New Obama Attack: Romney Paid Too Much In Taxes On Purpose. How Evil!!!!

Calling it illegal is stupid.

Saying he was slippery with his numbers is accurate however.

Explain CAREFULLY how paying more then you have to is a bad thing? You are aware that citizens can give money to the Government through several means. I believe you can even ear mark donations for specific programs or general fund.

I am not quit grasping how allowing yourself to pay more then absolutely required is " Slippery".

It's not bad, however for Mitt it is disingenuous. IF he had released, say 5 years of returns, and they showed he consistently paid more, well most people( obviously not partisan hacks) would be commenting how generous he is.

However what he did was swear he never pays less than 13%, then when people started demanding to see more returns, he releases one where he has purposefully not claimed an obvious deduction so that his tax rate wouldn't fall below the magic number.

That was an interesting rationale......and also total pond-scum.

Fact is they don't care what he does because the point is to destroy him, not be honest.

I think it's pretty clear that if he had released 20 returns they would have found something wrong with that too.

imagesizer
robert-gibbs.jpg

I've seen this ridiculous charge being made at MSNBC earlier this week and now this morning on Fox News with Chris Matthews by Obama spokesperson Robert Gibbs.

He actually tried to attach negative connotations to Mitt intentionally paying more taxes than he should have. I guess I've seen just about everything. I think it has become crystal clear that it doesn't really matter what Romney does.....the overactive minds of Obama's brain-trust will simply talk smack about it.

I don't expect the Obama campaign to be honest but this is just one more example of how they twist the truth and turn something positive into something negative.

This is how they claimed that the attacks on our embassies weren't Obama's fault. It wasn't lax security that allowed protesters to invade our embassies. Nope. The whole focus needs to be on Romney shooting before aiming. Obama has had a terrible two weeks and all the press says is that Romney has had a bad two weeks and he's going down in flames. Last night I heard this on Saturday Night Live. If the liberals on SNL didn't have the GOP to make fun I think they would run out of material.

So the major push now that most of Obama's attacks have petered out is that Romney, they claim, said he should be disqualified. What he actually said was this:

"I don't pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due I don't think I'd be qualified to become president."

Now look at this. Did Romney break the law to ignore some of his deductions????

No.

So essentially, what Romney said still stands and fact is he did not break the law to pay more as is being accused. The key word is legally. We all have the legal right to ignore deductions to boost our tax liabilities. However MSNBC and the Obama campaign are claiming Romney doesn't.

Links

Romney pays more taxes than 'legally due,' disqualifies himself to be president - The Ed Show

The key word is legally.

If you do your taxes and calculate that by law you owe $10,000, that is the amount that is LEGALLY DUE.

If you choose to eliminate a deduction, or part of a deduction, so that your tax bill is increased to, say, $15,000,

you have chosen to pay more than was LEGALLY DUE. That's what Romney did, and that's what Romney originally said would disqualify him from being president.

I took a course from H&R Block on tax preparation. I prepared my own taxes for 30 plus years.

Deductions are totally voluntary. They are not mandated. Paying less than you deserve is illegal, not more.

Epic fail :eusa_whistle:

And it is not always clear that you can take a deduction. I know several people with tax attorneys who help them decide how much they might wind up in court and what fines they might pay...in short they push the system.

Others chose not to walk so close to the edge.

Romney didn't do anything any of you wouldn't do.

Um, yes he did.

I would never purposefully pay more taxes than I owed.

Many people pay more taxes than they legally owe. A business owner who has a very bad year with a sudden loss of income know that a radical departure from prior years will trigger an audit. Claiming higher income and paying a few hundred in taxes is cost effective against the cost and time of an audit.

Had Romney taken his charitable donations he would have reduced his taxes, the result is that democrats would be headlining that Romney lied to America when he said he paid 13% in taxes when he actually donated so much to charity that he only paid 9%.

How awesome... first it was Romney didn't pay enough, now he paid too much. Romney is making all his detractors look like asses.

He has released less than two complete years. The only complete return he released is a phony and he admitted that.

Mitt told his accounting firm to cook the books so he would look better to gullible rw voters. He'll file an amended return and hope no one notices. A lot like when he accidentally confessed to hiring illegals by saying he had to fire them because he's running for office.

The most amazing part of this is the excuse letter written by Price Waterhouse. Absolutely shameless and transparent but, as usual, the rw's are falling for it.

Meanwhile, he refuses to release even one tax return that he cannot cook and, sure nuff, rw's are falling for that too.

Romney didn't do anything any of you wouldn't do.

Um, yes he did.

I would never purposefully pay more taxes than I owed.

Many people pay more taxes than they legally owe. A business owner who has a very bad year with a sudden loss of income know that a radical departure from prior years will trigger an audit. Claiming higher income and paying a few hundred in taxes is cost effective against the cost and time of an audit.

Had Romney taken his charitable donations he would have reduced his taxes, the result is that democrats would be headlining that Romney lied to America when he said he paid 13% in taxes when he actually donated so much to charity that he only paid 9%.
Yeah. That's exactly what would have and should have happened.

This entire tax thing is romneys fault, IMO, obviously he knew he would be asked to release several years worth of returns. He could have been a leader on this issue and used his 9% rate to talk about tax reform. Instead hes on the defensive, swearing he doesn't pay less than 13% and then not taking deductions so that he wasn't exactly lying.

Forum List

Back