New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
I predict a surge in the popularity of cigarette cases. :eusa_whistle:

Good news: New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit

POSTED AT 6:00 PM ON JUNE 21, 2011 BY ALLAHPUNDIT
Federal health officials on Tuesday released their final selection of nine graphic warning labels to cover the top half of cigarette packages beginning next year, over the opposition of tobacco manufacturers…

"The four leading tobacco companies were all threatening legal action, saying the images would unfairly hurt their property and free-speech rights by obscuring their brand names in retail displays, demonizing the companies and stigmatizing smokers…"

"The question now, as in November, is why stop at cigarettes? Ciggies may be addictive but the percentage of American smokers is actually lower than the percentage of obese residents for most states. How long before every Happy Meal box carries a photo of a 350-lb. man with his shirt off? Gotta control health-care costs somehow. Exit question for constitutional lawyers: How likely are the cigarette companies to prevail on their First Amendment claims? I know that the feds can regulate commercial speech more easily than other forms, but we’re on the doorstep here of the government making an entire industry’s advertising/branding choices for it."

Good news: New FDA graphics for cigarette packs might just make you vomit « Hot Air

Exit question for constitutional lawyers: How likely are the cigarette companies to prevail on their First Amendment claims? I know that the feds can regulate commercial speech more easily than other forms, but we’re on the doorstep here of the government making an entire industry’s advertising/branding choices for it."

It's a good question. I mean 50 percent of the package is a lot of real estate... :eusa_think:

I should start my own line of cig-pack pouches, which will fit slim around one pack of smokes. They'll come in different colors and designs, a perfect way for concealing those disgusting labels.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Absolute in-your-face federal nanny-ist bullshit.

You could force all cigarette manufacturers to put smokes in a black package, with a white skull and crossbones, labeled "death on a stick", and people would still smoke.

I would actually buy those smokes just because of that bad-ass packaging. :lol:

Exit question for constitutional lawyers: How likely are the cigarette companies to prevail on their First Amendment claims? I know that the feds can regulate commercial speech more easily than other forms, but we’re on the doorstep here of the government making an entire industry’s advertising/branding choices for it."

It's a good question. I mean 50 percent of the package is a lot of real estate... :eusa_think:

I should start my own line of cig-pack pouches, which will fit slim around one pack of smokes. They'll come in different colors and designs, a perfect way for concealing those disgusting labels.

I think cigarette cases will be like cell phone covers were a few years ago. There's money to be made there.

How many people buy a pack of cigarettes and take the time to read the instructions (in english and spanish)? You could put a skull and crossbones on the packs and it wouldn't make a difference. The product is a guaranteed income for the state and feds. The poor middle and lower income people have to pay $5.00 for a product that costs about .75 to produce.

How many people buy a pack of cigarettes and take the time to read the instructions (in english and spanish)? You could put a skull and crossbones on the packs and it wouldn't make a difference. The product is a guaranteed income for the state and feds. The poor middle and lower income people have to pay $5.00 for a product that costs about .75 to produce.

I've often wondered that! They(government) want us to quit but how would they make up the lost revenue from the taxes on cigarettes, what will be the next "evil?" Start taxing products with high fructose corn syrup?
This won't be my battle for much longer though... Gotta quit by August, place I work for is going smoke free. So instead of running out to the parking lot every time I need to smoke, I'm just giving it up... Anybody have any suggestions? Thinking about looking into those E-Cigarettes.

The tobacco companies are a cash cow for all levels of government.

Heck yeah they are. I cant find anything about it, but for some reason I remember the pro tax, anti tobacco crowed saying that it was going to be used to help out with tobacco related illness and such. Anyone herd anything about that ?

Heck yeah they are. I cant find anything about it, but for some reason I remember the pro tax, anti tobacco crowed saying that it was going to be used to help out with tobacco related illness and such. Anyone herd anything about that ?

Not sure about the federal taxes, but I'm almost positive that for a portion of the state tax here (like 75 cents on a pack) go to what's called a health impact fee which funds anti-smoking and awareness campaigns and I think some of it also goes into the state's Medicaide/care fund. And like another 25 cents on a pack goes into a fund maintained by either the state or the feds which is used for court settlements. Then there's the state sales tax on top of that, plus any local sales tax, plus an additional tobacco excise tax. Basically like half the price of a pack is in taxation.

Not sure about the federal taxes, but I'm almost positive that for a portion of the state tax here (like 75 cents on a pack) go to what's called a health impact fee which funds anti-smoking and awareness campaigns and I think some of it also goes into the state's Medicaide/care fund. And like another 25 cents on a pack goes into a fund maintained by either the state or the feds which is used for court settlements. Then there's the state sales tax on top of that, plus any local sales tax, plus an additional tobacco excise tax. Basically like half the price of a pack is in taxation.

Damn, what would they do if we all quit ?

they have done this in canada for a long time...it was shocking for all of a hot minute ....then we slapped down the ten bucks and lit up

they have done this in canada for a long time...it was shocking for all of a hot minute ....then we slapped down the ten bucks and lit up

Im giving up the ciggi's and sticking with pot and a little blow now and then. Its cheaper.

o i havent done cigs in ages....perhaps 3 years ....i gave up blow a long time ago...it was too speedy around here...no quality control

Im giving up the ciggi's and sticking with pot and a little blow now and then. Its cheaper.

o i havent done cigs in ages....perhaps 3 years ....i gave up blow a long time ago...it was too speedy around here...no quality control

Rare for me with the nose candy to. I am getting old after all. But I wont give up the weed. Not ever.

Absolute in-your-face federal nanny-ist bullshit.

You could force all cigarette manufacturers to put smokes in a black package, with a white skull and crossbones, labeled "death on a stick", and people would still smoke.

Yeah they would.

If anything that might encourage more of us to smoke more.

Doesn't make sense?

Addiction seldom does.

Forum List

Back