New Neg Rep Rule Extreme and Unfair...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's anywhere near disastrous - hyperbole.

But, IMO, it's beyond stupid. Not because of rep, but because it sends a clear message to the current whiners and would be whiners that whines work.

So, everyone should whine to staff - and whine a lot.

Who whined? :dunno:

names damn it, I want names!
One told me they did - so that's straight from the horse's mouth. That was a good laugh.

Ok, no names then, but how bout some details?

What exactly did s/he whine about?

I don't think it's anywhere near disastrous - hyperbole.

But, IMO, it's beyond stupid. Not because of rep, but because it sends a clear message to the current whiners and would be whiners that whines work.

So, everyone should whine to staff - and whine a lot.

I agree. That's exactly what happened at the previous board I posted on.

We had a handful of posters who weren't there to post real content and debate, and were there more to whine, snipe, and act like asshats than to debate and discuss. The board tended to police itself through rep. These asshats started whining because they were getting negged until the board's owner eventually gave in instead of leaving well enough alone and pretty much cut the balls off of the rep system against the wishes of the majority of the posters.

A lot of us left over that. I've lurked occasionally over there since my departure and that board is now deader than 4 o'clock. Now the same whiners are falling all over themselves suggesting changes to their forum layout, emailing old posters who left, and all sorts of stupid shit to try to draw posters in and revive the board, and they still haven't gotten it through their thick skulls that they killed it. One Mod understands what happened, but the board's owner and the rest of the staff aren't listening to him.

Don't do that to USMB. The rep system here was just fine the way it was.
IMO, it seems silly to leave a board because of rep. But, leaving a board because of staff mentality of appeasing whiners - yeah, that works.

Cuz appeasement has such an awesome historical track record.

I left because of the staff mentality.

Or lack thereof.

Its a message board. Write posts. Enjoy. Competitive bitching is not an Olympic sport yet.

i demand that the whining whiners be ignored. for the betterment of society and also, someone has to fight fascism!

I'd like to help, but I got a splinter in my index finger...

...its getting hot out too...

...might rain later...

Its a message board. Write posts. Enjoy. Competitive bitching is not an Olympic sport yet.

But when it is, we have some really stellar complaint athletes in the wings just waiting for a chance to carry their country to victory!

Mods/Admin, I think you've made a grave mistake in curtailing the number of "pos/neg reps" users can issue on a daily basis.

Although I've been known to be rather scornful of the whole concept in the past, I also realise that it's part of the life blood of this place, and a reduction in a user's rep allowance, be it positive or negative, could potentially drive people away from USMB... a forum that is truly unique to the internet.

However much some of us may deny it, we're all creatures of vanity, and welcome praise, in whatever form. A pat on the back for a post that all concerned know a lot of effort and/or insight went into crafting is an good way of acknowledging the author's hard work or committment. Reducing the number of pats on the back you can award will have a detrimental impact on USMB, and the amount of traffic that makes the place worth visiting and commenting on.

True, some will abuse the system. But until such a time passes that a build-up of neg rep handicaps or hinders your account, it's meaningless apart from the displeasure it conveys. Some will also remind us that less frequent pos reps will be of more value, but in the overall scheme of things I think that'll soon wear off.

I appreciate that it isn't my board, and have no sway in the final decision. But I know that the majority of users on here like receiving pos rep more than once a week, and I think in the long run it'll result in less traffic, depending on your committment, of course.

And that thoughtful post deserved 20% of my socialized allotment.

I wish that the whole rep system were abolished, and all our reps eliminated. I would prefer only a "thanks" or "no thanks" option, with which to award a good post.

i demand that the whining whiners be ignored. for the betterment of society and also, someone has to fight fascism!

I'd like to help, but I got a splinter in my index finger...

...its getting hot out too...

...might rain later...

that was wilt chamberlain's attitude at munich!

know your hystery!

Neville give in. Neville, Neville, Neville, in nothing, great or small, large or petty - Neville give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.

Let's face it folks. There ain't 5 post a day made to this board that DESERVE rep...positive OR negative. Unless it's for Athena's avatar. ;~0

Be honest. Reping someone because they said, in an aggressive manner, what you will say in polite company, is NOT legitimate. It's no more legitimate than negatively reping someone for a post that has OBVIOUSLY come echoing out of the bottom of a bottle of Jack Daniels!

Go after them on the thread and let them have it for stupid...SURE! But reping. What the hell purpose does it serve?

I personally try not to rep on the TONE of a post. Just the content. Heck, I try hard to resist the urge to hit the THANKS button for post I REALLY agree with IF it also contains something that is TOO off color or offensive. And I have NEVER neg reped anyone. At least on purpose. ;~)

I use rep as a way of sending a quick message to let someone know I thought something was insightful or funny. That's IT!

I don't begrudge the folks that enjoy that kind of thing, but be honest. There just ain't the much said on here that really deserves praise and using rep to condemn stupidity is an exercise in futility! ;~)

The stupid never learn, because they are...well, STUPID!

Mods/Admin, I think you've made a grave mistake in curtailing the number of "pos/neg reps" users can issue on a daily basis.

Although I've been known to be rather scornful of the whole concept in the past, I also realise that it's part of the life blood of this place, and a reduction in a user's rep allowance, be it positive or negative, could potentially drive people away from USMB... a forum that is truly unique to the internet.

However much some of us may deny it, we're all creatures of vanity, and welcome praise, in whatever form. A pat on the back for a post that all concerned know a lot of effort and/or insight went into crafting is an good way of acknowledging the author's hard work or committment. Reducing the number of pats on the back you can award will have a detrimental impact on USMB, and the amount of traffic that makes the place worth visiting and commenting on.

True, some will abuse the system. But until such a time passes that a build-up of neg rep handicaps or hinders your account, it's meaningless apart from the displeasure it conveys. Some will also remind us that less frequent pos reps will be of more value, but in the overall scheme of things I think that'll soon wear off.

I appreciate that it isn't my board, and have no sway in the final decision. But I know that the majority of users on here like receiving pos rep more than once a week, and I think in the long run it'll result in less traffic, depending on your committment, of course.

And that thoughtful post deserved 20% of my socialized allotment.

I wish that the whole rep system were abolished, and all our reps eliminated. I would prefer only a "thanks" or "no thanks" option, with which to award a good post.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back