New House GOP majority makes good on ANOTHER promise....

I'm sure I'm not the first one to mention this, but unless the appeal includes auto insurance, how can we justify the latter while ruling the former unconstitutional? At least the former doesn't amount to an (completely) unfunded mandate

Not paying attention, eh?
Auto insurance differs in two regards: 1) If you don't have a car or don't drive on public roads you don't need it; 2) auto insurance is mandated by the states, not the fed gov.
I have no problem with a state like MA mandating coverage. It's dumb, but well within their powers. I do have a problem with the fed gov doing so, which clearly exceeds their powers.

G
I'm sure I'm not the first one to mention this, but unless the appeal includes auto insurance, how can we justify the latter while ruling the former unconstitutional? At least the former doesn't amount to an (completely) unfunded mandate

Auto insurance differs in two regards: 1) If you don't have a car or don't drive on public roads you don't need it; 2) auto insurance is mandated by the states, not the fed gov.
I have no problem with a state like MA mandating coverage. It's dumb, but well within their powers. I do have a problem with the fed gov doing so, which clearly exceeds their powers.

Oh so as long as it's the states mandating tyranny, it's all good. Gotcha.

This is just another one of those nonsensical distinctions only the neocons can make.

G

This is just another one of those nonsensical distinctions only the neocons can make.

It's called "the law" and it happens to govern this country. I am sorry ignoramuses like yourself cannot grasp the subtle distinction between a state and a federal government. Maybe you need to go back to school for Gov 1.

G

It's called "the law" and it happens to govern this country. I am sorry ignoramuses like yourself cannot grasp the subtle distinction between a state and a federal government. Maybe you need to go back to school for Gov 1.

And yet is is perfectly acceptable to you that the state can mandate insurance but the federal government can't

G

And yet is is perfectly acceptable to you that the state can mandate insurance but the federal government can't

It is acceptable in the sense that I agree they have the power to do so. I do not agree it is good public policy. I disagree that the FedGov even has the power to do so.

Forum List

Back