Second smallest ? that mean his finished weight will be 135 instead 140 ! I am just now considering a dog since my neighbors killed mine. I am considering a St. Bernard as a big dog option, and a french bull dog as a small dog option. I looked at some Pit Bulls at a few rescues, and may get another. Just haven't decided yet.

Lol..saints actually have quite a few health issues and a short lifespan, 8 years is generally about it. They are prone to heart and joint issues as well..and bloat, which can be fatal and usually is, eventually, if a dog has a tendency to it.

How did your neighbors kill your dog? Saints are super friendly ambassadors..they never met a stranger...and they aren't fighters; Klaus is a big goof around other dogs, who often freak out just because he's big, but he never reacts in an aggressive or scared way, he doesn't even really register threats from other dogs. His best friend is my son's pit bull, who has no male dog friends..except Klaus.

He was not the runt, he's the second smallest of the litter...so far no health issues at all.

St. Bernard s are not prone to health issues much are they ? Second smallest ? that mean his finished weight will be 135 instead 140 ! I am just now considering a dog since my neighbors killed mine. I am considering a St. Bernard as a big dog option, and a french bull dog as a small dog option. I looked at some Pit Bulls at a few rescues, and may get another. Just haven't decided yet.

Lol..saints actually have quite a few health issues and a short lifespan, 8 years is generally about it. They are prone to heart and joint issues as well..and bloat, which can be fatal and usually is, eventually, if a dog has a tendency to it.

How did your neighbors kill your dog? Saints are super friendly ambassadors..they never met a stranger...and they aren't fighters; Klaus is a big goof around other dogs, who often freak out just because he's big, but he never reacts in an aggressive or scared way, he doesn't even really register threats from other dogs. His best friend is my son's pit bull, who has no male dog friends..except Klaus.

They threw Decon sticks to him. it took him about three days to get sick from it. they morons bragged about it all over the neighbor hood. I spent three months in jail over it and carry an arrest record for aggravated assault and battery for beating his ass over it. he was sent back to Mexico as he was illegal and his wife was sent to Huntsville for manufacturing meth. It was a mess. We had to put him to sleep because to much damage was done. The Vet thought he ate about two whole sticks. We found part of one. No one in the house got any charges for killing the dog, but the dirt bag will remember me for the rest of his life. Still yanks a tear when I think about it.

Holy toledo! You should write a story and send it to the New Yorker!

Saints are fairly high maintenance as far as health. They have to be brushed, they are highly sensitive to heat, they HAVE to have exercise, or they lose (or never gain adequate) mobility, and they are very, very dependent upon humans for companionship. They can't be kept separate from the family...I leave mine in the yard while I'm at work, but when I'm home or when we go anywhere, he comes with us. That means when he's muddy, we deal with it (lots of towels, lots of brushes)....

198in.jpg

By alliebaba at 2011-07-08

Love the pics and this thread. I think you will have an absolutely amazing St. Bernard when he is grown up. Congratulations.

Well he has learned to steal food off the stove and has commandeered the couch....

We're working on prolonged stay/lay...each night when we get ready to settle down I sit him and down him, and he has to stay there for a good long time. When I release him, he's ready for bed...

070se.jpg

Forum List

Back