New Doctor Who announced - It's a woman!

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Not sure if I'm thrilled with this.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as 13th Doctor

The next star of Doctor Who has been announced after intense speculation – and the person stepping into the role of Time Lord is Jodie Whittaker.

She is the first woman to take on the role, playing the 13th Doctor in the BBC1 drama. Whittaker, who rose to fame in ITV’s crime drama Broadchurch, had been touted as one of the contenders.

Debate has been whirring over who would play the Doctor ever since Peter Capaldi announced in January that he was leaving the programme.

Chris Chibnall, Doctor Who’s new head writer and executive producer, said: “After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor.

“I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away.

Well, she has to be better than Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

Well, she has to be better than Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

Matt Smith was pretty awesome in the role. I would say he's probably the best except for Tom Baker, who owned it.

Capaldi wasn't that bad, I think the problem was he was a little too old and cranky... But he had some great moments.

I actually prefer either one of them to Drama Queen David "I don't want to go" Tennant.

Well I won't watch it if they do.
They just went Political Correct and ruined another good traditional show.

Tennant beat the hell out of Smith, IMO.

Agree, Baker owned it

A show about an alien who flies around in a magic phone box is "traditional"?

I think that a gender change in the main character does change much of the dynamic. Will this Doctor now have male companions? (Most of the companions have been female over the series 54 year run) Does the Master now come back as a male? (Yeah, I know she "died" in the season finale, shot in the back by an earlier version of herself, but the Master has been "Killed" so many times I've lost count.)

I think it will all come down to the writing. I think that the Moffat team got lazy in the last two seasons, personally..

there goes that series......
May be the shot in the arm it needs.

MV5BMjQ1NjQ3MDU1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIxMzI5MjI@._V1_.jpg

Worth looking at, anyway

A show about an alien who flies around in a magic phone box is "traditional"?

I think that a gender change in the main character does change much of the dynamic. Will this Doctor now have male companions? (Most of the companions have been female over the series 54 year run) Does the Master now come back as a male? (Yeah, I know she "died" in the season finale, shot in the back by an earlier version of herself, but the Master has been "Killed" so many times I've lost count.)

I think it will all come down to the writing. I think that the Moffat team got lazy in the last two seasons, personally..

The long time in the show running.

I see another attempt at wiping out men in general with anti traditional.
I used to love Dr. Who, then they went to political correctness.
I was cool with the gay thing, but now they went totally anti men.
Watch the ratings drop BBC

Not sure if I'm thrilled with this.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as 13th Doctor

The next star of Doctor Who has been announced after intense speculation – and the person stepping into the role of Time Lord is Jodie Whittaker.

She is the first woman to take on the role, playing the 13th Doctor in the BBC1 drama. Whittaker, who rose to fame in ITV’s crime drama Broadchurch, had been touted as one of the contenders.

Debate has been whirring over who would play the Doctor ever since Peter Capaldi announced in January that he was leaving the programme.

Chris Chibnall, Doctor Who’s new head writer and executive producer, said: “After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor.

“I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away.

How sad that Dr. Who is getting the Ghostbusters treatment.

there goes that series......
May be the shot in the arm it needs.

MV5BMjQ1NjQ3MDU1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIxMzI5MjI@._V1_.jpg

Worth looking at, anyway
the guy has been a man for over a thousand years.....i doubt this will work out to well.....and on the Doctor Who forum,many fans were saying if they pick a woman they will probably not watch,and this was from many Brits posting.....so we will see.....

I'm not sure how having the doctor regenerate into female form is "Anti-Men" exactly. They have already established a Time Lord can change gender or race in a regeneration.

I thought the whole Arc with "Missy" (The Doctor's nemesis The Master in female form) was actually pretty good, but only because Michelle Gomez was such a joy to watch.

I am looking at the over all dismantling of men all (years added up)together from shows to political movements, you name it.

I'm not sure how having the doctor regenerate into female form is "Anti-Men" exactly. They have already established a Time Lord can change gender or race in a regeneration.

I thought the whole Arc with "Missy" (The Doctor's nemesis The Master in female form) was actually pretty good, but only because Michelle Gomez was such a joy to watch.
so what does he now become Joe,a man trapped in a womans body?....and what happens if the ratings drop 50%?....they are taking a big gamble with this show.........

so what does he now become Joe,a man trapped in a womans body?....and what happens if the ratings drop 50%?....they are taking a big gamble with this show.........

I agree they are. Given that there was considerable erosion of the ratings during Capaldi's run, I'm not sure that was a good idea.

Then again, continuing to do the same thing over and over again, people will get bored.

"Look, everyone, the Cybermen are back!"

"Again?"

It follows the same pattern every time

1. New Doctor named
are they crazy?
this is the best doctor ever.
why are those idiots making a change now?
2. First couple of shows with new doctor.
I guess it's OK, but it's not as good as it was.
I'll still watch it, but I don't expect it to last much longer
Writing is pretty good, I guess the new guy will do, but it could be better
3. A few shows in. He's no longer the NEW Doctor. He's just the Doctor.
not sure why I didn't want this guy. he's different than the one before, but still pretty good.
4. New Doctor named
are they crazy?

I agree they are. Given that there was considerable erosion of the ratings during Capaldi's run, I'm not sure that was a good idea.

Then again, continuing to do the same thing over and over again, people will get bored.

"Look, everyone, the Cybermen are back!"

"Again?"
then you get better writers.....this season was pretty ho hum.....but making the Doctor a transsexual or whatever the term is....horrible idea.....

It follows the same pattern every time

1. New Doctor named
are they crazy?
2. First couple of shows with new doctor.
I guess it's OK, but it's not as good as it was.
I'll still watch it, but I don't expect it to last much longer
Writing is pretty good, I guess the new guy will do, but it could be better
3. A few shows in. He's no longer the NEW Doctor. He's just the Doctor.
not sure why I didn't want this guy. he's different than the one before, but still pretty good.
4. New Doctor named
are they crazy?

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, the fans never really warmed up to Colin Baker or Peter Capaldi. But mostly, it's the case. And they do lose fans. My neice was a big fan of Matt Smith, but she stopped watching after Capaldi became the Doctor.

Looking at Whittaker's IMDB page, I've seen her in a couple of things prior to this, including Broadchurch.

Forum List

Back