New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign

KarlMarx said:
LINK

Ya' know, I'm starting to like this guy already! :)

So do I, but the honeymoon for him will soon be over if it isn't already...

For America's Divided Roman Catholics, a New Disagreement
By DEAN E. MURPHY

Published: April 20, 2005

AN FRANCISCO, April 19 - Roman Catholics poured into cathedrals and parish churches across the United States on Tuesday to celebrate Masses of Thanksgiving for the new pope, Benedict XVI, but the choice of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger as pope prompted strong disagreement over what he would mean for the American church.

Some liberal Catholics and interest groups criticized the choice as a lost opportunity to move the church in a less doctrinaire direction because the new pope, a conservative German who was close to the late John Paul II, has long held hard-line positions on many divisive issues, including birth control, homosexuality and the ordination of women. He has also suggested that a vote for a politician who supports abortion rights could be sinful, and that American bishops should deny such politicians Holy Communion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/20/i...age&adxnnlx=1114009411-N5GpepS/ou/rpQjH72JirA

Some liberal Catholics and interest groups criticized the choice as a lost opportunity to move the church in a less doctrinaire direction

See? I just don't GET that...People want the church to move away from it's FOUNDATIONS? wow...

Bonnie said:
Makes them feel better about their sins I guess? :dunno:

Indeed - we see evidence in how children are raised today. We see schools full of kids who value 'what they want' more than 'the rules'. Parents don't Scold their children because "their children might FEEL bad...". It's an epidemic. :(

-=d=- said:
Indeed - we see evidence in how children are raised today. We see schools full of kids who value 'what they want' more than 'the rules'. Parents don't Scold their children because "their children might FEEL bad...". It's an epidemic. :(

Frankly people are going to do what they want to do anyway without the permission of the church, so it has to be a matter of wanting a seal of approval which is meaningless if it's not based on Christs teachings.

I think what many fail to realize is a priest who leads people astray from the true teachings are first not doing followers any favors and second they themselves will be held very accountable to God because they are in positions of leadership placed there by Christ, when they take their solemn oath to represent Christ on earth.

SAN FRANCISCO, April 19 - Roman Catholics poured into cathedrals and parish churches across the United States on Tuesday to celebrate Masses of Thanksgiving for the new pope, Benedict XVI, but the choice of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger as pope prompted strong disagreement over what he would mean for the American church.

Some liberal Catholics and interest groups criticized the choice as a lost opportunity to move the church in a less doctrinaire direction because the new pope, a conservative German who was close to the late John Paul II, has long held hard-line positions on many divisive issues, including birth control, homosexuality and the ordination of women. He has also suggested that a vote for a politician who supports abortion rights could be sinful, and that American bishops should deny such politicians Holy Communion.

to rubber stamp their sin de jure.. They are selfish, immoral, and will not follow Church doctrine.. Why not just become Episcopal? Heck they've got a gay Bishop and just love gays and lesbians.. To me it seems extremely xenophobic for American Catholics to think they can dictate to the rest of Catholcism worldwide what the Church's doctrine should be.. Whiney, sinning,selfish, liberals. What the hell else is new?

Forum List

Back