New kids on the block - Comcast

Cannot imagine the financial power of just Comcast Cable alone. Let's see 24 million subscribers paying on an average of say $100/month. That's about 2.4 Billion dollars per month, and now combining with GE, I cannot get over what 'small potatoes" I and we' are. In our lifetimes we don't make what they do in a few minutes.

Their financial leverage alone, is enough to make their part of the world their own, well at least until someone makes some bad investments. :lol:

Now, since the U.S. Government want to 'get into business' and support some of their insane ideas, like health care, automobile factories etc, why didn't THEY think of running a cable company, you know it would, I think, support all the 'freeloaders' in D.C. and elsewhere. Well, one thing for sure, they got plenty of GREEN to play with now, but then again, THAT'S the GREEN they were after anyway.........right?

Oh well, now what was this post about? :lol:

I've never understood this idea of GE as some radical liberal activist company anyway. Since 1990, their political donations have been split between the two parties almost equally (51% to Democrats, 49% to Republicans), and in any given cycle tilted toward the party with the majority in Congress.

I've never understood this idea of GE as some radical liberal activist company anyway. Since 1990, their political donations have been split between the two parties almost equally (51% to Democrats, 49% to Republicans), and in any given cycle tilted toward the party with the majority in Congress.

One always has to cover both sides until the axe falls. Kinda like keeping all your eggs out of one basket, I would surmise. It certainly 'pays' to have 'paid devotees' on both sides, it's just a sound business arrangement, and of course, :lol: everyday politics.

One always has to cover both sides until the axe falls. Kinda like keeping all your eggs out of one basket, I would surmise. It certainly 'pays' to have 'paid devotees' on both sides, it's just a sound business arrangement, and of course, :lol: everyday politics.

See, that I can agree to. Power ebbs and flows and it makes sense to stay well-connected on both sides.

Last edited:

And until a few years ago, Jack Welch epitomized conservative capitalism (Randism).

good point.

i would bet that if you went back to the founding of GE, your statement would still hold true. this notion of corporations being motivated by politics, left or right, has always struck me as specious. corporations exist for two reasons- to make money and avoid personal liability. period.

Cannot imagine the financial power of just Comcast Cable alone. Let's see 24 million subscribers paying on an average of say $100/month. That's about 2.4 Billion dollars per month, and now combining with GE, I cannot get over what 'small potatoes" I and we' are. In our lifetimes we don't make what they do in a few minutes.

Their financial leverage alone, is enough to make their part of the world their own, well at least until someone makes some bad investments. :lol:

Now, since the U.S. Government want to 'get into business' and support some of their insane ideas, like health care, automobile factories etc, why didn't THEY think of running a cable company, you know it would, I think, support all the 'freeloaders' in D.C. and elsewhere. Well, one thing for sure, they got plenty of GREEN to play with now, but then again, THAT'S the GREEN they were after anyway.........right?

Comcast has a lot of cash because they lock in their customers with sweet deals, then screw them with TV-Internet access rate hikes just as you get settled in. I dumped them three years ago, went with Dish Network which gave me a package having the 15 channels I always want, instead of only 12, a free DVR, and for $15.00 less per month. And they've never raised their rates on me. If you subscribe to Comcast's multi-package, phone, cable, Internet, and they go down, all three go down.

Comcast sucks.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

good point.

i would bet that if you went back to the founding of GE, your statement would still hold true. this notion of corporations being motivated by politics, left or right, has always struck me as specious. corporations exist for two reasons- to make money and avoid personal liability. period.

I know it's what I would do.

The wingnuts have spun off into a series of fantasy conspiracy theories.

My favorite is Glenn Beck's FEMA camps.

What an idiot!

Comcast has a lot of cash because they lock in their customers with sweet deals, then screw them with TV-Internet access rate hikes just as you get settled in. I dumped them three years ago, went with Dish Network which gave me a package having the 15 channels I always want, instead of only 12, a free DVR, and for $15.00 less per month. And they've never raised their rates on me. If you subscribe to Comcast's multi-package, phone, cable, Internet, and they go down, all three go down.

Comcast sucks.

i have the Dish myself Maggs....and i can only remember one rate hike of a couple of bucks a few years back and that was because of some tax the govt was levying on them......i get more for less than what Time-Warner offers....and a guy at work who has TW says he has gotten 4 hikes in the same time.....AND terrible customer service to boot,the Dish has always been there when i needed them....the reason i am so reluctant to switch to ATT U-Verse....

The wingnuts have spun off into a series of fantasy conspiracy theories.

My favorite is Glenn Beck's FEMA camps.

What an idiot!

you calling someone an idiot.....totally amazing....:eusa_eh:

Comcast sucks.

On this I 100% totally agree. They have, in my opinion, used every legal but dirty, maybe even a little deceptive trick to screw many out of their money. Like the comment prior to the "Digital Switch Over"...........paraphrased, 'if you have an analog TV, your covered with Comcast', Oh yeah, until the switchover. They give two digital boxes without charge to each household, yet they have crappy audio and a mediocre picture, no where as good as it was on our or others digital TV's connected directly to cable and not through their 'box'.
I have an A/B switch on one HDTV and the 720P or 1080i is available but the channel numbers are all over the place, but they are very good quality. With their box, on my sets, its a soft so-so picture no where near the actual quality and have to keep the sound way up as compared to, NOT using their 'box'.

Oh, and if you do try the A/B switch between their box and direct, guess what? Two times already their box comes up with a message and I had to call Comcast to have them 'activate' the box again, so is that worth it, NO. Apparently Comcast already thought of people doing this A/B thing, and made it so aggravating it would discourage those in doing it.
Why don't I have their digital service? Because I am sick of their nickle and diming me everytime I turn around, once you get the "new DIGITAL HI-DEF Box', I think they charge you for other 'digital packages' if you want more than the new box allows, they NEVER STOP the Scheming. I am switching over to one of the major satellite providers and putting an end to Comcasts B.S.
All these boxes, as everyone probably knows already, talk directly to the Comcast offices.
Digital also means, THEY, control everything, no matter who THEY are.

So you want Hi Def, baby your gonna PAY FOR IT!

Comcast sucks.

On this I 100% totally agree. They have, in my opinion, used every legal but dirty, maybe even a little deceptive trick to screw many out of their money. Like the comment prior to the "Digital Switch Over"...........paraphrased, 'if you have an analog TV, your covered with Comcast', Oh yeah, until the switchover. They give two digital boxes without charge to each household, yet they have crappy audio and a mediocre picture, no where as good as it was on our or others digital TV's connected directly to cable and not through their 'box'.
I have an A/B switch on one HDTV and the 720P or 1080i is available but the channel numbers are all over the place, but they are very good quality. With their box, on my sets, its a soft so-so picture no where near the actual quality and have to keep the sound way up as compared to, NOT using their 'box'.

Oh, and if you do try the A/B switch between their box and direct, guess what? Two times already their box comes up with a message and I had to call Comcast to have them 'activate' the box again, so is that worth it, NO. Apparently Comcast already thought of people doing this A/B thing, and made it so aggravating it would discourage those in doing it.
Why don't I have their digital service? Because I am sick of their nickle and diming me everytime I turn around, once you get the "new DIGITAL HI-DEF Box', I think they charge you for other 'digital packages' if you want more than the new box allows, they NEVER STOP the Scheming. I am switching over to one of the major satellite providers and putting an end to Comcasts B.S.
All these boxes, as everyone probably knows already, talk directly to the Comcast offices.
Digital also means, THEY, control everything, no matter who THEY are.

So you want Hi Def, baby your gonna PAY FOR IT!

to sum it up.....Cable TV sucks....

Forum List

Back