New lead rules may be toxic to thrift stores

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
From Kate Bolduan
CNN

SILVER SPRING, Maryland (CNN) -- As Marilyn Seitz helps customers find just the right size, she wonders how much longer before she's forced to close her doors.

The Pennyworth Thrift Store in Silver Spring, Maryland, isn't suffering from the struggling economy. Secondhand stores across the country are more in demand than ever as many people are desperate to save money. Instead, Seitz is worried her business may become an unintended casualty of an attempt to protect children.

After a wave of highly publicized tainted-toy recalls last year, Congress passed the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. Then-President George Bush signed the bill in August, and new federal restrictions on lead and other harmful substances take effect Tuesday.

The new rules ban lead content beyond minute levels of 600 parts per million in any product for children 12 and younger. The law not only makes it illegal to manufacture lead-laced products, but it also makes it illegal to sell them no matter when the products were made -- and stores found breaking the law could face fines of up to $100,000 per violation.

New lead rules may be toxic to thrift stores - CNN.com

Seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether or not this applies to resellers. Typical government knee-jerk reaction. At a time when many people are going to these secondhand shops, pass a law that is confusing and carries draconian penalties for non-compliance, and chill the very part of the economy that actually could benefit from hard times. Way to go, republicrats.

The solution is fairly simple...if it's a toy made in China, trash it.

These "thrift stores" mostly get the stuff they sell for free, anyway.

They'll survive.

It's the yard sale people that have something to be concerned about, if anything at all.

It's the yard sale people that have something to be concerned about, if anything at all.

Somehow I suspect that the FEDs won't be attending every yard sale to monitor the resale of old toys.

I mean I know Obmama plans on creating new government jobs, but even he isn't quite there, yet.

Somehow I suspect that the FEDs won't be attending every yard sale to monitor the resale of old toys.

I mean I know Obmama plans on creating new government jobs, but even he isn't quite there, yet.

If the Feds did anything it would be to look for undeclared profits. :lol:

Seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether or not this applies to resellers. Typical government knee-jerk reaction. At a time when many people are going to these secondhand shops, pass a law that is confusing and carries draconian penalties for non-compliance, and chill the very part of the economy that actually could benefit from hard times. Way to go, republicrats.

so.. at what point does lead products become magically safe for kids?

I did a story when the library of the town I was living in had to recall the prizes they had handed out to very young children as part of a summer reading program, when it was found the toys had hazardous lead levels (these toys were made in china. Probably by children.)

Lead is not something you should screw around with. It takes a TINY amount to devastate a child's body, brain, and/or cause death.

The second hand stores should simply get rid of all the toys they have stored, and put into place a policy which allows for careful examination of all toys, or eradicate the "toy department" altogether.

I get toys at second hand stores, too. I'm very, very careful about what I choose, though, and I avoid the little toys.

Even so, I've found cockroaches in leggos I've nabbed....

Lead and lead dust is a serious danger. Miniscule amounts can have devastating permanent results. Even in adults. It can cause instant death in high enough level.

I know a guy who did renovations on his home and poisoned his daughter to the extent she required bone chelation. There's no way of knowing as yet on which kids it will have little or no affect and on which it will.

Forum List

Back