New Evangelism: Mini Loans

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Inspiring the amount of good active congregations can do in the world.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0512/p01s03-woaf.html?s=hns

New evangelism: mini loans

By Michael D. Kerlin | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor

KIGALI, RWANDA – In a working-class neighborhood on the edge of Rwanda's capital, Anathasie Mukamana has built a small charcoal empire. A rattling bicycle taxi shuttles her along the Kabeza district's dusty main road between her two vending sites. On her rounds, she hurries an occasional smile to her customers, but more often wears the squinting eyes of a serious businesswoman.

Ms. Mukamana employs three people and brings in nearly $3,000 a year - that's in a country where 60 percent of the people live on less than a dollar a day. For her success, she thanks the congregation at her local Assembly of God - and not just for their prayers, but for a small loan.

These days, Christian and other religious organizations, both here and around the world, are lending more than just a hand. Microloans - of as little as $100 - have become as much a part of their ministries as preaching the gospel. While microlending for budding entrepreneurs has long been recognized among development experts as one of the best ways to fight global poverty - in fact, the United Nations has dubbed 2005 "The International Year of Microcredit" - religious organizations are increasingly adopting the Talmudic sentiment that the noblest form of charity is helping others to dispense with it.
CONTINUE ARTICLE @ LINK

NATO AIR said:
Inspiring the amount of good active congregations can do in the world.
" in fact, the United Nations has dubbed 2005 "The International Year of Microcredit" - religious organizations are increasingly adopting the Talmudic sentiment that the noblest form of charity is helping others to dispense with it."

can someone help me understand what this statement means?

dilloduck said:
can someone help me understand what this statement means?

I haven't a clue...I'm still working on the $.50 words...oh well I'm sure someone in here will will show us how dumb we are...lol :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back