New Guy on the block

smag

smag
Oct 1, 2008
Alabama
I am a male 65 year old US Army Vet (Vietnam) with a wife and son who is in the Army (Airborne, Ranger,all that stuff). I am a Christian Conservative who has voted Republican all my life. However, I am so fed up with the liars in Washington in both parties that I am switching to Independent. This is almost a joke, because in the end there are only two choices. I am very bitter seeing what has happened to my coutry over the past 30 years. I love my country but distrust my Government. I see Vietnam and Iraq as two peas in a pod. I have visited one or two of the Liberal sites and must admit that I feel like I vistied the moon. I wish I could understand them. But what the heck I don't really understand the Republican party which is supposed to be conservative. I believe that as a people we need to better understand each other and what makes each of us tick if for no other reason than to understand you enemy. I know that is a terrible attitude but when I went on the Huffington Post to try to understand how they think, I thought I was in a foreigh country. I would appreciate any feedback

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!

I am also a Vietnam Era Vet.

Yes, I also see Iraq as just another Vietnam.

I'm not a vet. But I am a Marine Mom .... he is out now. Thank God! But I agree Iraq is another Vietnam. A no win situtation ... or 'victory' ... as they claim it to be.

This is strange, but just an observation, most of those who support the Iraq ware are not even associated with the military, most of those who support the troops but not the war are.

This is strange, but just an observation, most of those who support the Iraq ware are not even associated with the military, most of those who support the troops but not the war are.

Your overgeneralization of "support the Iraq War" leaves much to be desired.

Some people did not support the decision to invade, even though there was justification for doing so, but support winning it since we're in it.

While there ARE similarities to Vietnam, the two wars are not alike by just as many dissimilarities.

It was just an observation, as stated, and only said most not all, also didn't want to get into full detail. Observations are just that, never based on fact or polls or anything specific, just how one sees it.

Some people did not support the decision to invade, even though there was justification for doing so, but support winning it since we're in it.

While there ARE similarities to Vietnam, the two wars are not alike by just as many dissimilarities.
One was in the jungle and the other is in the desert. Other than that, there is very little difference.

Both were started based on a lie.

Both had a President lying to the people.

Both had Generals saying "Victory" is right around the corner. (all the while knowing we are just pissing in the wind)

Both were unwinnable and unsustainable for the long run.

Both were unpopular

Both killed tens and tens of thousands of the people we were supposedly trying to help.

Should I go on? There is alot more!

Last edited:
Smag,

In my opinion the Huffington liberals represent the limo liberal wing of the Democratic party.

They seem to be more overtly Democratic Leadership partisans than true liberals.

And no, the Democratic party is no more authentically liberal now, than your Republican party is authentically conservative.

Trust NO partisans of either party is my motto.

Those wankers love their parties more than they love their nation.

I spent 26yrs in the Army. Served in Vietnam. During that era I was gung ho like most of my contemporaries. I do and always will love what my country stands for.

But I see little difference between Bush and Johnson. Little difference between Rumsfeld and McNamara. Westmorland was an idiot. At the Army War College they teach of the hundreds of stupid mistakes in prosecuting the war. There are tactical differences clearly. However the overwhelming desire to spin battle reports are the same as I saw in Vietnam. We were encouraged to inflate body count reports of enemy dead. The Vietnamese would fight when they wanted to just as the Iraqis do (I am told). The Vietnamese Government was corrupt and so is the Iraq Government. We used to have an expression when on patrol or an ambush. Don't get too far out front because if you do you may turn around and be by yourself. Of course these are not absolutes but generalizations.

I can only speak of personal experiences. I told my son (an officer in Army) t) when Bush began to beat the drums of war (yes I realize that Saddam violated almost all of the UN sanctions) that if this thing (removing Saddam and removing WMD) took over a year then Iraq would turn into another Vietnam. So it is. The only difference that I am grateful is that the vast majority of the so called media and citizens that oppose the war "proclaim" their support for the troops but are against the war. For all intensive purposes when you count the cost in American Lives and dollars I fear that we have lost a tremendous treasure in lives and money and for all of that we have gained nothing. We have removed Saddam who was a reasonable adversary to Iran. It is cold but my concern is not for world peace but for reasonable peace and prosperity in this country. We simply cannot be the policeman of the world. Most of the Military (my son included) of course does not agree with me in total and that is ok. I told him that I can understand what not many want to say. And that is the military desires to practice their trade. Imagine a lawyer who never goes into court.

Anybody that believes that crap that Patton said that no soldier wants to go to war has not read much about Patton. Granted He was a true American Hero, but he had an ego the size of Texas. I had the privilege of meeting Gen Bradley about a year before his death and he in so many words said the same abut Patton and Montgomery. Sure I would like to think we could win. But it is like winning some kind of moral victory. A very High price. I hope I did not run off at the mouth too much but someone said my position was too general.

Last edited:
...and now the'll ask you to break it down into readable paragraphs. :)

But according to some on here you can't support the troops if you don't support the war. I know I support my three friends over there right now!

Also Welcome!You will have fun!

One was in the jungle and the other is in the desert. Other than that, there is very little difference.

Both were started based on a lie.

Wrong.

Both had a President lying to the people.

Wrong.

Both had Generals saying "Victory" is right around the corner. (all the while knowing we are just pissing in the wind)

Which Generals. Name them and provide links to their quotes.

Both were unwinnable and unsustainable for the long run.

Wrong. Both were easily winnable.

Both were unpopular

Only with the left.

Both killed tens and tens of thousands of the people we were supposedly trying to help.

Which war has not?

Should I go on? There is alot more

Let's see ... you've been wrong on every count. You're more than welcome to try again, or continue to make a fool of yourself. No skin off MY back.

I am a male 65 year old US Army Vet (Vietnam) with a wife and son who is in the Army (Airborne, Ranger,all that stuff). I am a Christian Conservative who has voted Republican all my life. However, I am so fed up with the liars in Washington in both parties that I am switching to Independent. This is almost a joke, because in the end there are only two choices. I am very bitter seeing what has happened to my coutry over the past 30 years. I love my country but distrust my Government. I see Vietnam and Iraq as two peas in a pod. I have visited one or two of the Liberal sites and must admit that I feel like I vistied the moon. I wish I could understand them. But what the heck I don't really understand the Republican party which is supposed to be conservative. I believe that as a people we need to better understand each other and what makes each of us tick if for no other reason than to understand you enemy. I know that is a terrible attitude but when I went on the Huffington Post to try to understand how they think, I thought I was in a foreigh country. I would appreciate any feedback

Welcome to the Board smag

Liberalism is a mental illness, so it's no wonder you didn't fit in with them. The Republican Party has been hijacked by the neoconservatives which are similar to LBJ (which explains the Vietnam and Iraq wars).

Welcome!

Hi,

I read your post, and I am new to this forum too. In fact you are my first person to send a reply to.

Anyway, I have had it too with Washington. After finding out that the Bailout Bill passed, I decided not to vote for Obama or McCain. Instead, I will vote for Ralph Nader. My spouse has had it too; however, my spouse chooses not to vote at all. I know that there are probably people out there that feel the same way as my spouse, but I want my vote to count. And I feel by voting for Nader, Washington will see that "we the people," are fed up.

So, don't feel alone. I'm sure many out there are fed up 2.

At this point, I think we have fullfilled our commitment, and it does seem to be the surge that did so. I had questioned the surge, but see it as at least putting Iraq in a state that the Iraqi government and people have a chance to make it as a country. I am not sure what else we can do for Iraqi at this point. Sinice even Iraq has made it clear they believe they can take it from here, now is a good time to start to move our troops to more important areas. I am not sure what win really means to some. To me, we have won what we set out to do. Could you define what your meaning of it is, and when you think we have completed our commitment, and if not already when do you see it happening?

Thanks,

Mike

Forum List

Back