New guy...

soot

Rookie
Apr 17, 2012
Hey everyone.

I'm a new member; my name is Dan from Northwestern New Jersey.

I'm a long-time member of a rival US political discussion forum that tends to go downhill every couple of years and I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall again so I'm looking for a new home. Figured I'd give y'all a shot since you seem to be a fairly active community.

Politically I'm fairly independent. I'm socially pretty liberal but in most other respects I tend more toward the conservative. I'm not an ideologue or a partisan by any means. I've voted for Republican presidents pretty much all my life through President Bush (43) twice, then broke ranks and voted for President Obama. Congressionally I'm more likely to vote for a Republican than a Democrat but have also been known to vote against the Party of an incumbent President at midterm elections just to try to do my bit to keep Washington honest (it's never really worked).

This coming election I'm looking real hard at the independent candidate Robert "Naked Cowboy" Burck because, let’s face it, if Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are the best America can come up with we're in pretty sad shape as a nation in the human resources department.

Personally, I'm an alumnus of Rutgers University (BA in History/Political Science) and the School of Communications and Information at Rutgers (MLIS - Master of Library and Information Science). Professionally I'm a corporate librarian/ competitive intelligence analyst for a major financial service multinational. I'm also a U.S. Army veteran (11B 1990-1994 - no combat, nothing high speed).

I'm a married father of one boy (4 y/o) with another due in July.

For fun I run trails in NJ's state parks and forests, fish fresh and salt water (and am currently beginning the process of picking up fly fishing), camp, play Battlefield 3 ‘til much later than I should, participate in online discussion (political, obviously, military, and fishing) and otherwise spend time with my boy, my wife, my family and friends.

That's probably more about me than anyone ever wanted to know but one of my pet peeves in online communities is folks who don't introduce themselves so ya'll get to suffer for it.

I look forward to participating and getting to know the community.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

I'm a long-time member of a rival US political discussion forum that tends to go downhill every couple of years and I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall again so I'm looking for a new home. Figured I'd give y'all a shot since you seem to be a fairly active community.

Politically I'm fairly independent. I'm socially pretty liberal but in most other respects I tend more toward the conservative. I'm not an ideologue or a partisan by any means. I've voted for Republican presidents pretty much all my life through President Bush (43) twice, then broke ranks and voted for President Obama. Congressionally I'm more likely to vote for a Republican than a Democrat but have also been known to vote against the Party of an incumbent President at midterm elections just to try to do my bit to keep Washington honest (it's never really worked).

This coming election I'm looking real hard at the independent candidate Robert "Naked Cowboy" Burck because, let’s face it, if Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are the best America can come up with we're in pretty sad shape as a nation in the human resources department.

Personally, I'm an alumnus of Rutgers University (BA in History/Political Science) and the School of Communications and Information at Rutgers (MLIS - Master of Library and Information Science). Professionally I'm a corporate librarian/ competitive intelligence analyst for a major financial service multinational. I'm also a U.S. Army veteran (11B 1990-1994 - no combat, nothing high speed).

For fun I run trails in NJ's state parks and forests, fish fresh and salt water (and am currently beginning the process of picking up fly fishing), camp, play Battlefield 3 ‘til much later than I should, participate in online discussion (political, obviously, military, and fishing) and otherwise spend time with my boy, my wife, my family and friends.

That's probably more about me than anyone ever wanted to know but one of my pet peeves in online communities is folks who don't introduce themselves so ya'll get to suffer for it.

Welcome to USMB, soot. Hope you enjoy the boards. :)

Hey everyone.

:welcome: Looking forward for a great discussion with you. I am also a political person.

Welcome Dan. One small correction however, we have NO rivals or peers in the message board world.

Forum List

Back