New Member to US Message Board

Blutogreg

Rookie
Jun 27, 2017
I'm a conservative, retired physician, and think the entire healthcare discussion is based upon a complete lack of knowledge about healthcare and health insurance. The only reason our government became involved is to get to a single payer system. Does any one in this debate understand what a single payer system is and what it does? Not a single media outlet talks or writes about it. Please help me understand.

Welcome. I'm one of the resident liberals, here to stick a prickly burr in conservatives' boots.

I'm a conservative, retired physician, and think the entire healthcare discussion is based upon a complete lack of knowledge about healthcare and health insurance. The only reason our government became involved is to get to a single payer system. Does any one in this debate understand what a single payer system is and what it does? Not a single media outlet talks or writes about it. Please help me understand.

Conservative but not republican here.

What? You want us to help you understand. I've been here over a year and still can't figure out why liberals think single payer is a panacea.

Here is what I'm am sure of- the toothpaste is out of the tube, and a few minor steps towards personal responsibility not withstanding, we are on a continuous path to single payer.

Best explanation for single payer healthcare.

What is Single Payer?
Single-payer national health insurance, also known as “Medicare for all,” is a system in which a single public or quasi-public agency organizes health care financing, but the delivery of care remains largely in private hands. Under a single-payer system, all residents of the U.S. would be covered for all medically necessary services, including doctor, hospital, preventive, long-term care, mental health, reproductive health care, dental, vision, prescription drug and medical supply costs.

The program would be funded by the savings obtained from replacing today’s inefficient, profit-oriented, multiple insurance payers with a single streamlined, nonprofit, public payer, and by modest new taxes based on ability to pay. Premiums would disappear; 95 percent of all households would save money. Patients would no longer face financial barriers to care such as co-pays and deductibles, and would regain free choice of doctor and hospital. Doctors would regain autonomy over patient care.

The Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act, H.R. 676, based on PNHP’s JAMA-published Physicians’ Proposal, would establish an American single-payer health insurance system.

Read more:

Best answer to 'What is Single Payer?'

^^^^^

covers mental health eh? (check).

Drugs, Dental, Vision? (check)

what is not to like? The $3.5T price tag? Put it on the debt........no one seems to worry about it?
Eliminate Medicare.....Medicaid...........combine VA? SS Disability?

Does it eliminate the CEO of Aetna? BCBS? Medical CEO Golden Parachute? Look out below. Boom!

^^^^^

what is not to like? The $3.5T price tag? Put it on the debt........no one seems to worry about it?

Does it eliminate the CEO of Aetna? BCBS? Medical CEO Golden Parachute? Look out below. Boom!

Deadbeats and the Free Shit generations would love single payer.

Taxpayers = I-don't-think-so.

^^^^^

A. Where does the 3.5T price tag come from?
B. How does CEOs getting already approved golden parachutes factor in anywhere?
:dunno:

^^^^^

$10K/year per person * 350mil persons == $3.5T

If no Medical Insurance companies.......do they close up shop? Where does the CEO go? Does he still get a Carly Fiorina multi-million dollar exit package since............not his fault? Of course he can't exist on Unemployment at $450/week max like Joe SixPack. They must empty the vault on the way out. Already approved by who? Board of Directors? They ALL sit on each others good-old-boy boards! Land O' Goshen I am becoming crazy Frank.

EDIT: hello Blutogreg welcome. Better wear your knife-proof earmuffs.........anger will boil.

Last edited:
^^^^^

If no Medical Insurance companies.......do they close up shop? Where does the CEO go? Does he still get a Carly Fiorina multi-million dollar exit package since............not his fault? Of course he can't exist on Unemployment at $450/week max like Joe SixPack. They must empty the vault on the way out. Already approved by who? Board of Directors? They ALL sit on each others good-old-boy boards! Land O' Goshen I am becoming crazy Frank.
Interesting but simplistic approach. Not that I'm advocating for single payer just know that nothing like this is ever simple.

^^^^^

Hey, guys! This is becoming such an interesting thread I almost forgot it's Introductions.
Where's the hello to the Doc?

Thanks for the input, but who pays for a single payer system? In what country does a single payer system truly work? The only countries that I know of with a "single payer system", have a two tier system....all of them, without exception....and it seems to work well for them. But get ready for long lines to get your healthcare if you are part of the free system.

tenor.gif

Thanks for the input, but who pays for a single payer system? In what country does a single payer system truly work? The only countries that I know of with a "single payer system", have a two tier system....all of them, without exception....and it seems to work well for them. But get ready for long lines to get your healthcare if you are part of the free system.
Watcha want to do now is click on Forums, select Politics and up near the top you'll see a Start New Thread button (red).
Make a thread and fasten your seat belt. Actually, where you're a conservative, you won't have much trouble around here unless one of us libs get drunk.

I don't post past dark, so I bid you an enjoyable evening, Doc.

All I know is that I pay $964 a month dictated by the ACA which has to cover my 58 yo single male pregnancy, mental health disorders, and pre-existing conditions which I don't have. I asked if I could get an individual policy without that unnecessary coverage without paying a huge tax and was told NO,....it's against the law.
I'm happy to subsidize the poor and unhealthy, but why should I be penalized for being a single, older, male by purchasing preganancy insurance ?? Please give me an adequate response from knowledgeable individuals who understand the difference between healthcare access and healthcare insurance. So far, no one in the government, the health care industry, or the health care providers, nor the self proclaimed talking heads in the main stream media have provided a single answer to these questions.
I'm sure I'll get a bunch of nasty responses from people that really don't have a clue about healthcare. I'll refer you to the New Zealand system which seems to work, but it is two tiered. Medicaid and Medicare are unsustainable monetarily. Both the Reps and Dems have no clue what they are doing in this regard.

Watcha want to do now is click on Forums, select Politics and up near the top you'll see a Start New Thread button (red).
Make a thread and fasten your seat belt. Actually, where you're a conservative, you won't have much trouble around here unless one of us libs get drunk.

Thanks, I guess??

All I know is that I pay $964 a month dictated by the ACA which has to cover my 58 yo single male pregnancy, mental health disorders, and pre-existing conditions which I don't have. I asked if I could get an individual policy without that unnecessary coverage without paying a huge tax and was told NO,....it's against the law.
I'm happy to subsidize the poor and unhealthy, but why should I be penalized for being a single, older, male by purchasing preganancy insurance ?? Please give me an adequate response from knowledgeable individuals who understand the difference between healthcare access and healthcare insurance. So far, no one in the government, the health care industry, or the health care providers, nor the self proclaimed talking heads in the main stream media have provided a single answer to these questions.
I'm sure I'll get a bunch of nasty responses from people that really don't have a clue about healthcare. I'll refer you to the New Zealand system which seems to work, but it is two tiered. Medicaid and Medicare are unsustainable monetarily. Both the Reps and Dems have no clue what they are doing in this regard.

The first step is to get a physical exam.

emot59.gif

Then a diagnosis.

emot174.gif

Finally a calmer downer.

36_1_401.gif

The good news.

23_11_571.gif

That'll be $8800.00

36_15_471.gif

Especially during a full moon........ :D

Forum List

Back