New Orleans hurricane

Will there be riots?
My guess Is yes
Any takers?

The images of Sean Penn dragging a sunken rubber raft with a 12 gauge was priceless.

Probably not though, A few looters were shot by locals. I am sure they would do it again.........

No, and there weren't any during or after Katrina.

Dear, I love you, but seriously.....
What riots are you talking about?

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, looting, violence and other criminal activity became serious problems. With most of the attention of the authorities focused on rescue efforts, public security in New Orleans degraded quickly. By August 30, looting had spread throughout the city, often in broad daylight and in the presence of police officers.
"The looting is out of control. The French Quarter has been attacked," City Councilwoman Jackie Clarkson said. "We're using exhausted, scarce police to control looting when they should be used for search and rescue while we still have people on rooftops."[42]
Incapacitated by the breakdown of transportation and communication, as well as overwhelmed numerically, police officers could do little to stop crime, and shopkeepers who remained behind were left to defend their property alone.[43] Looters included gangs of gunmen,[44] and gunfire was heard in parts of the city. Along with violent, armed robbery of non-essential valuable goods,[45] many incidents were of residents simply taking food, water, and other commodities from unstaffed grocery stores.[45] There were also reports of some police officers looting.[44] Significant looting continued in areas of the city with few, if any permanent residents, such as the Lakeview, Gentilly, and the Midcity regions.[46]
"Sniper fire" was also reported throughout the city, targeted at rescue helicopters, relief workers, and police officers.
Looting and "mayhem" was also hampering efforts to evacuate the Tulane Medical Center, as well. "If we do not have the federal presence in New Orleans tonight at dark, it will no longer be safe to be there, hospital or no hospital,"[47] Acadian Ambulance Services C.E.O. Richard Zuschlag told CNN on August 31. Several news sources reported instances of fighting, drug use, theft, rape, and murder in the Superdome and other refuge centers.[48]
Some initial reports of mass chaos, particularly in stories about the Superdome, were later found to be exaggerated or rumor.[46] In the Superdome for example, the New Orleans sex crimes unit investigated every report of rape or atrocity and found only two verifiable incidents, both of sexual assault. The department head told reporters, "I think it was urban myth. Any time you put 25,000 people under one roof, with no running water, no electricity and no information, stories get told." Based on these reports, government officials expected hundreds of dead to be found in the Superdome, but instead found only 6 dead (of which there were 4 natural deaths, one drug overdose and one suicide).[49][50] In a case of reported sniper fire, the "sniper" turned out to be the relief valve of a gas tank popping every few minutes.[46]
At the time of the hurricane there were some 400 priests and 750 nuns in the Archdiocese of New Orleans, many stationed in the city. While most elderly and infirm clergy and nuns were evacuated, many others refused to leave, even when a general evacuation was ordered.

A Lincoln Town Car disabled by the flooding from Katrina.
Additional acts of unrest occurred following the storm, particularly with the New Orleans Police Department. In the aftermath, a tourist asked a police officer for assistance, and got the response, "Go to hell, it's every man for himself."[51] Also, one-third of New Orleans police officers deserted the city in the days before the storm, many of them escaping in their department-owned patrol cars. This added to the chaos by stretching law enforcement thin.[52] Additionally, several NOPD officers were arrested weeks after Katrina for suspicion of vehicle theft.[53]

wonder if the cops will loot Walmart again this time around. NO is so corupt its is not funny. As a teen I used to work in a deli. The cops would come in and get a sandwich and the stories I heard of them talking among each other. Knowing the beat the crap out of people for no reason and laughing about and then arresting the innocent people. These were black and white cops and they were arresting and doing it to both so I dont think it was racial. They were nice to me because I always gave them extra on their sandwiches and they would hang out at the store at closing time so I never feared of getting robbed. It was small shop and only 2 girls ( both teens) closed the store...

Heard another levee broke...
:omg:
... thought dey fixed dat after Katrina.
:eusa_shifty:
Hurricane Isaac storm surge tops levee in Plaquemines Parish
29 Aug.`12A storm surge from Hurricane Isaac topped a levee in Plaquemines Parish south of New Orleans early Wednesday, officials said, trapping those who chose not to evacuate.
Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said the 18-mile-long, 8-foot-high levee—which is not part of the nearly $15 billion federal levee system constructed after Hurricane Katrina—was in the process of being raised. "We knew we had a potential storm surge of 9 to 12 feet—we had an 8-foot levee," Nungesser said on CNN. "We're trying to get the few people who have stayed out. We've got a serious situation over there."

Isaac made landfall at 6:45 p.m. CT Tuesday in Plaquemines Parish, and the slow-moving Category 1 hurricane—now centered about 50 miles southwest of New Orleans with maximum sustained winds topping 80 mph—is expected to dump as much as 20 inches of rain in several parts of Louisiana. "Not only did we see the worst-case scenario, it got worse than that by this storm just stalling," Nungesser said. "So the levees can only take so much." Nungesser said there were reports of up to 12 feet of water in some homes. "This is something I've never seen before," he said. "And I rode out Katrina."

Nungesser said three parish residents, including a woman on a roof, were saved by a private boat. Rescue workers were waiting for conditions to improve—and skies to lighten—before attempting other rescues. "We're working with the U.S. Coast Guard to rescue people stranded on top of the levee," Nungesser said at a press conference. The southern end of the parish was under a mandatory evacuation order, though it's not clear how many residents followed it. "There are homes inundated and some folks trapped by water in those homes," Guy Laigast, director of homeland security for Plaquemines Parish, told the Weather Channel.

"Over 150 people have had to be rescued from #Isaac flooding," CNN's Rob Marciano tweeted. "The majority were within mandatory evacuation zones." According to News Orleans' Times-Picayune, Jesse Schaffer and his son have been rescuing stranded residents with their boat. "We've rescued at least 23 people including children," Jesse Shaffer Jr. said. The Army Corps of Engineers said the New Orleans levee protection system appeared to be working. Meanwhile, more than 500,000 customers were left without power in Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi, utility companies said. According to The Associated Press, most of the outages are in areas around New Orleans. A tornado warning has also been issued in southern Mississippi.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/hurricane-isaac-plaquemines-parish-124906826.html

Last edited:
Oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico have been shut down till Isaac passes...
:eusa_shifty:
Isaac brings higher gas prices, south and north
August 29, 2012 – Drivers are being hit with the biggest one-day jump in gasoline prices in 18 months just as the last heavy driving weekend of the summer approaches.
As Hurricane Isaac swamps the nation's oil and gas hub along the Gulf Coast, it's delivering sharply higher pump prices to storm-battered residents of Louisiana and Mississippi — and also to unsuspecting drivers up north in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The national average price of a gallon of gas jumped almost five cents Wednesday to $3.80, the highest ever for this date. Prices are expected to continue to climb through Labor Day weekend, the end of the summer driving season. "The national average will keep ticking higher, and it's going to be noticeable," says Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst at Gasbuddy.com

The wide storm shut down several refineries along the Gulf Coast and others are operating at reduced rates. In all, about 1.3 million barrels per day of refining capacity is affected. So, it's no surprise that drivers in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida saw gas prices rise by a dime or more in the past week. But some states in the Midwest are suffering even more dramatic spikes. Ohio prices jumped 14 cents, Indiana prices soared 13 cents and Illinois prices jumped 10 cents on Wednesday alone according to the Oil Price Information Service. Days before Isaac is expected to douse those states with rain, the storm forced the shutdown of a pipeline that serves a number of Midwest refineries.

Drivers in the region were angry and confused. "''I saw gas in my neighborhood for $3.56 a gallon just Tuesday morning, and now I'm paying $3.95. It's terrible," said Mary Allen of Cincinnati as she paid $20 for just over five gallons of gas. She wondered how Isaac could drive up gas prices in Ohio — and then resigned herself to a holiday weekend without travel. The price surge is happening at the wrong time and the wrong place for Dickson Stewart, a 56-year-old electronics consultant, who is driving from Minneapolis to Savannah, Ga. this week. He stopped at a BP station in downtown Chicago Tuesday — home to some of the highest retail prices in the country — and paid $4.49 a gallon to fill up his Jeep Wrangler.

Stewart expects gas prices to fall after Labor Day. Analysts say he's probably right. As Isaac fades away, the summer driving season ends, and refiners switch to cheaper winter blends of gasoline, stations owners should start dropping prices. "There is some very good relief in sight," DeHaan says.

MORE

people of all colors are more than willing to prey on others and the situations.....a lot of white people made money pretending to have been in the towers..

why is it when white people go into stores and take stuff after a disaster ...its survival

when blacks do it...it is looting.....and now rioting....the semantics of ignorance

Forum List

Back