New party

opewon

Feb 1, 2004
Indiana
I look to see a new party emerge in the next 5 or ten years....I know there is a lot of money and interests in our 2 party system right now but I also see more and more independents out there just waiting to stand up and say enough is enough....any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by opewon
I look to see a new party emerge in the next 5 or ten years....I know there is a lot of money and interests in our 2 party system right now but I also see more and more independents out there just waiting to stand up and say enough is enough....any thoughts on this?

There are MANY parties already.

Parties don't really exist any more anyway....

I think it will be way too hard to get any viable new party off the ground. Special interests own the system now.....

A quote from Fareed Zakaria's book, "The Future of Freedom":

In December 2000, a few days after the Florida recount battles had ended, I asked George Stephanopoulos, the broadcast journalist and former political strategist, whether he thought the Democratic Party would nominate former vice president Al Gore to run for president in 2004....Stephanopoulos's answer was clarifying: "There is no Democratic Party", he said, "If Gore wants to run, he has to raise the money, get good publicity, and move up in the polls, which will get him more money and better press. What party elders think is irrelevant because there is no party anymore. Those who style themselves as 'elders' are just old pols looking for something to do."

There are MANY parties already.

I know there are other parties out there but there are many more who are riding the fence just searching for a party that will stand up and say enough.....

The new parties need to do some PR. Then they need to go win some LOCAL races. It does no good for a third party to have a Presidential candidate when they can't even elect a dog catcher. If I were starting a thrid party, I'd start at the local (grassroot) level and work up.

Originally posted by opewon

Only if one of the two viable parties collapse.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
The new parties need to do some PR. Then they need to go win some LOCAL races. It does no good for a third party to have a Presidential candidate when they can't even elect a dog catcher. If I were starting a thrid party, I'd start at the local (grassroot) level and work up.

Thats Venturas exact idea. Too bad he never followed through with it. I didnt agree with all his ideas, but they way he voiced his disgust at the 2 party system and his plan for making a 3rd party work was a good one. Start at the bottom and spread.

The conservative superparty, "The Guns And Taxes Party". They keep taxes low and you can have all the guns and ammo you want. This unites the Buchananite protectionist jew haters and the neocon globalization jew lovers. And DK. Unbeatable.

Originally posted by gop_jeff

Like the Greens and Independents.

Originally posted by gop_jeff : The new parties need to do some PR. Then they need to go win some LOCAL races. It does no good for a third party to have a Presidential candidate when they can't even elect a dog catcher. If I were starting a thrid party, I'd start at the local (grassroot) level and work up.
Originally posted by nycflasher
Like the Greens and Independents.

In Harry Turtledoves latest series of books, American Empire, he describes the rise to power of the freedom party. It goes just like you said, from one town, to the county, to the state. then it makes an alliance with another party and absorbs them. IN the course of the books, he shows how it spreads (kinda like plague) to actually rule over his version of the south.

I think that in order to do that here, you need a party that attracts the dissaffected and pissed off. His party went after the loser veterans in the second civil war. But, no matter how much racial garbage we spout I don't think we have a single group that pissed off to energize a third party.

I remember hoping the reform party would make a real go of it. Ah the folly of youth.

There never has been, and there likely never will be a viable third party.

The two-party system is as old as the country, and is a result of our system of checks-and-balances with power divided between an Executive and Legislative branch instead of a parliamentary system.

The Republicans and the Federalists; 2 viable parties

The Federalists dissolve and the Republicans split in two; the Democratic Republicans and the National Republicans; 2 viable parties

Dissenters from the National Republicans form a third-party, it isn't viable (7 electoral votes), but it does lead to a total Democratic Republican (shortened to Democrats) victory; the National Republican party dissolves, the Whig party is formed;Whigs and Democrats; 2 viable parties

Free Soilers appear, but are not a viable party.

The Know-Nothings, later the American party, siphons off some Democrats and many of the now defunct Whig party; Democrats and American party; 2 viable parties

The American party weakens, most join the Republican party (a Whig and Free Soilers union party); Republicans and Democrats; 2 viable parties

Democrats split into Northern and Southern factions rendering both impotent; Republicans win presidency

Democrats reform; Democrats and Republicans; 2 viable parties

The Populist party shows up, steals some votes from the Democrats, Republicans win; is later absorbed back into the Democratic party

TR, running on the Progressive (Bull Moose) party ticket, after being defeated for the Republican nomination, does much better than the Republican nominee; the split in the Republican party make it non-viable; Progressive and Democrats; 2 viable parties

The Reform party shows up, steals some votes from the Republicans, Democrats win; is later mostly abosrbed back into the Republican party

Whenever a third party has come to prominence, it has either become in reality the second (or other) party, however briefly, or it has merely served to put into office the party most removed from its own platform by making both it and the other main party it split from utterly impotent.

So, as I said earlier, the only way there will be a 'new party' is if one of the two viable parties we have now disappears.

Originally posted by Zhukov
There never has been, and there likely never will be a viable third party.

The two-party system is as old as the country, and is a result of our system of checks-and-balances with power divided between an Executive and Legislative branch instead of a parliamentary system.

The Republicans and the Federalists; 2 viable parties

The Federalists dissolve and the Republicans split in two; the Democratic Republicans and the National Republicans; 2 viable parties

Dissenters from the National Republicans form a third-party, it isn't viable (7 electoral votes), but it does lead to a total Democratic Republican (shortened to Democrats) victory; the National Republican party dissolves, the Whig party is formed;Whigs and Democrats; 2 viable parties

Free Soilers appear, but are not a viable party.

The Know-Nothings, later the American party, siphons off some Democrats and many of the now defunct Whig party; Democrats and American party; 2 viable parties

The American party weakens, most join the Republican party (a Whig and Free Soilers union party); Republicans and Democrats; 2 viable parties

Democrats split into Northern and Southern factions rendering both impotent; Republicans win presidency

Democrats reform; Democrats and Republicans; 2 viable parties

The Populist party shows up, steals some votes from the Democrats, Republicans win; is later absorbed back into the Democratic party

TR, running on the Progressive (Bull Moose) party ticket, after being defeated for the Republican nomination, does much better than the Republican nominee; the split in the Republican party make it non-viable; Progressive and Democrats; 2 viable parties

The Reform party shows up, steals some votes from the Republicans, Democrats win; is later mostly abosrbed back into the Republican party

Whenever a third party has come to prominence, it has either become in reality the second (or other) party, however briefly, or it has merely served to put into office the party most removed from its own platform by making both it and the other main party it split from utterly impotent.

So, as I said earlier, the only way there will be a 'new party' is if one of the two viable parties we have now disappears.

The dems will be gone soon. The republicans will split along social/religious issues. Being against america is no longer a viable meme for democrats to win on.

Forum List

Back