New Orleans Bound

Well, been here since we got in Fri. nite, midnite. Sat., went to Bourbon St., mid to late afternoon, and before sundown, IT WAS/IS a white-trash (BTW, I'm white) southern drunken hell (a 3 day music festival, geared towards young-uns was in progress). But, in defense of young-uns, the only vomit spewin' guy I saw was being tended to by his wife in the mens' room of an upscale restauraunt on Bourbon St. that I had the mis-fortune to walk into (da' drunk was around my age, 50's to 60's). Sunday, took a swamp/plantation tour from a local outfitter (not, Grayline!) that was informative and a worth every penny. Today, we went to the WWII Nat'l Musuem and it was very, very good. Just got back from dinner at Commander's Palace, and hands down, it beat 90% of the upscale restauraunts in Vegas (where we live) for service and food!!! Obviously, R.C. Christian didn't see his first dead bodies anywheres near there!
Later.........Kidd

Did we or did we not tell you it was drunken hell? :lol:

im glad you are having a good time :thup:

If the weather cooperates, a boat ride on the river is always a decent way to spend an afternoon.

Don't tour the Pooper Dome. It's kinda cool, but you'll just waste your money on a trivia lesson.

Wife an' I are well travelled. Took pictures of the P-Dome from the top deck of the hotel we are stayin' at, and that'll suffice. Am an Eagles fan anyways who has to note that Saints fans were aghast that the 'aint's' lost to the Jets yesterday!
Who dat....who dat.......??? :lol:

Don't tour the Pooper Dome. It's kinda cool, but you'll just waste your money on a trivia lesson.

Wife an' I are well travelled. Took pictures of the P-Dome from the top deck of the hotel we are stayin' at, and that'll suffice. Am an Eagles fan anyways who has to note that Saints fans were aghast that the 'aint's' lost to the Jets yesterday!

ok... so the quarter did NOT flood....

all of those idiots could have freaking WALKED out of the dome a few blocks up to the quarter......

am i wrong?

Well, been here since we got in Fri. nite, midnite. Sat., went to Bourbon St., mid to late afternoon, and before sundown, IT WAS/IS a white-trash (BTW, I'm white) southern drunken hell (a 3 day music festival, geared towards young-uns was in progress). But, in defense of young-uns, the only vomit spewin' guy I saw was being tended to by his wife in the mens' room of an upscale restauraunt on Bourbon St. that I had the mis-fortune to walk into (da' drunk was around my age, 50's to 60's). Sunday, took a swamp/plantation tour from a local outfitter (not, Grayline!) that was informative and a worth every penny. Today, we went to the WWII Nat'l Musuem and it was very, very good. Just got back from dinner at Commander's Palace, and hands down, it beat 90% of the upscale restauraunts in Vegas (where we live) for service and food!!! Obviously, R.C. Christian didn't see his first dead bodies anywheres near there!
Later.........Kidd

Thanx.

Keep the bracelet (in your avie); I like it. :wink_2:

all of those idiots could have freaking WALKED out of the dome a few blocks up to the quarter......

am i wrong?

It's more than a few blocks, but the Stupordome wasn't particularly flooded, so there wouldn't have been much to gain by walking there, plus communication at the time was virtually nil, so they wouldn't have known in real time where they could go or what for. In the moment they prolly had no idea what to do, whether to stay and wait, or what. There was, famously, nobody taking charge.

Flooding areas varied widely depending not so much on elevation as on how close a given area was to one of the seven levee breaks. My own street got just two feet of water, while the neighborhood where I rented storage space took eight feet and submerged everything. One couple of my acquaintance in that area resolved to stay home through it, went to bed and woke up to find themselves floating in bed. They had to be rescued off the roof by helicopter. And when the water came, it came fast - I was 150 miles away upriver in Mississippi staying up all night listening to the radio, and heard the first call-in report of the onrushing deluge. He described how he could hear his neighbor calling for help. And this was the middle of the night, with no light, no power, no phones, no first responders, no nothing.

But uh, to return to topic, have fun down there BK! :D

I 've heard many a story already from locals whom lost everything, and I DO mean everything, down to their keepsake pictures, no less their houses; and how FEMA screwed them cuz they lived jus' outside the New Orleans City Limits.

I 've heard many a story already from locals whom lost everything, and I DO mean everything, down to their keepsake pictures, no less their houses; and how FEMA screwed them cuz they lived jus' outside the New Orleans City Limits.

FEMA aid wasn't limited to the city limits. There's no reason they should have missed out. :dunno:

The storm actually centred east of the city -- Slidell got hit hard, so did the MS coast. They got FEMA.

am i wrong?

It's more than a few blocks, but the Stupordome wasn't particularly flooded, so there wouldn't have been much to gain by walking there, plus communication at the time was virtually nil, so they wouldn't have known in real time where they could go or what for. In the moment they prolly had no idea what to do, whether to stay and wait, or what. There was, famously, nobody taking charge.

Flooding areas varied widely depending not so much on elevation as on how close a given area was to one of the seven levee breaks. My own street got just two feet of water, while the neighborhood where I rented storage space took eight feet and submerged everything. One couple of my acquaintance in that area resolved to stay home through it, went to bed and woke up to find themselves floating in bed. They had to be rescued off the roof by helicopter. And when the water came, it came fast - I was 150 miles away upriver in Mississippi staying up all night listening to the radio, and heard the first call-in report of the onrushing deluge. He described how he could hear his neighbor calling for help. And this was the middle of the night, with no light, no power, no phones, no first responders, no nothing.

do you still live in NO?

am i wrong?

do you still live in NO?

No, I didn't return -- didn't return to live that is, but have been back a lot to work and socialize. I'm now in "Carolinia Agresticia -- the forest primeval" :D

Last edited:
Later.........Kidd

Thanx.

Keep the bracelet (in your avie); I like it. :wink_2:

Bracelet? Hehehe -- I didn't even notice the arm. :redface:

FEMA aid wasn't limited to the city limits. There's no reason they should have missed out. :dunno:

The storm actually centred east of the city -- Slidell got hit hard, so did the MS coast. They got FEMA.

It boiled down to pinhead-bueracratic-paperwork-drawn-out-hell, that some I spoke to just didn't want to deal with.

Update for today: Woke up (an' that was a good thing), caught the trolley to Canal St. and visited the Audubon Society Insectorium and Butterfly Museum. Was surprised to see that the 'Insectorium' WAS NOT an asylum for deranged Democrats, but datz another story. Musuem was top-notch. Walked down to the Cafe Du Monde for those french powdered donuts that aren't any good for you, but are de-licious. Caught the French Market which was just okay, then had a few drinks before catching our 5:30 dinner reservations at G.W. Fins (basically, just known as Fins, here). They change the menu daily there, but had the best scallop dinner I ever had (wood-fired over a mushroom sauce risotto).
Once again, didn't see no dead bodies, but R.C. Christian must've hung down here, where I don't.

first tip.... anything off the tourist paths are pretty damn rough....

Anything? That's not even true. GUess it depends on how far you stretch the definition of "tourist path" but if you mean anything outside the quarter you're way off. Uptown is full of great places as is the Marigny.

am i wrong?
Uhh - and done WHAT exactly? Miss the National Guard when they finally show up at the Dome?

Its good that you are going to the tour but i think tour is one of the best thing in the world which give to you opportunity to relax your mind..

New Topics

Forum List

Back