New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Vel, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    I predict a surge in the popularity of cigarette cases. :eusa_whistle:

Good news: New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit

POSTED AT 6:00 PM ON JUNE 21, 2011 BY ALLAHPUNDIT
    Federal health officials on Tuesday released their final selection of nine graphic warning labels to cover the top half of cigarette packages beginning next year, over the opposition of tobacco manufacturers…

"The four leading tobacco companies were all threatening legal action, saying the images would unfairly hurt their property and free-speech rights by obscuring their brand names in retail displays, demonizing the companies and stigmatizing smokers…"

"The question now, as in November, is why stop at cigarettes? Ciggies may be addictive but the percentage of American smokers is actually lower than the percentage of obese residents for most states. How long before every Happy Meal box carries a photo of a 350-lb. man with his shirt off? Gotta control health-care costs somehow. Exit question for constitutional lawyers: How likely are the cigarette companies to prevail on their First Amendment claims? I know that the feds can regulate commercial speech more easily than other forms, but we’re on the doorstep here of the government making an entire industry’s advertising/branding choices for it."

Good news: New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit « Hot Air

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Absolute in-your-face federal nanny-ist bullshit.

You could force all cigarette manufacturers to put smokes in a black package, with a white skull and crossbones, labeled "death on a stick", and people would still smoke.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    It's a good question. I mean 50 percent of the package is a lot of real estate... :eusa_think:

I should start my own line of cig-pack pouches, which will fit slim around one pack of smokes. They'll come in different colors and designs, a perfect way for concealing those disgusting labels.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I would actually buy those smokes just because of that bad-ass packaging. :lol:

5. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    I think cigarette cases will be like cell phone covers were a few years ago. There's money to be made there.

6. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,724
    How many people buy a pack of cigarettes and take the time to read the instructions (in english and spanish)? You could put a skull and crossbones on the packs and it wouldn't make a difference. The product is a guaranteed income for the state and feds. The poor middle and lower income people have to pay $5.00 for a product that costs about .75 to produce.

7. Nate

Nate VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I've often wondered that! They(government) want us to quit but how would they make up the lost revenue from the taxes on cigarettes, what will be the next "evil?" Start taxing products with high fructose corn syrup?
    This won't be my battle for much longer though... Gotta quit by August, place I work for is going smoke free. So instead of running out to the parking lot every time I need to smoke, I'm just giving it up... Anybody have any suggestions? Thinking about looking into those E-Cigarettes.

8. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I would be interested to see an audit of ware all the cigarette tax money has been spent.

9. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,882
    The tobacco companies are a cash cow for all levels of government.

10. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Heck yeah they are. I cant find anything about it, but for some reason I remember the pro tax, anti tobacco crowed saying that it was going to be used to help out with tobacco related illness and such. Anyone herd anything about that ?