New Member, Let's See How It Goes

Jimmy_Jam

Sep 29, 2012
I hope to get some stimulating conversation from this site.

Let me first say that I refuse to give a summation of my political views in an introduction. I prefer to let people make the assumptions that most of them do.

I have a tendency to infuriate people from both sides of the horribly polarized political spectrum that our elected officials have successfully placed us, even those with whom I fundamentally agree. I've already run into it discussing the death penalty in my very first day! YAY FOR ME!

But seriously, I've been accused of playing Devil's Advocate many times in my life, and I guess it's true. It drives my wife nuts so I avoid it with her. As they say "happy wife, happy life."

The idea of Devil's Advocate as a role in debate goes back to the 16th Century, and is in my opinion a healthy part of testing one's position. Because of this, however, I tend to ruffle feathers.

Whatever happens, my endeavor in debating in forums is always the same: to be enriched, to have my views challenged, to learn, and if possible do the same for others. Frequently, however, I am perceived as an asshole. Sometimes, however, a small core of people get me.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Let me first say that I refuse to give a summation of my political views in an introduction. I prefer to let people make the assumptions that most of them do.

I have a tendency to infuriate people from both sides of the horribly polarized political spectrum that our elected officials have successfully placed us, even those with whom I fundamentally agree. I've already run into it discussing the death penalty in my very first day! YAY FOR ME!

But seriously, I've been accused of playing Devil's Advocate many times in my life, and I guess it's true. It drives my wife nuts so I avoid it with her. As they say "happy wife, happy life."

The idea of Devil's Advocate as a role in debate goes back to the 16th Century, and is in my opinion a healthy part of testing one's position. Because of this, however, I tend to ruffle feathers.

Whatever happens, my endeavor in debating in forums is always the same: to be enriched, to have my views challenged, to learn, and if possible do the same for others. Frequently, however, I am perceived as an asshole. Sometimes, however, a small core of people get me.

Sigh.

Welcome aboard sir......Reps your way.......... Once reloaded.

Sigh.

First you must pass the 'Gauntlet'.

What is the land airspeed velocity of an unladen european swallow?

Forum List

Back