New Ice Age begins

mdn2000

Rookie
Sep 27, 2009
conservative hell california
Thats right, everywhere I go everyone is astonished at the freezing cold that has gripped Europe. I have the privilege of working with people from Slovenia, Argentina, Romania, and
Spain (I am in Spain). Everyone is talking about the sudden, abrupt change to winter so early in the season. The news is full of reports from England about the danger of the cold, I have yet to see the news this morning but last night the worry was they would not be able to move food on the frozen roads. Even the Russian TV station is speaking of extreme cold.

This is the beginning of a new Ice Age.

Dont look for the news reports in the USA, compared to the rest of the world there is a news blackout. So many events are not reported at all in the USA.

BBC News - European countries battle weather chaos

3 December 2010 Last updated at 05:19 GMT
European countries battle weather chaos

Snow brings further travel misery
In pictures: Snow blankets Europe
People across northern Europe are still facing heavy snow and freezing temperatures, with more cold weather forecast for the weekend.

Up to 28 people are thought to have been killed by the cold or in weather-related accidents.

Thousands of people have been left stranded after roads and rail networks were disrupted and airports closed.

In the Balkans, heavy flooding has forced more than 1,000 people to evacuate their homes.

Temperatures in Poland have fallen to as low as -33C (-27F) in the past few days.

• Banned
We have had a couple of very light flurries the last five days I have been here.

Watching the news in Spain is enlightening, Britain is being devastated by the cold and the snow.

Over 30 people dead across Europe due to the cold.

Snow in Europe sure as fuck doesn't=ice age. Decades of colder temperatures and growing glaciers do...Guess what, We don't have colder temperatures year after year or growing glaciers over much of earth. End of discussion...I been hearing about this coming ice age stuff for decades and yet it never comes and we will NOT have warning when it really does, but it will come with little or no warning. Period.

A bad winter for one part of the world like Europe doesn't mean that other parts aren't having well below normal snow. I think we're a few hundred years before the next cool period.

Last edited:
I wish it would have begun last summer when NW Ohio was sweltering in 100 degree heat from June thru September..

28 dead from cold over the whole of Europe in this cold snap. 11,000 dead just in Russia from the heat wave there last summer. Not exactly equal events.

The earth is a complex ecosystem that can respond dramatically to pressures over time. The whole weather complex is an attempt to equalize the temperature and moisture throughout the atmosphere. Due to the rotation of earth, the heating of the sun and cooling of the nights, not to mention the fluctuation of carbon and other elements, the atmosphere never attains this equalization. Some places are always enduring abnormal cold temperatures and some abnormal heat. The same goes for rain, snowfall and other weather related abnormalties. This is not unusal, it has been happening since the earth acquired an atmosphere.

Our puny lifespans make these instances seem like they are extrodinary events, where in reality they occur quite frequently in the life of the planet. This cold winter is just a blip in time and it will pass. Next year it may be a winter with higher than normal tempertures.

Its all relative!

Mother Nature proves once again that she's a bitch, and mankind can do little to change her mind.

Ice age or not, its impossible to say, what is clear is that if this is an ice age it will take hundreds of years before we have proof an ice age even started.

No scientist in the world can prove global warming or global cooling.

I for one pray for more global warming, its easy to see that the warmer the earth means more food production, less energy spent heating homes, less energy spent clearing snow.

we are better off if its warm

Ice age or not, its impossible to say, what is clear is that if this is an ice age it will take hundreds of years before we have proof an ice age even started.

I for one pray for more global warming, its easy to see that the warmer the earth means more food production, less energy spent heating homes, less energy spent clearing snow.

More food production? The odds are that desertification will accelerate with a hotter planet. If the central plains of the US turns to desert this would devastate the world food production. Other areas may open up to farming like in Canada but at the expense of the northern forests. Change is inevitable but it is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Less energy heating homes? More energy consumed to provide air conditioning and more people die from heat exposure working outside.

Less energy spent clearing snow? True but the increase in hurricane strength, more tornados and severe thunderstorms more than cancels out that cost. Homes destroyed, lives lost, crops destroyed.

As the world gets warmer it will get more violent. Cat 5 Hurricanes and the F6 tornado becomes probable.

More food production? The odds are that desertification will accelerate with a hotter planet. If the central plains of the US turns to desert this would devastate the world food production. Other areas may open up to farming like in Canada but at the expense of the northern forests. Change is inevitable but it is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Less energy heating homes? More energy consumed to provide air conditioning and more people die from heat exposure working outside.

Less energy spent clearing snow? True but the increase in hurricane strength, more tornados and severe thunderstorms more than cancels out that cost. Homes destroyed, lives lost, crops destroyed.

As the world gets warmer it will get more violent. Cat 5 Hurricanes and the F6 tornado becomes probable.

The recent warming has resulted in less hurricanes, not more.

More CO2 in the air increases food production.

More energy for air conditioning, not hardly, as you know we can solve this problem with technology.

A 2 degree increase in temperature is not going to turn the USA into a desert, you state more hurricanes, okay your right, that will drive more moisture into the interior of the USA, this is not speculation, its fact, check the farm reports for years with greater hurricane activity, more moisture is pushed into the farmland, rain actually decreases the temperature.

So if you believe global warming results in more hurricanes, this contradicts the america heartland turns into desert idea.

More energy for air conditioning, not hardly, as you know we can solve this problem with technology.

A 2 degree increase in temperature is not going to turn the USA into a desert, you state more hurricanes, okay your right, that will drive more moisture into the interior of the USA, this is not speculation, its fact, check the farm reports for years with greater hurricane activity, more moisture is pushed into the farmland, rain actually decreases the temperature.

So if you believe global warming results in more hurricanes, this contradicts the america heartland turns into desert idea.

Did I say more hurricanes??? I was saying an increase in the intensity and frequency of Cat 5's. Combined with a higher sea level and the further north these severe hurricanes will go the entire eastern seaboard will suffer devastation.

Technology is not the answer to everything. And you have to have places to grow crops. The land has to be fertile and the there has to be a steady supply of water and temperatures, not big fluctuations.

Changes in the jet stream guide hurricanes and most hurricanes are turned eastward after landfall. True we occasionally get the remnants of a hurricane here in Indiana once or twice a year but not nearly enough to grow crops. If that is the only rain we get … well, Chicago and great lakes would disappear.

What I am saying is that increased global warming is not good for the United States in the long run. There are too many variables to determine what will actually happen but there will be some very big ramifications.

Did I say more hurricanes??? I was saying an increase in the intensity and frequency of Cat 5's. Combined with a higher sea level and the further north these severe hurricanes will go the entire eastern seaboard will suffer devastation.

Technology is not the answer to everything. And you have to have places to grow crops. The land has to be fertile and the there has to be a steady supply of water and temperatures, not big fluctuations.

Changes in the jet stream guide hurricanes and most hurricanes are turned eastward after landfall. True we occasionally get the remnants of a hurricane here in Indiana once or twice a year but not nearly enough to grow crops. If that is the only rain we get … well, Chicago and great lakes would disappear.

What I am saying is that increased global warming is not good for the United States in the long run. There are too many variables to determine what will actually happen but there will be some very big ramifications.

I dont pretend to be an expert on weather, nor I am I stating what you are saying wrong, I simply relate what I learn, listening to farm reports, which include Indiana, farmers state the moisture from hurricanes increase crop yields.

Did you know hurricanes do not strike Rio De Janeiro.

Snow in Europe sure as fuck doesn't=ice age. Decades of colder temperatures and growing glaciers do...Guess what, We don't have colder temperatures year after year or growing glaciers over much of earth. End of discussion...I been hearing about this coming ice age stuff for decades and yet it never comes and we will NOT have warning when it really does, but it will come with little or no warning. Period.

A bad winter for one part of the world like Europe doesn't mean that other parts aren't having well below normal snow. I think we're a few hundred years before the next cool period.

Closer to a couple thousand.

So your conclusion about Global warming has two basic ideas that we can count on:

1. That you know exactly what will happen and that it will be very, very bad.
2. That there are too many variables for us to know exactly what will happen.

Does holding both of these ideas simultaneously present any problems for you?

Thats right, everywhere I go everyone is astonished at the freezing cold that has gripped Europe. I have the privilege of working with people from Slovenia, Argentina, Romania, and
Spain (I am in Spain). Everyone is talking about the sudden, abrupt change to winter so early in the season. The news is full of reports from England about the danger of the cold, I have yet to see the news this morning but last night the worry was they would not be able to move food on the frozen roads. Even the Russian TV station is speaking of extreme cold.

This is the beginning of a new Ice Age.

Dont look for the news reports in the USA, compared to the rest of the world there is a news blackout. So many events are not reported at all in the USA.

BBC News - European countries battle weather chaos

3 December 2010 Last updated at 05:19 GMT
European countries battle weather chaos

Snow brings further travel misery
In pictures: Snow blankets Europe
People across northern Europe are still facing heavy snow and freezing temperatures, with more cold weather forecast for the weekend.

Up to 28 people are thought to have been killed by the cold or in weather-related accidents.

Thousands of people have been left stranded after roads and rail networks were disrupted and airports closed.

In the Balkans, heavy flooding has forced more than 1,000 people to evacuate their homes.

Temperatures in Poland have fallen to as low as -33C (-27F) in the past few days.

Global warming will do that

Yes North America was far better when everything north of the Ohio River all the way to Canada was under a 6 mile deep sheet of ice

Forum List

Back