New GI Bill Needs A Re-Write

JimofPennsylvan

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2007
It has been reported in the media that the New GI Bill will cost $ 52 billion dollars which is a shocking amount of money for its magnitude. Can’t the nation some how get that figure down and accomplish the noble goals of that initiative. The following analysis seems to be warranted. The men and women in uniform that have fought in the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war who have been in harms way deserve every dollar of the benefit that will be offered by this program and should absolutely get it. But, the American people can’t afford to expand this program beyond these veterans, the American people just can’t afford it. These wars are already throwing $200 plus billion dollars a year onto the deficit and thus on our children’s backs, it just isn’t right. This New GI bill should be limited to only those veteran’s that set foot in the countries of Iraq or Afghanistan or their coastal waters or their air-space since 9-11.

It has been reported in the media that the New GI Bill will cost $ 52 billion dollars which is a shocking amount of money for its magnitude. Can’t the nation some how get that figure down and accomplish the noble goals of that initiative. The following analysis seems to be warranted. The men and women in uniform that have fought in the Iraq war and the Afghanistan war who have been in harms way deserve every dollar of the benefit that will be offered by this program and should absolutely get it. But, the American people can’t afford to expand this program beyond these veterans, the American people just can’t afford it. These wars are already throwing $200 plus billion dollars a year onto the deficit and thus on our children’s backs, it just isn’t right. This New GI bill should be limited to only those veteran’s that set foot in the countries of Iraq or Afghanistan or their coastal waters or their air-space since 9-11.

No it can't get the money down and it's probably not enough. Start taxing higher education. THEY can afford it.

Force Congress to pass each piece of proposed legislation in its own right, exposing all the pork. The savings there should more than cover it.

The money's there. It's just being misused.

No it can't get the money down and it's probably not enough. Start taxing higher education. THEY can afford it.

Force Congress to pass each piece of proposed legislation in its own right, exposing all the pork. The savings there should more than cover it.

I agree... and if you look at the bill, the funds freeze at exactly the time we can start expecting troops to be brought back... there won't be enough resources for them.

And yes, the money's being misused by things like paying more to privatize the operation of Walter Reed than it cost for government to operate it; things like paying haliburton employees more for jobs that our troops do for far less; that kind of thing.

I agree... and if you look at the bill, the funds freeze at exactly the time we can start expecting troops to be brought back... there won't be enough resources for them.

And yes, the money's being misused by things like paying more to privatize the operation of Walter Reed than it cost for government to operate it; things like paying haliburton employees more for jobs that our troops do for far less; that kind of thing.

Can you even agree with me without tossing in some partisan crap? How about a Rainforest in Iowa?

One side of the political aisle is no more guilty for pushing pork than the other. When it comes to that, BOTH parties are thick as thieves.

Notice I said make each piece of legislation stand on its own merit? I didn't say make each piece of Democrat or Republican legislation ... they're all the same animal.

Can you even agree with me without tossing in some partisan crap? How about a Rainforest in Iowa?

One side of the political aisle is no more guilty for pushing pork than the other. When it comes to that, BOTH parties are thick as thieves.

Notice I said make each piece of legislation stand on its own merit? I didn't say make each piece of Democrat or Republican legislation ... they're all the same animal.

One, I agree with you.

Two, YOU think it's partisan crap. I think it's part of the disservice being done to vets. I'm not talkng about pork, per se, or I would agree with you that both parties bear responsibiity. But in terms of the privatization, that's purely repub, IMO.

One, I agree with you.

Two, YOU think it's partisan crap. I think it's part of the disservice being done to vets. I'm not talkng about pork, per se, or I would agree with you that both parties bear responsibiity. But in terms of the privatization, that's purely repub, IMO.

Close Reed. Ohh wait, never gonna happen cause of the perks Congress gets by using it. And correct me if I am wrong but weren't the Dems DEMANDING something be done about Reed? Rather then force the lazy ass Government employees to actually DO THEIR jobs for once? Last I checked Congress is controlled by Democrats. And has been Since January of LAST year. So exactly when do THEY become responsible for what our Government does?

One, I agree with you.

Of course you aren't talking about pork; which, is my point. Instead, you choose to point out something that you claim is "purely republican." I don't suppose it's worth the effort to actually look up any such bills and speculate about all the "D" "yeas"?

Or should we check out all the privatization that happened during a Democrat President's 8 years in office?

Again, there is no one party more guilty than the other as far as perpetuating the bureaucracy is concerned. Believing such nonsense is just bleeting along with herd.

Close Reed. Ohh wait, never gonna happen cause of the perks Congress gets by using it. And correct me if I am wrong but weren't the Dems DEMANDING something be done about Reed? Rather then force the lazy ass Government employees to actually DO THEIR jobs for once? Last I checked Congress is controlled by Democrats. And has been Since January of LAST year. So exactly when do THEY become responsible for what our Government does?

Aren't you paying attention? They're thumping their chests over defying Bush on refilling the strategic oil reserve.:lol:

End the wars. They've cost upwards of a trillion dollars and climbing.

I don't think you were complaining when we spent 50 billion dollars to build iraqi schools and hospitals. Why are you complaining now, that money is being spent on americans?

While I agree with the rest, I'm not sure what you meant by taxing higher education. Do you mean that individuals should pay a tax to attend?? Or that colleges should pay a tax to exist? As far as individuals paying, it's very expensive, and getting more expensive every year. I had a rough time getting through college financially, as do many students.

Now, I say if anything should be done, let the GI's attend college for free. That's what scholarships are, basically...the college let's you go their for free. If a college gives you a scholarship, all they do is give you an "imaginary" budget that you use. They just simply let you go their until this imainary money is gone. Then you start to pay. They do this with sports athletes, why not with GI's?

Forum List

Back