New movies about Islam figures

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Qatari company comes with 150 million $ budget 3 part Mohammed film.
Qatari+Turkish company come with 50 million $ movie about Mehmet the Conqueror and 25 million $ for 30 parts TV series.
Both films in English.

The last movie about Mohammed was "The Messenger" with ?Quinn?.
It's decades old.
I would like to see more of such big-budget projects.

The Mohammed film is with the producer from Lord of the Rings and Apocalypsenow
Barrie M. Osborne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Qatar, Turkey filmmakers plan $75m Caliph biopic
Alnoor, Calinos team up for Mehmed II project - Entertainment News, International News, Media - Variety

In February 2012 will come another production about Mehmet into cinema.
The director says, that movie will be 170 minutes long and they already have 100 minutes shot. The missing 70 minutes is the siege of Constantinople, for which they are still seeking an appropriate location.

The 100 existing minutes have been shot in Ataköy (nearby Istanbul village), where the 'Housing Development Administration' (TOKI) has built the various sceneries of movie.

The movie music will come from Hans Zimmer (The Gladiator).

There are used about 2.500 costumes, which were designed by Canan Göknil. She is chief-costume designer of Istanbul Metropolitan Opera. And 3.500 metal armours.
The siege will consist of about 20.000 statist figures.

The film will be available in 8 languages.

The movie is shot with 4 parallel cameras, and the siege with 11 cameras for which Czech production studios are helping.

‘Fetih 1453’ Türkiye’nin en çok izlenen filmi olacak!

It would be nice to see the blight of Asia on film.

At the age of 21, Mehmet spoke 8 languages.
He has published one of the oldest documents on religious freedoms affecting Christians.
His decree regarding Franciscans living on Ottoman territory:

Mehmed II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I, the Sultan Khan the Conqueror,
hereby declare the whole world that,
The Bosnian Franciscans granted with this sultanate firman are under my protection. And I command that:
No one shall disturb or give harm to these people and their churches! They shall live in peace in my state. These people who have become emigrants, shall have security and liberty. They may return to their monasteries which are located in the borders of my state.
No one from my empire notable, viziers, clerks or my maids will break their honour or give any harm to them!
No one shall insult, put in danger or attack these lives, properties, and churches of these people!
Also, what and those these people have brought from their own countries have the same rights...
By declaring this firman, I swear on my sword by the holy name of Allah who has created the ground and sky, Allah's prophet Mohammed, and 124,000 former prophets that; no one from my citizens will react or behave the opposite of this firman!

Adhanema_Lasva.jpg

He has published one of the oldest documents on religious freedoms affecting Christians.

The Bosnian Franciscans granted with this sultanate firman are under my protection. And I command that:
No one shall disturb or give harm to these people and their churches! They shall live in peace in my state. These people who have become emigrants, shall have security and liberty. They may return to their monasteries which are located in the borders of my state.
No one from my empire notable, viziers, clerks or my maids will break their honour or give any harm to them!
No one shall insult, put in danger or attack these lives, properties, and churches of these people!
Also, what and those these people have brought from their own countries have the same rights...
By declaring this firman, I swear on my sword by the holy name of Allah who has created the ground and sky, Allah's prophet Mohammed, and 124,000 former prophets that; no one from my citizens will react or behave the opposite of this firman!

Adhanema_Lasva.jpg

Smart politician. I wonder what his political motives were, what were the inside and outside forces dictating this move on his part.

Adhanema_Lasva.jpg

How much was the jizyah?

Smart politician. I wonder what his political motives were, what were the inside and outside forces dictating this move on his part.

When he conquered Constantinople, he did not abolish the Orthodox Patriarchate.
Instead, he widened the Patriarchates authorities to something like a "grand duke" over all Orthodox believers in the Ottoman Empire.

This is what the Ecumenical Patriarchate's website says:
When Constantinople became the capital of the Ottoman Empire in 1453, the Ecumenical Patriarch (at the time, Gennadius II) was recognized as Ethnarch of the Orthodox peoples, with increased authority over the Eastern Patriarchates and the Balkan Churches, as well as farther afield.
From that time, the Ecumenical Patriarchate became a symbol of unity, rendering service and solidarity to the Eastern Churches. In difficult periods, the Ecumenical Patriarchate was consulted for the resolution of problems.
History | Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

Except under the Devsirme (conversion of young Christian boys to serve in the 4 imperial institutions), there was no forced proselytization.
The Patriarchate served as earthly authority for the Christians in the Empire.

Forum List

Back