New Movie Mocks CHRISTIAN FAITH...

Originally posted by Dan

And all theological discussion aside, I don't see this movie as misleading anybody or changing anyone's beliefs. It's just a teen comedy.

Agreed. The problem is simply that when anyone hears anything long enough, wether lie or truth, they begin to believe it.

That is the issue at hand. -It is a matter of biological pathways in the brain.

Also, from a business standpoint, I don't see MGM, one of the most notoriously non-controversial studios in the country, backing a movie that's just an all-out attack on Christianity. Second, I don't think Mandy Moore, a professed Christian, would act in the film if it was like that. And, finally, the movie is rated PG-13, and I think if it was filled with such controversy, it would've gotten an R rating, especially in the current atmosphere of government-sanctioned censorship.

The entertainment industry is predominantly anti-Christian.

The bigger problem is the blanket term "Christian", which now is acceptable to be used if 3 guys say they believe Christ existed and had a good point about loving one another.

A Christian is defined quite differently, but modern society doesn't know it anymore due to publicising falsities.

Hence the problem with this movie.

At the risk of having this thread moved:

The bible is clear that believers should rejoyce in the testing of their faith (hard times). Through those events faith is grown. Jesus himself told us "Give thanks that you are persecuted - for they first persecuted Me" and stuff.

I could cite references, if you'd like.

Nah, I believe you, that makes sense, it just wasn't clicking in my head at the moment.

The entertainment industry is predominantly anti-Christian.

I don't know that I'd say that. Do you define Jewish as "anti-Christian"?

But, really, the thing is, the majority of the American public ARE Christians, or claim to be, and that's all the studio's concerned with: not making a statement, not changing people's views. Making money. Bottom line.

Originally posted by Dan
Nah, I believe you, that makes sense, it just wasn't clicking in my head at the moment.

I don't know that I'd say that. Do you define Jewish as "anti-Christian"?

But, really, the thing is, the majority of the American public ARE Christians, or claim to be, and that's all the studio's concerned with: not making a statement, not changing people's views. Making money. Bottom line.

Can you remember the last time a Christian, on a film, wasn't portrayed as bumbling, incompetent, etc?

Nowadays, there's ALWAYS a gay character - they are 10X the number of Christians as homosexuals...yet That 1? percent of the population tends to be portrayed as the brilliant, artistic, GOOD character in a film, lest they offend.

I'm certain there is an anti-christian attitude growing in our society - and pro-homosexual. Doesn't surprise me; homosexuality is completely inconsistant with Christianity.

I'm a Christian and plan to see it. It's just a little fun, get over it.

Roger Ebert gave the movie 3 1/2 stars out of 4. A couple quotes from him:

"But having surprised us with its outspoken first act, it gets religion of its own sort in the second and third acts, arguing not against fundamentalism but against intolerance; it argues that Jesus would have embraced the cast-outs and the misfits, and might have leaned toward situational ethics instead of rigid morality. "

"By the end of the movie, mainstream Christian values have not been overthrown, but demonstrated and embraced. Those who think Christianity is just a matter of enforcing their rulebook have been, well, enlightened. And that all of this takes place in a sassy and smart teenage comedy is, well, a miracle."

Oh, and he notes that the scene the article mentioned where Jesus tells Mary to sleep with Dean was actually a vision she has as a result of hitting her head, and "Jesus" is actually the pool maintenance guy. So, rather than the movie saying "this is what Jesus would say", it seems like its saying "this is what this character would think Jesus would say".

I still wanna see it, shockingly it's not playing at my local theater. I figured it would be a smash down here in the Bible Belt.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
how can it mock the primary religion in the US and be politically correct? :rolleyes:

Because men, whites, and christians are afforded none of the modern social protections given to everyone else. It's politically correct to negatively judge christians.

Originally posted by -=d=-
Can you remember the last time a Christian, on a film, wasn't portrayed as bumbling, incompetent, etc?

Nowadays, there's ALWAYS a gay character - they are 10X the number of Christians as homosexuals...yet That 1? percent of the population tends to be portrayed as the brilliant, artistic, GOOD character in a film, lest they offend.

I'm certain there is an anti-christian attitude growing in our society - and pro-homosexual. Doesn't surprise me; homosexuality is completely inconsistant with Christianity.

I'm not sure if I'm making this connection correctly and I don't want to assume anything, so just correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that anti-christian attitude is growing because of homosexuals or because of people in general who have a pro-homosexual attitude?

Without answering for D, my opinion would be that if the Bible heavilly condemns homosexuality, and Biblical proponents go against the practice, then Christians are an easy group target to go against for that reason alone.

Since the "in thing" is homosexuality both in entertainment and politics, it works to assail the Christians. -Escpecially when the rest of the world, Canada and EU included, cannot stand religious "intolerance" and are influencing American law.

Good answer newguy.

Myself I won't see the movie. If for no other reason than I refuse to take my money and give it to someone else in support of something that I don't see as on the level.

Forum List

Back