New law prevents mailing cigarettes to U.S. troops overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq are not getting cigarettes being mailed to them by friends and family because of a new law meant to curb smuggling and underage sales through the mail, according to The Associated Press.

A law went into effect June 29 that mandates that all packages with tobacco be sent through a specific type of U.S. Postal Service shipping that requires a signature for delivery. Even then, that type of shipping does not deliver to many military addresses abroad.

It has left friends and family, who want to send care packages to their loved ones, fuming.

"I would hope they change it," military wife April Woods said of the policy.

Woods, 26, said she would frequently mail her husband, a soldier stationed in Afghanistan, snacks, pictures, drink mixes and Marlboros.

She said her husband doesn't have easy access to stores on the bases and doesn't carry around much cash while stationed abroad.

"It's just ridiculous that they take so much away from our soldiers," Woods added.

Read more: New law prevents mailing cigarettes to U.S. troops overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan

Disgraceful.

The OP is a little misleading. ;)
They are not doing this to the military, the law has just made it harder for them to get cigarettes. It is stupid law, but it's purpose was not to harm the military.

They are not doing this to the military, the law has just made it harder for them to get cigarettes. It is stupid law, but it's purpose was not to harm the military.

Actually, the OP is pretty clear:
U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq are not getting cigarettes being mailed to them by friends and family because of a new law meant to curb smuggling and underage sales through the mail, according to The Associated Press.

It doesn't say it was being done to the military, just the consequences of this law. I think the law needs to be changed to eliminate this consequence.

well, since it's the military suffering I'd say it was being done to them. Shit you think the gov. would bend over backwards to get them what they need and want. what'd ya say? I can't hear you??

Why doesn't the government just send them the smokes on base for free, and whoever wants to smoke can get them when they want at the canteen?

I know Bootneck and his mates CANNOT smoke, because that alerts the enemy that they are near. (The smell of the smoke of course)

That makes sense too.

Forum List

Back