New Milky Way Photo

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
MILKY-WAY-STARS.jpg

The new picture, which was released today (March 28), combines infrared images of the Milky Way taken during sky surveys by two different instruments, the UK Infrared Telescope in Hawaii and the VISTA telescope in Chile. The photo is part of a 10-year project that is gathering mountains of data to help guide future research, scientists said.

"This incredible image gives us a new perspective of our galaxy, and illustrates the far-reaching discoveries we can make from large sky surveys," Nick Cross, of the University of Edinburgh, said in a statement. "Having data processed, archived and published by dedicated teams leaves other scientists free to concentrate on using the data, and is a very cost-effective way to do astronomy."

I don't want to rain on the parade, and I am viewing this on an I-Phone, but as an amateur astronomer I'm not seeing it. It doesn't reveal any of the complexity we know exists in our galaxy (aka Milky Way). The single great surprise that mapping the MW has given us is that ours is a barred spiral galaxy, and thus very different from the typical large spiral we are used to thinking of, and our neighbor M31-Andromeda that we've been led to think of as our larger sibling and twin. It just wasn't the case and ours is not just another average galaxy.

It's good to know the mapping continues and no doubt a lot is left to find out.

Good catch Jos.

It sure is beautiful.....a reminder that we are not as important as we think we are at the end of the day..:)

MILKY-WAY-STARS.jpg

The new picture, which was released today (March 28), combines infrared images of the Milky Way taken during sky surveys by two different instruments, the UK Infrared Telescope in Hawaii and the VISTA telescope in Chile. The photo is part of a 10-year project that is gathering mountains of data to help guide future research, scientists said.

"This incredible image gives us a new perspective of our galaxy, and illustrates the far-reaching discoveries we can make from large sky surveys," Nick Cross, of the University of Edinburgh, said in a statement. "Having data processed, archived and published by dedicated teams leaves other scientists free to concentrate on using the data, and is a very cost-effective way to do astronomy."

Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
:neutral:

Forum List

Back