New Mexico and the Min Wage.

AmyNation

Road Warrior
Aug 6, 2012
Currently stationed at the kitchen table
A new study just came out and apparently new Mexico has the worst income disparity of the nation. The top earners make 17 times what the bottom earners make.

The recommended solution? Increase min wage.

My 1st thought when I heard the story, how does that solve the problem? :confused:

They need to look at why there is such disparity. People expect low wages when they first enter the work force. Students usually make peanuts. But that should only be the start and the hope is that people will gradually work their way up. I read about a guy who took a job flipping hamburgers at McDonald's and worked his way up to manager and ended up with a tidy salary. Thing is, some people would still be flipping burgers 5 years later.

I wonder if most of those people are qualified for more than menial labor. What skills do they have? What is their level of education? I know some college grads have to settle for the unskilled jobs at first, but you expect to see those who are capable eventually move up.

CEOs make good money, but only because people spend their money on products and services and the company becomes a success. I always say the ones who do the spending are the ones who decide who makes it or not. People should be very chosey where they spend their hard earned dollars. Personally, I go out of my way to buy made in America items.

These studies are so incomplete. Giving just one symptom of a problem isn't going to lead to a solution. Raising the minimum isn't going to solve it, but leave it to most politicians to treat the symptom while the root of the problem grows.

It doesn't, them minimum wage will always be just that, the minimum. Raising it is inflationary and who are the ones who are hurt the most by inflation, can you say minimum wage earners? What good would it do if everyone made a million dollars a year, if a hamburger cost five hundred dollars? Labor is a commodity and the market determines its value, if you artifically raise the value of labor, you raise the cost of everything, which in the end benefits no one.

Republicans want to get rid of the minimum wage so we can compete with China. Hey, if you're against education, what's left?

Getting rid of the min wage, is a separate argument from continually increasing the min wage. As has been pointed out already, increasing the min wage does nothing but inflate prices. It doesn't address the issue of why they have so many workers earning so little.

Republicans want to get rid of the minimum wage so we can compete with China. Hey, if you're against education, what's left?

Sorry, your lame arguement won't fly, it's the dems that are the ones fighting school choice and your dear leader took away vouchers from families in DC so parents couldn't chose to send their kids to better schools. The US Dept of Ed has wasted almost 1.5 trillion over the last 32 years and all we have gotten is higher drop out rates and lower test scores. So shove your propaganda and get real.

Last edited:

Sorry, your lame arguement won't fly, it's the dems that are the ones fighting school choice and your dear leader took away vouchers from families in DC so parents couldn't chose to send their kids to better schools. The US Dept of Ed has wasted almost 1.5 trillion over the last 32 years and all we have gotten is higher drop out rates and lower test scores. So shove your propaganda and get real.

So you're answer is to end education. Got it.

Ran by Mexicans.

You want to talk about income inequality??? Look at a Mexican state like Mexico. They allow most of their population to starve.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDr4oQ7KyFw&feature=related]Lt Gov Andre Bauer: Don't Feed the Poor They'll Breed - YouTube[/ame]

So did Mexico take a page from the Republican playbook? Feed the poor and they will breed.

So you're answer is to end education. Got it.

No my answer is get the unions and feds out of education. They have fucked it up, history has proven that. If it ain't working stop doing it. Let parents make the decisions with LOCAL schools.

The demographics of New Mexico clearly shows that there is a huge disparity with the rest of the US. Do wealthier people have to pay so that income is more equalized? If so, the Mexican invasion of the border states will make far less attractive to anyone with significant means. It would also mean that it would become a far more attractive to the impoverished. What is to become of these states?
NM USA
Persons of Hispanic or Latino Origin, percent, 2011 (b) 46.7% 16.7%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2011 40.2% 63.4%

Forum List

Back