New Movie Mocks CHRISTIAN FAITH...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Christian Film & Television CommissionTM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2510-G Las Posas Road, #502, Camarillo, CA 93010, (805) 383-2000

New Movie Mocks Christian Faith

Hollywood, Calif. - Ted Baehr, world-renowned media scholar and founder of the Christian Film & Television CommissionTM ministry, says the new Hollywood movie, SAVED!, to be released May 28 by MGM, is a sad, bigoted, anti-Christian movie that mocks the Christian faith.

He urged other religious leaders, including Jewish and Moslem leaders, to warn their constituents about the "bigoted" movie, which stars Mandy Moore and Macaulay Culkin in a story about self-righteous Christian youths, set in an uptight Christian school.

"SAVED! is a hateful, politically correct movie," Dr. Baehr declared. "The movie is being heavily marketed to the community it mocks to lead Christian youth astray and make them hate their faith."

"The one character who tries to preach the Gospel in the movie," he noted, "is actually the villain in the movie. The heroine, Mary, played by Jena Malone, is told in a vision by Jesus to fornicate with the school hunk in order to save him from homosexuality."

"At the end, Mary learns that her true friends are a rebellious Jewish girl who claims to have been a stripper and the villain's brother, who denies being a Christian and lusts after the so-called stripper."

Dr. Baehr asks, "Imagine if this movie were set in a Jewish school with the faithful Jewish children cast as the villains and the Christian as the heroine who exposes their legalism. Or, what if it were set in an Islamic school, with the faithful Muslims cast as the villains and a Jewish girl as the heroine?"

"The outcry in the press would be tremendous!"

"Just as it would be wrong to mock Jews and Muslims, so it is wrong to mock Christians and God."

http://www.movieguide.org/

i heard that it didn't and it was just satire. i also heard a funny line from the movie i'll paraphrase it. i don't know the names of the people the actors were portraying but it went like this:

(they notice a girl come out of planned parenthood)

guy: i can only think of one reason someone like her would be at a planned parenthood

girl: planting a pipebomb?

guy: ok maybe two

---------

:D

Truthfully, I haven't seen it, and I won't. I watched a review of it on TV, and it said pretty much the same thing as the article above states.

from what i've heard of it it goes after those preachers that go way over the top and are on like a rock star like trip. i won't see it in the theaters but i'll most likely catch it on hbo or starz when its on.

I actually really want to see this. From what I've heard, it pokes fun at extremist Christians and televangelists out for money, but that's about it. C'mon, do you really think Mandy Moore would do a movie that trashes Christianity? I think it looks really funny. Another funny line:

Mandy Moore (hurls a Bible at another girl's head): I am FILLED with Christ's love!!!

Originally posted by Dan
I actually really want to see this. From what I've heard, it pokes fun at extremist Christians and televangelists out for money, but that's about it. C'mon, do you really think Mandy Moore would do a movie that trashes Christianity? I think it looks really funny. Another funny line:

Mandy Moore (hurls a Bible at another girl's head): I am FILLED with Christ's love!!!

You make a point about TV evangelists. Hey, I hear that. Everytime I see these people I laugh. There was this woman on one of the Christian channels, HUGE boofant hair do colored some shade of pink, eye's and lips painted with some sort of house exterior latex, a tight dress with low front to show her clevage, and she was going on about something she was "talking to the Lord about, and crying HUGE crocodile tears". I thought to myself, if I WASN'T a Christian already, I'd think to myself, if this is the kind of people Christians are, what a bunch of FAKE ASS SONS A BITCHES!

They do give Christianity a bad name.

Just the idea alone makes it something I wouldn't want to see.

maybe some ppl are too uptight.

Jesus made fun of the 'established church' - he mocked them, by some accounts.

(shrug).

It's just a movie - if it affects your relative salvation you may have other, deeper issues.

I dunno.

:shrug:

how can it mock the primary religion in the US and be politically correct?

I never said it was politically correct, but I'll reply anyway.

I think there's a lot of difference between satirizing something (which is what I've heard "Saved!" does) and mocking it. It's a general belief that most satirists only satirize the things that they love. A good satire exaggerates the negative aspects of its subject while still showing it as a good thing. Of course, I'm sure there's a lot of people who will boycott it anyway, but I'd like to see it.

Originally posted by Dan
I never said it was politically correct, but I'll reply anyway.

I think there's a lot of difference between satirizing something (which is what I've heard "Saved!" does) and mocking it. It's a general belief that most satirists only satirize the things that they love. A good satire exaggerates the negative aspects of its subject while still showing it as a good thing. Of course, I'm sure there's a lot of people who will boycott it anyway, but I'd like to see it.

I feel those who boycott the movie will only spread it's appeal.

Misguided souls, imo.

Originally posted by -=d=-
maybe some ppl are too uptight.

Jesus made fun of the 'established church' - he mocked them, by some accounts.

(shrug).

It's just a movie - if it affects your relative salvation you may have other, deeper issues.

I dunno.

:shrug:

He did so in oder to point out the error in their ways and to correct them.

Would this fit in the same category?

Originally posted by NewGuy
He did so in oder to point out the error in their ways and to correct them.

Would this fit in the same category?

It might.

But actually, no...Christ didn't do that to correct 'them' - but to lend example to 'the people'.

This movie may paint an accurate picture of "Preachers"...and "religion" in america - which I'm sure you'd admit, is MOSTLY lip-service.

"Christian? Oh yeah...I am. I believe in God; was baptized as a Christian when I was 6 months old! sure!"

:-/

It might.

But actually, no...Christ didn't do that to correct 'them' - but to lend example to 'the people'.

This movie may paint an accurate picture of "Preachers"...and "religion" in america - which I'm sure you'd admit, is MOSTLY lip-service.

"Christian? Oh yeah...I am. I believe in God; was baptized as a Christian when I was 6 months old! sure!"

:-/

Considering the obvious outcome of such a thing is an advertisement for the masses about Christianity which would HAVE to be taken as fact by said masses, I would think it could only deteriorate the public image of us.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Considering the obvious outcome of such a thing is an advertisement for the masses about Christianity which would HAVE to be taken as fact by said masses, I would think it could only deteriorate the public image of us.

Why do Christians have that image? Because in our most visible 'leaders' it's apparent.

Give me $1M or God will Kill me!

Touch the screen, and then write me a check! God will heal you!

Don't say shit, damn, or fuck - those are sinful! As long as you say 'shoot', 'darn', or 'fudge'; even if the MEANING Is the SAME THING, you'll be okay, and 'not' sinning!

(sigh).

It's a GOOD thing when 'true christians' are persecuted...and mocked. Count those times as being blessed of God.

Why do Christians have that image? Because in our most visible 'leaders' it's apparent.

Give me $1M or God will Kill me!

Touch the screen, and then write me a check! God will heal you!

Don't say shit, damn, or fuck - those are sinful! As long as you say 'shoot', 'darn', or 'fudge'; even if the MEANING Is the SAME THING, you'll be okay, and 'not' sinning!

(sigh).

It's a GOOD thing when 'true christians' are persecuted...and mocked. Count those times as being blessed of God.

I am in total agreement, but I do not see misleading the masses and helping them mock as something He would approve of.

Could you elaborate a little on this for me? I don't really get how this would be good.

And all theological discussion aside, I don't see this movie as misleading anybody or changing anyone's beliefs. It's just a teen comedy.

Also, from a business standpoint, I don't see MGM, one of the most notoriously non-controversial studios in the country, backing a movie that's just an all-out attack on Christianity. Second, I don't think Mandy Moore, a professed Christian, would act in the film if it was like that. And, finally, the movie is rated PG-13, and I think if it was filled with such controversy, it would've gotten an R rating, especially in the current atmosphere of government-sanctioned censorship.

Originally posted by Dan
Could you elaborate a little on this for me? I don't really get how this would be good.

At the risk of having this thread moved:

The bible is clear that believers should rejoyce in the testing of their faith (hard times). Through those events faith is grown. Jesus himself told us "Give thanks that you are persecuted - for they first persecuted Me" and stuff.

I could cite references, if you'd like.

Forum List

Back