[NEW] How to Multi-Quote 'Bits and Pieces'

cereal_killer

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2012
Austin
multi-quote.png

Here's a cool little feature that I'm not sure anyone has discovered yet (since the newest update). This new way to multi-quote will take the place of the old "one" if you are looking to multi-quote SPECIFIC things members are saying. Here's how it works:
  • Left click and drag your cursor over the the specific text you want to quote (ie. highlight text/see above)
  • Choose +Quote or Reply (see above). Choosing +Quote will enter the highlighted text into the multi-quote que. Choosing Reply will reply ONLY to the text you highlighted.
  • Keep choosing/highlighting the text/members in posts that you wish to multi-quote and choose +Quote to add them to the multi-quote cue. When done scroll down to the text box and choose "insert quotes"
You will be presented with the all the quotes and usernames of everyone you quoted (see below).

insert-quote.png

You can now rearrange the quotes in whatever order you wish by hovering over the quote/entry (cursor will change) and by left clicking and dragging the quote up/down. You can also leave the quotes as is. Once your satisfied with the order choose "quote these messages" and away you go.

Enjoy.....

multi-quote.png

Here's a cool little feature that I'm not sure anyone has discovered yet (since the newest update). This new way to multi-quote will take the place of the old "one" if you are looking to multi-quote SPECIFIC things members are saying. Here's how it works:
  • Left click and drag your cursor over the the specific text you want to quote (ie. highlight text/see above)
  • Choose +Quote or Reply (see above). Choosing +Quote will enter the highlighted text into the multi-quote que. Choosing Reply will reply ONLY to the text you highlighted.
  • Keep choosing/highlighting the text/members in posts that you wish to multi-quote and choose +Quote to add them to the multi-quote cue. When done scroll down to the text box and choose "insert quotes"
You will be presented with the all the quotes and usernames of everyone you quoted (see below).

insert-quote.png

You can now rearrange the quotes in whatever order you wish by hovering over the quote/entry (cursor will change) and by left clicking and dragging the quote up/down. You can also leave the quotes as is. Once your satisfied with the order choose "quote these messages" and away you go.

Enjoy.....

So it's ok to quote only part of a poster's post? Am I understanding this new feature correctly? I just quoted someone (the old way) but the part I bolded and was responding to wasn't visible due to truncation, so I snipped the quote in order for the bolded part to be seen while truncated. I put an explanation in as to why I snipped the quote. Was that ok to do? Thanks.

So it's ok to quote only part of a poster's post?
Isn't that what the OP states? If you want to respond to a specific thing someone said, there's no reason to quote the entire post unless you want to (personal preference). If you list 10 things and I want to challenge the 3rd one it only makes sense to single that one out and respond to it, but thats just me. You're still free to quote the entire post and bold what you want.

I put an explanation in as to why I snipped the quote. Was that ok to do?
Yes it's fine.

The only problem members will run into is if they edit the quote to say something else. For example if I say "Obama likes to visit the Bahamas every summer...blah blah blah" and then you selectively quote and make it say "Obama likes to waste tax payers dollars every summer" and then say something like "Yes! I do agree CK!!!" <<<< thats an issue (against forum guidelines)

Purposely taking what members say out of context is also a no no (everyone already knows this but bears mentioning)

I'm trying it out.
So it's ok to quote only part of a poster's post?
Isn't that what the OP states? If you want to respond to a specific thing someone said, there's no reason to quote the entire post unless you want to (personal preference). If you list 10 things and I want to challenge the 3rd one it only makes sense to single that one out and respond to it, but thats just me. You're still free to quote the entire post and bold what you want.

I put an explanation in as to why I snipped the quote. Was that ok to do?
Yes it's fine.

The only problem members will run into is if they edit the quote to say something else. For example if I say "Obama likes to visit the Bahamas every summer...blah blah blah" and then you selectively quote and make it say "Obama likes to waste tax payers dollars every summer" and then say something like "Yes! I do agree CK!!!" <<<< thats an issue (against forum guidelines)

Purposely taking what members say out of context is also a no no (everyone already knows this but bears mentioning)

Looks like it worked, but I'm not sure if the nesting is right. I'll have to do another one.

just reverse order in nesting so newest is displayed with older as trailing, would fix everything.

* why not just display the posting names for (agree - thank you) as was done with favorites instead of the extra step of clicking "list" - seeing the names is what makes it meaningful ....

Just noticed this and came here to make a thread about it.

This is a truly awesome feature, and one that more people should know about. I predict that once people start getting used to Xenforo's quote functions, cool things like multiquote/this new selective quote feature will become the second most commonly used thing on the site.

The first, obviously, being the "I'll just click this little icon because I'm too lazy to write a proper reply" buttons.

If people have to do more than hit the actual Reply button good luck getting ANY feature into common usage. The multiquote issue is alive and well.

Can prevent mutliquoting by disabling all script permissions. Double-checking, I have none allowed. Loose the laggy rich text box and multiquote problem without loosing anything desireable. Since the change to new format, and disabling scripts, I've not lost anything I wanted, and not experienced any problems. Site works just fine sans scripts.

If not here tomorrow morning they silenced the rabblerouser spreading the good news to the prolitariate. :) Power to the People! Walk off your jobs! Turn off the machines! - "Ice Pirates" :)

Btw, if ya turn off scripts ya loose ads too, why they had me killed...:)

Forum List

Back